• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Complaints about kids at restaurants

disneysarge156

Gianna, Joey and Dominic's Daddy
I've noticed some people on these boards rip, flame, whatever you call it, parents who want to bring their kids to the nicer WDW restaurants. I know Victoria and Alberts is adults only and I like that, but a restaurant like the California Grill is very family friendly. The staff cater to kids that dine there. One waiter actually cut a little girls steak at the table next to us. I have 1 question for the people who thumb there noses at the families like eat at the nicer restaurants. Do you think the kids get irritated when people without kids eat at the character meals? WDW is a fantastic family place thats is meant for EVERYONE!. Sorry for the rant, I overheard a couple saying how rude these parents were that brought their kids to the Yachtsman Steakhouse. The kids were great!

I don't have kids, but I have to agree with the OP. I have seen many many well behaved children at the nicer restaurants and very few who were not. I wondered if parents who take children to nice restaurants on vacation also take them at home.....so they know how to behave and are used to sitting for a nice meal. Or maybe it's just that when you are relaxing in the AC with good food you have less reason to be irritable?;)

We enjoy watching other people's children at WDW, including at restaurants. This year, we plan to go with friends who have a 6-year old. We can't wait to watch a child that we know and love!!!!:lovestruc

Totally agree that everyone (with or without children) should be able to enjoy the nice restaurants at wdw.

I think that when people complain, its more an issue with the children's behavior and not just the fact that a child is in the restaurant. It's wdw and that means kids are around - some even argue that wdw is just for kids (but we know better ;))

It's probably more when children are having a fit or being loud that people have the problem - And let's face it, they would have a problem with loud adults as well.

Personally I think most kids in the restaurants are well behaved & don't see it as a negative when I am seated next to a family with children. Come on, it's wdw!

Kids learn from experience. All these "nicer" restaurants have kid's menus for a reason.

Our children are now grown but we started taingk them to what people would describe as signature restaurants when they infants. It was always interesting when they 'd point out an adult who was behaving badly in these restaurants. We plan on continuing the tradition in December with our DGD.

9 times out of 10 it is the parents of the children that I have a problem with. Well behaved children are a delight...and I certainly don't expect any child to have perfect behavior. :littleangel:

The problem is typically the parents.

1) parents who push their exhausted children too far

or

2) parents who don't want to get up from their meal... to take their children out of the restaurant when they are being disruptive.

I always took my kids when they were younger to the signature restaurants when we were vacationing at WDW. They were always well behaved. :thumbsup2 I think since it's WDW and if you're children are well rested then definately bring them to the nice restaurants. It's a family vacation. :goodvibes

I totally agree with the first poster. I am a child development major and future teacher and enjoy watching the children at WDW. We didn't eat eat any signature restaurants but I don't remember any children at restaurants that weren't well behaved. At Teppan Edo (EPCOT-Japan) we were at a table with 2 very well behaved little boys. It was one of their birthdays and I was shocked when the other sat quietly and ate his fruit cup while his brother had cake.

I also agree that most of the time the if there is a problem, it is with the parents and not the children.

Not saying kids or parents always behave the right way but IMO if you're heading to WDW for a vacation expecting to not see kids just because you're at one of the nicer restaurant then you're being a little unrealistic :cutie:

Not saying kids or parents always behave the right way but IMO if you're heading to WDW for a vacation expecting to not see kids just because you're at one of the nicer restaurant then you're being a little unrealistic :cutie:

Yeah I do expect to see kids...

I just hope that the parents of those kids actually parent...which means monitoring the behavior of their children. :thumbsup2

Children learn by doing. I don’t see anything wrong with children going to ‘finer’ restaurants.... With that being said, parents should ensure that their children behave appropriately at those restaurants.

Children learn by doing. I don’t see anything wrong with children going to ‘finer’ restaurants.... With that being said, parents should ensure that their children behave appropriately at those restaurants.
Right. I'm happy to see kids at nice restaurants ... except for the two boys at the next table at GFC last Friday who spent the time between finishing the meal and leaving throwing Jack Skellington action figures at each other and hitting me in the process.

I think the OP is perhaps being a bit imprecise. Most of us do not mind kids at restaurants - even the really nice ones. What we do mind is poor parenting skills which result in children making it difficult for others to enjoy their meal.

I love seeing children in the restaurants!! I have 2 children. My 4 and 1/2 year old daughter is wonderful at a the dinner table and has better manners than I have seen some adults display! My 16 month old son, however, is the reason that we are doing QSDP this summer! When he is eating he is VERY happy and well behaved... but when he is done... HE IS DONE!!! I do not want to feel rushed and stressed out when i am eating so QS is the better choice for us now. :)

Most of us do not mind kids at restaurants - even the really nice ones. What we do mind is poor parenting skills which result in children making it difficult for others to enjoy their meal.

I completely agree. Sometimes the kids actually MAKE the disney experience. But I just cannot stand poor parenting or a lack thereof. Otherwise though, most kids can spark our inner child, especially while at Disney : )

I find it funny when people complain about poor parenting skills. I would say to them, what about poor adult skills?

I've seen adult meltdowns, touching buffet food, not washing hands, yelling, not properly dressed, etc, etc, etc. I could continue this list...

Tiger

to keep it real.............you can talk about good kids, bad kids or is it the parents? the facts are that there are children that are just one step above wild animals. i observe them amost daily. in every situation i can tell you, in my opinion, it is due to the fact that society has put a scarlett letter on any parent who trys to correct their children. i raised three daughters and will tell you that there was never....never..........a situation that would cause a disturbance in a public place. they simply knew that it was unacceptable, anytime that it even looked like it might happen they were removed from the situation even if it meant we all would suffer and told "i dont know what you were thinking about doing but you need to rethink it or we all go home right now. some of these kids throw food, throw each other, scream, run amuck, etc, and the parents just look at them with glassed over eyes. they are afraid to "correct" them for fear of someone calling the Gendarme's. when i was 10 my dad picked me up at school one afternoon and the teacher came outside and told my dad that i had picked on some other kid and would not stop when i was told to. my dad looked the teacher right in the eye and said "did ya crack 'im one?" thats how i grew up and i think sometimes you just have to get someones attention before you can teach them anything.

If your children are extremely tired and cranky maybe a 2 hour meal at Citricos isn't the best place for them, that is all.

If your child becomes agitated remove them, take them for a walk.

I don't want to hear a child screaming, running through the restaurant, or banging on a table when I'm paying $$$$ to eat there.

If your kids are well behaved and polite, no problem.

There are some places that are just not for kids like Bistro de Paris, Victoria & Alberts, and Shulas. The rest of the on-property restaurants are pretty kid friendly and I don't think kids are out of place. Just make sure you are considerate of your fellow diners and take your children or drunk uncle out of the restaurant if they are not behaving.

If your kid is screaming their head off at Pecos Bills take them outside, I don't want my bleeding ears to drip on my cheese fries.

If your children are extremely tired and cranky maybe a 2 hour meal at Citricos isn't the best place for them, that is all.

If your child becomes agitated remove them, take them for a walk.

I don't want to hear a child screaming, running through the restaurant, or banging on a table when I'm paying $$$$ to eat there.

If your kids are well behaved and polite, no problem.

There are some places that are just not for kids like Bistro de Paris, Victoria & Alberts, and Shulas. The rest of the on-property restaurants are pretty kid friendly and I don't think kids are out of place. Just make sure you are considerate of your fellow diners and take your children or drunk uncle out of the restaurant if they are not behaving.

If your kid is screaming their head off at Pecos Bills take them outside, I don't want my bleeding ears to drip on my cheese fries.

:worship::worship::worship:

my thoughts exactly!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter