• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Comparison of resorts - why the point differences?

lbwilliams

Earning My Ears
Hi,

I've been interested in DVC for about 10 years since 2000 (but never purchased) and I had a few concerns that I was hoping I could be enlightened on.

(1) Why is there such a drastic difference in points required for units in WVL and BCV versus the other two combined villas: AKV and BWV?

From a hotel standard, Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom are grouped together in the same category and the Boardwalk Resort and Beach Club are grouped together. If anyone has any insight, I'd greatly appreciate it.

(2) I've also noticed that points per night has slowly increased over the years. My understanding is the value of a timeshare interest is buying in at today's prices (though I could be wrong about that). So, if someone where to buy 170 points today, with the intent of staying in a standard 2BD at Bay Lake Tower for five days. In 2011, that same stay would require 185 points. To me, that is really just "raising the prices" same as everyone else, and provides little incentive to buy into DVC.

Any feedback on either of these two questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much! ~ Lesley

Hi,

I've been interested in DVC for about 10 years since 2000 (but never purchased) and I had a few concerns that I was hoping I could be enlightened on.

(1) Why is there such a drastic difference in points required for units in WVL and BCV versus the other two combined villas: AKV and BWV?

From a hotel standard, Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom are grouped together in the same category and the Boardwalk Resort and Beach Club are grouped together. If anyone has any insight, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Point differences are mostly generated by when the resort was built and a perception of which units will be most popular etc. For example: at BWV, you can get a standard view room that does not look over the boardwalk for fewer points than a boardwalk or preferred view room. Add to that the fact that there are very few units at VWL and BCV, and you will see why there would be more points to stay there.

(2) I've also noticed that points per night has slowly increased over the years. My understanding is the value of a timeshare interest is buying in at today's prices (though I could be wrong about that). So, if someone where to buy 170 points today, with the intent of staying in a standard 2BD at Bay Lake Tower for five days. In 2011, that same stay would require 185 points. To me, that is really just "raising the prices" same as everyone else, and provides little incentive to buy into DVC.
Total points at a resort can not change, but they can reallocate the points within the catagories. For example: If folks are mostly booking weekdays and ignoring weekends to save points, they have done realocations so that weekend points aren't as high, thus encouraging people to stay for a full week instead of 5 nights. We purchased DVC 13 years ago, and while our point schedules have changed around a bit, we can still stay for the same number of points easily. It might mean we have to change our time of year a bit or even the specific days of the week, but right now a week at our preferred time in January has actually decreased from what it was when we first purchased.

Any feedback on either of these two questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much! ~ Lesley

I answered in the body of your quote for my ease.

Points total for the resort do not change. Point shifts can occur. What you have seen as being an "increase" in points per night in last two years has actually been Disney's carrying out a plan to raise weekday nights while lowering weekend nights, thus weekday nights went up while weekend nights came down significantly. Thus, you do face the risk that points for the particular days you like to go yearly may go up while other days decrease.

BCV and VWL points are not much higher than BWV. What you are comparing is BWV standard to those. BWV preferred (about 80% of all rooms) is actually the same or close to the same as VWL and BCV throughout the year.

Age of resort has an effect on points needed per night. Much of the evaluation that goes into determining point costs per night and total sold is the cost of land and building the resort which costs of course continuously go up from year to year. VWL opened in the early 2000's, AKV opened in 2008. Also AKV has so many categories -- value, standard, savanna, concierge--that it is difficult to make a comparison (value and standard at AKV are less than VWL which has only one category but its room views would mainly be considereed a woods, garden or standard view elsewhere and AKV savanna view offers the premium of seeing animals)

Thank you so much for the answers! I didn't realize that points were just "reallocated" and that available units and views were taken into account.

Dues are much lower at BLT but the points per night required is higher than at BWV or BCV. Another thing to consider.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter