Competition for the DIS?

quiltymom

DIS Veteran
Here's something interesting. I just participated in an online survey with Disney after visiting the Disney World site. Here's what I read on one of the pages:

Walt Disney World is considering a web site that will allow Guests to share their vacation experiences and discuss topics related to Walt Disney World Resort. Guests will get perspectives from people like themselves who have visited Walt Disney World and know all of the “do’s and don’ts” first hand. From question and answer sessions, to personal experiences detailed in blogs, to ratings and reviews of everything Walt Disney World has to offer, the web site will give Guests all the information they need to plan and book their vacations. Walt Disney World will edit responses to remove inappropriate language, but all other entries will be posted “as is” to allow Guests the chance to read real feedback from real people. Everyone can use the site to read general comments and feedback, but Guests must register in order to create their own postings.

The site may include features like:

• Personal Profiles: Your profile includes information about you, your family and your Walt Disney World vacation plans. Some information is private which means that other members can’t see it. Other information can be made public so that members can identify and connect with you. Guests will be able to choose which information they want to share.

• Search: Guests can search for a range of information within the site including other members (people with similar vacation needs, families, vacation experiences, etc.); photos and videos; and customized maps highlighting other Guests’ favorite activities.

• Ratings and Reviews: Read reviews and ratings of Walt Disney World resorts, parks, attractions, vacation packages, golf and dining. Registered members can also post their own ratings and reviews.

• Messageboards: Read, contribute and start discussions to help you plan your Walt Disney World vacation. The most helpful and popular contributors will be given special “expert” status to celebrate their value to the site and to help other guests find them.

• Blogs: Write your own personal journals or read journals created by other members. Journals cover a range of subjects including vacation planning and capturing memories of previous vacations.

• Wiki: Read and contribute to a factual “library” of descriptions of Walt Disney World. The facts are written and maintained by members, not the Walt Disney company.

• Live Chat: Get behind the scenes details by joining scheduled live sessions where members can talk to Disney Cast members.

• Photo sharing: Upload and share your personal Disney vacation photos with other members.

• Map sharing: Create customized maps to highlight your favorite park activities and share them for other community members. Learn how other members made their way through the parks by viewing their customized maps.

• Q&A Forum: Post Walt Disney World questions and comments to a “community certified” panel of experts. Each member will have a rating score, based on feedback from other members, qualifying them as an expert.

• Syndication: Publish your favorite Disney community content (such as photos, messageboard discussion topics or personal journals) on other community websites that you use.

So, what do you think?

I wonder if any negative comments will mysteriously disappear. I wouldn't trust info I got from a site sponsored by disney to be unbiased- if you want the real deal about any product you go to an independent reviewer, not the manufacturer..

My guess is that this is just an attempt to keep more people booking trips, hotels and tickets through Disney directly rather than someone else...as I'm sure the site will be directly linked into CRO (or whatever they are calling it these days) through ads, links and click here offers. I'm betting they will even have the "click here to talk to a Disney rep live" so you can ask questions...ie hard sell you a trip.

They did comment that all entries would be looked over for any inappropriate language, etc., which would be removed, but that opinions would be left as is.

I also thought the same thing - would Disney actually let someone give a negative comment on a sponsored board? It's an interesting thought.

Disney can take negative comments. Their own plants and the fanbase themselves do very good jobs on most sites to keep the "disgruntled" in their place.

What Disney wants to do is make money. The speech they want to surpress is the stuff that hits them in the pocketbook - trading discount codes, advice on off-site hotels, links to travel agencies, etc. And naturally all the "certified experts" will be loaded with all kinds of hints and secrets about how to increase the "magic" of your stay...all with upcharge events, tickets and premiums.

Think about how much money Disney looses each time someone clicks on an airport shuttle service that offers a stop at a grocery store. Combine that with an "internet exclusive pin offering!" sale and suddenly you've got yourself a profit center.

What Disney wants to do is make money. The speech they want to surpress is the stuff that hits them in the pocketbook - trading discount codes, advice on off-site hotels, links to travel agencies, etc. And naturally all the "certified experts" will be loaded with all kinds of hints and secrets about how to increase the "magic" of your stay...all with upcharge events, tickets and premiums.

Think about how much money Disney looses each time someone clicks on an airport shuttle service that offers a stop at a grocery store. Combine that with an "internet exclusive pin offering!" sale and suddenly you've got yourself a profit center.

You have a point there. I guess I didn't think of those aspects b/c I never take advantage of them (TA's, shuttle service, discount codes). Overall I'm expecting the official website to be about as useful as the official guidebook- full of pretty pictures and little substance.

AV, I figure you'll be one of the first to sign up. You'd have to feel like a kid in a candy store.

Interesting........Get paid to surf the internet and be a shill.....I suppose it's not too far off from any other sales job. So I wonder how many "trip reports" are contrived?

Like any other business these days, Disney wants in on the "social networking" buzz, which seems to be where this type of project would be heading. It's not going to replace anything currently out there in "unofficial" space, but as AV pointed it, does create another revenue opportunity.

Wonder what'll happen when they start getting those "There was mold in the bathroom at OKW" or " I found a dead a fly in my Brown Derby salad" or " Housekeeping broke into my room at Saratoga Springs and stole my computer" --sort of posts???

i wonder how many references to "unofficial sources" will disappear. Would they consider "check out the DIS" to be "inappropriate language"?

Another part of the whole shinding is that CEO Bob Iger gets all gooey eyed whenever you mention the word "Internet". Within Disney it's like it's 1999 all over again and everyone is laughing at Pets.com's sock puppet ads.

Iger has spent his entire life in a broadcast network. That's how he sees the world. To him, "growth" means finding new ways to sell the same product - broadcast television, cable television, satellite television, pay-for-view...and now !!The Internet!!. He's driven with a zeal that can only be worked up by lazy people on the trail of "easy" money.

And the easiest way to do something is to copy what already exists.

You know what - I don't want to chat on a Disney controlled website, nor do I want to trade pictures of cats in fairy costumes. What I want from Disney is a website that will let me easily book the hotel I want at a good price (not the horrid "offer" system alwasy tries to book me into a suite at the Grand Floridian), I want to make dinner reservations on-line without having to sit on the phone for hours, I want a website that makes my booking my visit easy and enjoyable.

You know what - I don't want to chat on a Disney controlled website, nor do I want to trade pictures of cats in fairy costumes. What I want from Disney is a website that will let me easily book the hotel I want at a good price (not the horrid "offer" system alwasy tries to book me into a suite at the Grand Floridian), I want to make dinner reservations on-line without having to sit on the phone for hours, I want a website that makes my booking my visit easy and enjoyable.

While I don't buy into all your conspiracy theories, I do believe you are a passoinate old school Disney fan with a great deal of info that Disney needs to hear/read. I would think that a Disney run website would be a great outlet for your beliefs. Having a constructive discussion with a Disney Board Moderator could produce real change. About all that you accomplish here is educating a few of the open minded brand monkeys ( is "brand monkeys" still allowed here ? ) and whizzing off those that want to just Bicker.

It all seems too little too late! Disney could have been doing this ten years ago! With all the many wasted on go.com you would thnk they could have created the ultimate chat board for Disney fans and Disney travel.

I would think that a Disney run website would be a great outlet for your beliefs. Having a constructive discussion with a Disney Board Moderator could produce real change. About all that you accomplish here is educating a few of the open minded brand monkeys ( is "brand monkeys" still allowed here ? ) and whizzing off those that want to just Bicker.

Hold it right there you're not running off our AV so that he can post on Disney's own mindwash machine. We like him right here. What makes you think that any mod over at a Disney board will even have an ear to speak to? Disney hears all the complaints they want to everyday at its parks, movie screenings and through TV ratings...and one thing is clear they don't want to hear how to run the company from us...they just want us to wait in line for what ever rides they feel like opening that day and for you to buy X amount of food and t-shirts so they meet profit goals..and just shut up about it.

..... they don't want to hear how to run the company from us...they just want us to wait in line for what ever rides they feel like opening that day and for you to buy X amount of food and t-shirts so they meet profit goals..and just shut up about it.

So....when was your last trip and when is your next ?

So....when was your last trip and when is your next ?

...last trip would have been about a year and a half ago(but I spent most of it at USO/IOA)...next trip..ummm nothing planned right now...I'm having some health issues right now might not be able to go back until I get a couple of transplants...I'm hoping to at least get back to USO/IOA for Harry Potter in 2010...I'll make the call on Disney then.

While I don't buy into all your conspiracy theories, I do believe you are a passoinate old school Disney fan with a great deal of info that Disney needs to hear/read. I would think that a Disney run website would be a great outlet for your beliefs. Having a constructive discussion with a Disney Board Moderator could produce real change. About all that you accomplish here is educating a few of the open minded brand monkeys ( is "brand monkeys" still allowed here ? ) and whizzing off those that want to just Bicker.

Disney already reads this site, and others, so they are already aware of what is being said.

When you look at how Disney has run things like Virtual Magic Kingdom, it's very difficult to believe there will be any kind of real debate about Disney policies and corporate leadership/direction allowed on an official Disney board.

Do you really believe otherwise?

As for what is accomplished here and on other boards, if a few open-minded individuals gain some valuable information in between all of the "bickering", I don't think that's a futile effort at all.

I was not trying to deminish the efforts made by AV and others to educate the masses - although after re-reading my post I can see how you may have interpreted it that way. Poor choice of words.

I guess it all depends on what type of site Disney operates. I believe if they truely want to compete with sites like the Dis they are going to have to allow all posters to express their opinions. If they do and actively chose to participate in those discussions/debates I believe the site could effect change to a greater degree than unofficial fan sites.

Or maybe his IP address gets blocked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter