Complete at last! Back again - we just can't stay away from DLP - PTR & TR

smallpig

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,

As it's now officially next month that we go back to DLP - :banana::banana: and it's such a horrible rainy day outside, I thought I'd start a pre trip report!

The plan

• From Sat 28th April to Tues 1 May.
  • Travelling by Eurostar via Lille from St Pancras International (10 minutes from home, fortunately for us!)
  • Staying at Hotel Elysee Val D'Europe

Who are we?

Two adults who should know better - me 20something and my boyfriend 30something. I'd been a few times before but visited together for the first time last June (boiling hot - read abut it here), bought APs and are officially hooked! Went back in October (for Halloween - read about it here) and just had to get in another trip before our APs expire!

Now I know it's going to be pretty busy because it's a French bank hol and some schools are still off - but I hope that with the extended hours, and 4 days instead of 3 this time, we'll be able to do everything we want.

As we have APs it's so much cheaper to stay off site, but we're looking forward to the upgrade from the Ibis (fine, but pretty basic!) to the L'Elysee which looks more like a proper hotel! Also we get breakfast, bonus!

So far we have Buffalo Bills booked for the Saturday night through the recent offer. I also know we want to eat at Agrabah Cafe, Walts, possibly Blue Lagoon again and of course the Earl of Sandwich (yum!). I think we'll do Agrabah Cafe maybe for a late lunch on the Sunday.

Can't wait to get there and see all the 20th celebrations - once we know what time the Dreams show/parade is on I'll plan more! :)

You've got a great trip planned :thumbsup2

Love that it's 'officially next month' :lmao:

We're going 6 May and I'm holding off until my 'next month' before doing a PTR :)

You've got a great trip planned :thumbsup2

Love that it's 'officially next month' :lmao:

We're going 6 May and I'm holding off until my 'next month' before doing a PTR :)

Only one pay day away now (also a bit worrying!). Am trying to wait until April before entering super planning mode....

Less than a month to go - planning time!

Trying to decide whether to go for the Dreams package for one of our three nights- then maybe Annette's for the other. For lunch I'm thinking agrabah cafe as weve never made it there and love middle eastern type food one day and earl of sandwich the others. Plus the obligatory hotdog 'snacks' for my other half!

I am resolutely NOT looking at Dreams videos and spoilers to keep it a surprise! But looking at our old pics last night had me very excited! Can't wait!

You're doing well not looking at anything Dreams related :) I've looked a million times and it's adding to my excitement :goodvibes

I've been thinking about the Dreams package too - might wait to hear some reviews of where to stand etc before deciding.

Happy planning :goodvibes

well done for not watching dreams. I was trying not to but then the temptation just got too much, I think it will be truly amazing to see in person:goodvibes. We are thinking of trying Agrabah for the first time on this trip too.

well done for not watching dreams. I was trying not to but then the temptation just got too much, I think it will be truly amazing to see in person:goodvibes. We are thinking of trying Agrabah for the first time on this trip too.

I saw a little bit on the channel 5 show then switched off! Enough to be VERY excited but not enough to spoil it! Can't wait! Nearly in single digits!

As the ticker says--- one week to go! :cool1::cool1:

Carrie_Cats exciting news that we can now get. EMH with our fantasy APS means some more planning... I think we'll try do and do EMH on Tuesday (last day) and maybe Monday.

I'm expecting the parks to be busy so I think having a main meal at lunch while it's packed is the way to go. I was thinking of agrabah cafe on Sunday, then perhaps walts and Annette's the other day. We loved blue lagoon last time but not beng big fish eaters the menu is not ideal for us- though having said that it's worth it for the atmosphere so we can make do with the chicken! We'll see!

I am also thinking about doing the Disneyland park tour one day- but I think this will depend on crowds and weather.

Off to Westfield Stratford later to get some new glasses and holiday bits and bobs. Has anyone else been to the new Disney store there- it's great- the new stores have this lovely area for 'kids' to sit and watch disney movies and are really well themed. Well have to stop by for a Disney fix and see if there's any dlrp stuff!

1 week - exciting :yay::yay::yay:

EMH as a must - get so much done, but I love it just for the beautiful view of Main St when it's almost empty :love: Looking forward to it even more now that the stage is gone :rotfl2:

I feel the same about Blue Lagoon, but Pirates if one of favourite rides, so I think I'll be hunting out some reviews before we go - I really want to eat there.

I was in our local Disney store last weekend and didn't notice anything for the DLP 20th. Maybe it's just all online :confused3

Enjoy your last week planning :)

Me again - 3 days to go!!

I'm keeping a close eye on the weather forecast, seems dlp is under the same rain cloud we are :( but forecast seems to have improved since I checked last night, still chance of showers but a little warmer.

As you ladies will know, uncertain weather wreaks havoc with the packing process! Boots or trainers? Mac or winter coat? :confused3:confused3

I have ordered a Snazzy parka for the ocassion! To replace my geography field trip style one! http://www.matalan.co.uk/fcp/produc.../55567&resultsPerPage=100&attrList=Dept,brand

Also purchased the all important euros today- nearly ready!

Have a great trip. the Euro rate is really good today so you did well there
:cool1::cool1::cheer2::yay::banana:

Not long now!!! :banana:

I can't believe you've not looked at Dreams yet - you are good!! Hope you love it :love:

Re: wet weather - make sure you have spare shoes (of any description) so that you always have one dry pair! Layers plus a waterproof may be best, but it depends on how much you feel the cold? You can always invest in a lovely DLP poncho while you're there!! :thumbsup2

I have been emailed about DLP 20 stuff from Disney Store but I haven't been in person to the store, may have to visit soon though... :rolleyes1

Have a great trip & don't forget to tell us all about Dreams when you get back!

Hi everyone :wave2:

It has been a long time since our April/May trip and since I was hanging out on the Dis. This summer has been pretty busy with lots of good things but now the summer and London 2012 are over and it's time to get back to thinking Disney thoughts!

But before I dive in to next trip planning - a few highlights from our last trip that might be interesting/useful if you are planning to do similar things. Sorry if the pics are a bit big, I'm not sure how to resize on here? :confused3

Transport

Eurostar from St Pancras via Lille -great as usual. Having now gone via Lille twice and Gare du Nord once, I'd pick Lille if prices and times allow. Much nicer to swap platforms on to the spacious TGV than get new train tickets and faff around with changing in busy Paris. BUT please don't be put off changing in Paris, that's fine too - just Lille is the better of the two for us!

On the way back the Lille train was delayed by about half an hour which was a tad annoying.

Hotel Elysee Val d'europe

We've always stayed offsite with our APs, but decided to upgrade from the Ibis this time and stay in a slightly more hotel like hotel.

Here's our room -
232323232%7Ffp635%3A2%3Enu%3D4388%3E238%3E25%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3B6%3B%3B687534%3Cnu0mrj

The rooms are pretty big, with a double and single beds, big bathroom and lots of cupboard space. Very clean and comfy.

But the best thing -

232323232%7Ffp63572%3Enu%3D4388%3E238%3E25%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3B6%3B%3B979334%3Cnu0mrj

Look- you can see Disney from the window! We could actually see the fireworks at the end of Dreams on the night we didn't go to the show.

Breakfast at the hotel was fairly chaotic and basic, but fine to get some tea, coffee and carbs in you before a busy day.

We got the free shuttle on the first day, but it took longer than the RER! But it's free and if it happens to be leaving when you are then a nice option.

Firsts for us-

Visiting the DLH

232323232%7Ffp635%3A7%3Enu%3D4388%3E238%3E25%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3B6%3C283%3C834%3Cnu0mrj

Thanks to the Dis I knew you could just pop into the DLH for a wander and a drink. I think this was on the Saturday when it was really busy in the parks, and quite warm. The DLH was a lovely peaceful way to spend an hour in relative calm and...

232323232%7Ffp635%3C%3A%3Enu%3D4388%3E238%3E25%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3B6%3B%3B9%3A8934%3Cnu0mrj

sample some Mickey waffles! Yum! Pretty pricey but a nice experience. We also generally wandered around the hotel (used their luxury loos!) and pretended we were rich!

Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show

I had done this as a kid but couldn't remember much - we loved it!
232323232%7Ffp63589%3Enu%3D4388%3E238%3E25%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3B6%3C283%3C634%3Cnu0mrj

We booked through one of the deals Carrie_Cat posted. I'd say we'd struggle to justify going again at full price, but as a one off it's great. Food wasn't amazing but was plentiful and I loved that it was entertainment from start to finish! There was a girl obviously on her hen do dressed as minnie who was chosen to go in the wagon thing at the end - what an awesome hen do idea!

Agrabah Cafe

Sad to say this wasn't a highlight. We'd been really looking forward to this as it had always been closed on previous trips, but (DON'T READ ON IF YOU ARE EATING!)... a poor kid was sick right in front of the buffet and they just didn't clear it up for AGES. I am completely squeamish about sick (not sure how this will work if I ever have kids..) and just ruined it for me. Plus the staff were obviously run off their feet, were pretty grumpy at each other and the customers and so generally a thumbs down. :(

Otherwise I thought I'd just share some of our findings, must dos and hints -

*Eat early! Eat in the village around the time of the parade if you can, shorter queues for the likes of Annette's and quieter parks when everyone else is eating pre dreams
* Don't forget your fastpasses! So many people just didn't seem to understand how these work - we managed to do our fave long wait rides (SM, BTM, RnR etc) with hardly any queues just with some clever FP use. And remember, it's possible to have two FPs at once so if you pick up a BTM FP at 11 with a return time of 6pm, you can get another one two hours later (I think!).
*Embrace the rain! We went on Indy twice and BTM with no wait (on a day of 60 min + queues) by braving the dinner time rain!
*If there are two dreams shows - see the first one then go on the rides while everyone watches the second! We went on SM with no wait and then Buzz two or three times in a row one evening.
*Take time out - especially when hot and busy and you have a long day, just go sit somewhere quiet (like the DLH) and calm down!
* Don't forget your free drinks - check your lunch receipts for the afternoon free drink offer - every euro counts..

Finally - some more random pics:

232323232%7Ffp63634%3Enu%3D4388%3E238%3E25%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3B6%3C283%3C534%3Cnu0mrj
Lunch at Colonel Hathi's - our fave counter service...

232323232%7Ffp63578%3Enu%3D4388%3E238%3E25%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3B6%3C23%3B6534%3Cnu0mrj

Lovely sunny day

232323232%7Ffp63557%3Enu%3D4388%3E238%3E25%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3B6%3C23%3B8734%3Cnu0mrj

Ducklings in Frontierland (by the station)- aww!

232323232%7Ffp63563%3Enu%3D4388%3E238%3E25%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3B6%3C27%3A3734%3Cnu0mrj

Double rainbow over Discoveryland

232323232%7Ffp63579%3Enu%3D4388%3E238%3E25%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3B6%3C2843534%3Cnu0mrj

And last of all, Dreams...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter