complaint about Splash Mountain

pennylynn

Mouseketeer
I had what I considered a problem with Splash Mountain. We were there a week ago. I was going to get Fast Passes but the end of the regular line was at the bottom of the stairs. So I'm thinking that it won't be long before we're on the ride. WRONG. It took 40 minutes before we got on the ride because they kept stopping the regular line to let the Fast Pass people on. Now I understand the reason for Fast Pass but isn't there some way to keep the regular line moving? Some of the rides simply have two lines all the way and load on different sides of the ride. Some of the rides merge just before getting on the ride. But this one just plain stopped. I can't imagine what it would be like when the crowds are high. The crowds were very low but there was an almost constant line for Fast Pass. The whole thing was very irritating. Anyone else had this problem? :confused3

I had what I considered a problem with Splash Mountain. We were there a week ago. I was going to get Fast Passes but the end of the regular line was at the bottom of the stairs. So I'm thinking that it won't be long before we're on the ride. WRONG. It took 40 minutes before we got on the ride because they kept stopping the regular line to let the Fast Pass people on. Now I understand the reason for Fast Pass but isn't there some way to keep the regular line moving? Some of the rides simply have two lines all the way and load on different sides of the ride. Some of the rides merge just before getting on the ride. But this one just plain stopped. I can't imagine what it would be like when the crowds are high. The crowds were very low but there was an almost constant line for Fast Pass. The whole thing was very irritating. Anyone else had this problem? :confused3

Even if they had two lines, they'd still have to let more people on for the Fastpass side, so you wouldn't go any faster. Ditto for merging before the ride - that'd just make ALL of you in the non-FP lane shuffle forward at a slower rate. Regardless of how the line is set up, the Fastpass people will always get on before you.

Just out of curiosity - what did the Stand-by sign say your wait time was going to be? I generally find they're accurate, no matter what the line looks like from the ground (a lot of them are designed to look shorter than they are).

I don't get it. You were near the FP and saw the line ending where???

Each ride has a "formula" of how many FP riders to let in compared to how many standby riders. You may have gotten in line just as an influx of FPs arrived.

Just curious, what was the posted stand-by time when you got in line?

Oh I get it!!! You are one of those people who give us FASTPASS users the evil eye as we sail right on by those of you standing in regular line!! :rotfl:
No really, unless its says there is a 10 minute wait, always utilize your fastpass opportunity!!

Unfortunetely some lessons are hard learned. If fastpass return time is within an hour like it was last week ALWAYS get the fast pass and do something else for that hour that doesn't have a huge line.

We did this for Splash, went over to Pirates rode, walked around a little, and then before you know it, we were in the FP line, passing by hundreds of people. I couldn't believe it. People will spend 30 minutes in line, but not an hour waiting for a fast pass to come due while doing something else.

Sorry about your wait, but look at the positive side, it was a learning experience and next time you won't find yourself waiting.

Wait times are always posted for the regular line, and that's based on real people carrying that card through the line. Always trust that and not your eyes!

I had this happen on Toy Story Mania in May. I just shrugged and said "should have got a fastpass, lesson learned". I'd be upset if I had a fastpass and they were letting the standby line go in droves causing a 40min wait, but one of the perks of getting a fastpass is that you get on FASTer.

Sorry the situation frustrated you, but them's the breaks. It's kinda like choosing the wrong line at the supermarket, just cuz it looks short doesn't mean beans.

That's the way it works. When we were there last month with my DH's family, they were first-timers. I showed them how to make full use of the FP system and they said they felt like they were getting the VIP treatment all week. They couldn't believe we never waited longer than 10 minutes for any line.

We experienced the same thing on 11/7. They would hold the regular line for 10 to 15 minutes (I am not exaggerating) and allow a steady stream of fast-passers on. As a result, while the regular line was short it moved extremely slow. When I asked why one of the ride sups who as at the front of the line along with the CM collecting fast-passes and controlling both lines, he stated that they had a ratio of fast-passers to regular riders to follow. I don't know what their ratio was but it seemed out of whack. We rode other rides that day with and without fast passes and did not experience what we did on Splash Mtn.

PJ

We experienced the same thing on 11/7. They would hold the regular line for 10 to 15 minutes (I am not exaggerating) and allow a steady stream of fast-passers on. As a result, while the regular line was short it moved extremely slow. When I asked why one of the ride sups who as at the front of the line along with the CM collecting fast-passes and controlling both lines, he stated that they had a ratio of fast-passers to regular riders to follow. I don't know what their ratio was but it seemed out of whack. We rode other rides that day with and without fast passes and did not experience what we did on Splash Mtn.

PJ

I have a hard time believing this.

I had this happen on Toy Story Mania in May. I just shrugged and said "should have got a fastpass, lesson learned". I'd be upset if I had a fastpass and they were letting the standby line go in droves causing a 40min wait, but one of the perks of getting a fastpass is that you get on FASTer.

Sorry the situation frustrated you, but them's the breaks. It's kinda like choosing the wrong line at the supermarket, just cuz it looks short doesn't mean beans.

We've done the same thing for Buzz Lightyear. we opted to go through stand-by because it was only a 20-minute wait. i counted 100 FP guests for every 20 stand-by guests. that's just the way it is. and that's also why we use FP whenever we can. :thumbsup2

It's funny to see this posted, because I think Splash Mountain is one of the worst at accurately displaying the stand-by time. In my opinion, it always seems to be about 20-30 minutes longer than the posted time. The same goes for Space Mountain.

Those who utilize fast pass are waiting just like those in the regular line. They are just able to do other things during their wait.

Those who utilize fast pass are waiting just like those in the regular line. They are just able to do other things during their wait.

Exactly. We just did this the other night, picked up a not too far in the future FP for Buzz Lightyear, went on the COP and the People Mover...and then walked on Buzz Lightyear. Meanwhile people were standing in a 40 minute standy by line.

:confused3

I guess I am glad everyone hasn't mastered this method though, because this occurred on a Saturday night at 8:30pm. If everyone figured it out there would never be FPs available that late! :laughing:

It's those dirty people using the late FPs!!!;)

Oh dear. I've gone an stirred the pot, haven't I?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter