Comparison of Weather For WDW and DLR

I don't claim to know whole lot about WDW and therefore do not have much in the way of tips for WDW. About DLR, well, I have been going there for over 40 years. And I read a lot.

:rolleyes1 Yeah....& Tiger Woods plays a little golf. :rotfl:

Unlike most of us....who offer alot of opinions (although most are good)...., HydroGuy's posts / threads are are probably 90% facts & 10% opinion. He IS the DLR Guru.

:rolleyes1 Yeah....& Tiger Woods plays a little golf. :rotfl:

Unlike most of us....who offer alot of opinions (although most are good)...., HydroGuy's posts / threads are are probably 90% facts & 10% opinion. He IS the DLR Guru.
Some of the people over on MiceChat and MousePlanet know a lot more about DLR than I do. Heck, they go there every week and spend way more time than I do on the forums arguing about, well, everything.

IMO my specialty is understanding trends, absorbing facts and combining my experience with other information out there into a cohesive explanation that provides sound guidance to others. I pay attention to details and that helps. Plus I really love DL and in general what Disney is able to do in their parks. :)

Thank you for the comparison info. My wife and I will be in DL 6/1-5 and then onto WDW 6/5-14.

Mrs. Bee, look at his signature line. ;)

DLR 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 (BWPPI), 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 (Day Trip), 08/2005 (BWPPI), 07/2003 (HoJo's), 07/2000 (PPH), 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 07/1989 (First DL Trip With Hot Girlfriend - Now Hot Wife) and 06/1981 (Grad Night)

I don't know what BWPPI or PPH stand for.

"Numerous" day trips in 68-98 could mean a few times a year, a few times a month, or a few times a week. I was curious just what he meant by numerous. And I can clearly see that in recently years he's only gone once a year.

Interesting.

DLR 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 (BWPPI), 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 (Day Trip), 08/2005 (BWPPI), 07/2003 (HoJo's), 07/2000 (PPH), 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 07/1989 (First DL Trip With Hot Girlfriend - Now Hot Wife) and 06/1981 (Grad Night)

"Numerous" day trips in 68-98 could mean a few times a year, a few times a month, or a few times a week. I was curious just what he meant by numerous. And I can clearly see that in recently years he's only gone once a year.

Interesting.

BWPPI = Best Western Park Place Inn
PPH = Paradise Pier Hotel (a Disney Resort property)

You may be interested in reading another one of Trey's stickies entitled "DLR Abbreviations List". :thumbsup2

See "DLR Abbreviations List" - www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1520784

BWPPI - Best Western Park Place Inn
PPH - Paradise Pier Hotel

Interesting.
Before 2000 I went to DL once a year on average.

most of the abbreviations i can figure out (and i feel a lot of them just aren't necessary.) but i've never stayed at the best western. and paradise pier is the most forgettable disney resort for me. haha. i always think disneyland has two onsite hotels but my husband has to remind me that there is a third one.

Thanks for making all those charts. I'd love them to be part of your compilation of tips. The charts give me a better understanding of what time of year is best for me to go to WDW.

Thanks again for all your hard work.:thumbsup2

I have to say I go to DLR far more frequently then many of the resident "experts" but because of the way I visit I honestly can not offer much on many aspects of DLR. I don't eat much CS, there are places in all my years of going to DLR I have never eaten at Hungry Bear, never had Ice Cream at Gibson Girl, and can't remember ever riding Casey's Train. I have only stayed at local hotels for other events, and never at any of the DLR ones, but hope to soon. I don't have kids and have never done more then a day trip to the parks.

For all the reasons above I do not feel I am up to giving some advice since I don't pay attention to the "details" or outside experience that other's may have questions on who have never visited or who are staying for multiple days.

I think that to be an expert you need a different sense of the park and history, my over 200ish (that is using a very rough estimate since I always went at least twice a year as a child, and have had a AP for going on 8 years, with at least 20 trips a year) has still not made me an expert. Do I know a thing or two I would like to say so, but still no expert.

BTW I think its funny how we get all giddy in So Cal about snow when if you drive to the mountians there is great snow to be had haha!

Okay, I'm the "cork in the screw" here.

I just returned from the most miserable trip "weather wise" To San Diego, drizzly, cold cold, at Sea World. {Sweat Shirts and layering were not cutting it!! I had to buy a coat at sea world, it was water resistant and warm. And my best friend the entire trip!!}

DL Was near freezing temp 34, and raining sideways, 5ft into the store by the fire station. Believe me when I say that Ponchos were no help, my face, hair and ears were full of rain, my knees were soaked down to my shoes. I gave up and went back to the hotel Sunday Jan. 27, 2008 I was so cold I had to turn the heat on high and let it blast away.

Our Dates were Jan. 24, at Sea World, DL Jan 25, thru 31st. Friday was very cold but not raining, Saturday it started raining in the night. It would look nice at 8:00 am from the room but by 10am it was raining, big BLACk clouds would sit over DL.

Of course, on the 31 our last day, it stopped raining but we were only in the park for 3 hours before needing to get to the airport, but it was still cold.

Okay, I'm the "cork in the screw" here.

I just returned from the most miserable trip "weather wise" To San Diego, drizzly, cold cold, at Sea World. {Sweat Shirts and layering were not cutting it!! I had to buy a coat at sea world, it was water resistant and warm. And my best friend the entire trip!!}

DL Was near freezing temp 34, and raining sideways, 5ft into the store by the fire station. Believe me when I say that Ponchos were no help, my face, hair and ears were full of rain, my knees were soaked down to my shoes. I gave up and went back to the hotel Sunday Jan. 27, 2008 I was so cold I had to turn the heat on high and let it blast away.

Our Dates were Jan. 24, at Sea World, DL Jan 25, thru 31st. Friday was very cold but not raining, Saturday it started raining in the night. It would look nice at 8:00 am from the room but by 10am it was raining, big BLACk clouds would sit over DL.

Of course, on the 31 our last day, it stopped raining but we were only in the park for 3 hours before needing to get to the airport, but it was still cold.

34 degrees at Disneyland? are you sure about that? the record low for anaheim is 36 degrees. I checked those dates and the lows ranged from 42 to 53. And typically it hits those low temps in the middle of the night. It may have felt to you like it was freezing but I have a hard time believing it was.

And yeah...those ponchos are useless in anything heavier than a light drizzle. It poured last November while we were there. I think my wet shoes/socks were the worst. I now have some better raingear for future trips. Were the parks at least a little less crowded because of the rain? That's one of the upsides of the lousy weather. but yeah, I now have some awesome rainboots. And a "rain suit"...pants and jacket to wear over my clothes. So far I've only used the jacket and boots (at Disneyworld) but they were fabulous.

The News was touting it as the coldest January ever with more rain than they got all of last year!! The grapevine was closed for 2 and 1/2 days due to flooding and the fear of mud slides.

If you are looking at historical temps it won't show Jan '80. If you are looking at acuals I would like the link.

This is what was happening http://video.knbc.com/player/?id=209261

http://video.knbc.com/player/?id=209262

Andhttp://video.knbc.com/player/?id=209260

This is the last time I go to Disney on someone else's time table!!!

Yeah, I believe the 34 because it was freezing cold those days!! We've had some cold spells for the past few weeks. And, although the rain is gone, it was 37 on my way to work this morning! ::yes::

34 degrees at Disneyland? are you sure about that? the record low for anaheim is 36 degrees. I checked those dates and the lows ranged from 42 to 53. And typically it hits those low temps in the middle of the night. It may have felt to you like it was freezing but I have a hard time believing it was.

Mrs. Bee, just out of curiosity, what do YOU do for a living? I think you'd make a great attorney - you like to argue, and you're great at interrogating! ;)

The News was touting it as the coldest January ever with more rain than they got all of last year!! The grapevine was closed for 2 and 1/2 days due to flooding and the fear of mud slides.

If you are looking at historical temps it won't show Jan '80. If you are looking at acuals I would like the link.

This is what was happening http://video.knbc.com/player/?id=209261

http://video.knbc.com/player/?id=209262

Andhttp://video.knbc.com/player/?id=209260

This is the last time I go to Disney on someone else's time table!!!

I'm just looking at weather.com (i don't live in socal anymore. WOOHOO!)

It shows the observed temps for the entire month.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/driving/interstate/monthly/USCA0027?month=-1

(hope that link works...if not, just go to weather.com. search anaheim. click 'month')

Oh...and here's what accuweather has to say...

http://www.accuweather.com/forecast...zipChg=1&zipcode=92801&metric=0&mnYr=1/1/2008

and wunderground.com (for fullerton, they don't have for anaheim, apparently)

http://www.wunderground.com/history...Anaheim&req_state=CA&req_statename=California

Mrs. Bee, just out of curiosity, what do YOU do for a living? I think you'd make a great attorney - you like to argue, and you're great at interrogating! ;)

Wouldn't YOU like to know. It's top secret. :rotfl:

I just love a good debate. I have a hard time believing that it was freezing. I don't doubt the heavy rains and whatnot. And I don't doubt that the weather was cold and miserable. But I guess I just trust weather.com too much.

Okay...so I finally got those videos to load (my internet is lame. stupid qwest.)

The first one I watched was about tornadoes. What does that have to do with freezing temps?

The second one shows snowy roads. (Can't believe they closed the roads for that! HA!) Was the section of I-5 that was closed anywhere near Disneyland? I couldn't watch the whole thing, it kept stopping so I gave up.

And the last one was about tornadoes again.

I didn't really hear any mention of cold temps anywhere near Disneyland.

Were you there at 4am? That's typically when those temps are reached. By 9am things tend to warm up a little. I'll admit that 50 degrees feels pretty darned cold even when you're coming from negative temperatures but I'd like to set everybody at ease. It will never and has never reached 34 degrees during anybody's visit to Disneyland. Never

I also took a look at those videos and I'm a little confused. Granted channel 4 is a Chuck Henry away from being a joke. What do they have to do with Disneyland's weather? Long Beach and Point Mugu are not even in the vacinity of Anaheim. In fact they're Long Beach and Point Mugu are over an hour away from each other. Tejon is close to 4000 feet so it's no mystery why they have snow. Really, I don't see anything too out of the ordinary for the places they're mentioning.

Long Beach can be a little rougher weather wise because they're on the coast. I have a friend who lives on a boat in San Pedro. Water spouts are rough and can rip up a sail but you'll notice they didn't bother closing Disneyland because you're plenty far away from there.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/vacationplanner/monthly/USCA0027?month=-1

Here is the weather history for Anaheim last month. Those tempuratures don't really do much dipping until about midnight and even then you're still a few hours from those observed lows.

"Feels like" and "is" are two very different things. We need to be sure we're giving the people that come here as detailed a diagram as possible of what to expect rather than just painting them a picture. Experiences are all different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter