Comparison of jerky rides?

rabidstoat

Mouseketeer
I rode Star Tours years ago and got minorly motion sick, about the threshold of 'I had more fun than I felt sick'. Anything rougher than that, I probably won't.

How does the old Star Tours compare to the new one in that sense? Or what about the various Mission Space colors? And is DINOSAUR at AK another jerky ride? Or motion simulator?

Dinosaur and Space Mountain are both, IMO, the 'jerkiest' rides at WDW (and I love them both!) If you found Star Tours 'jerky', you'd probably find Dinosaur and Space Mountain to be very much so. Dinosaur is not a motion simulator though...the motion is real. LOL. It is more like a rollercoaster on a track, although it operates on sharp turns and small dips, no huge drops or enormous speeds like a typical coaster.

I think the old and new ST have similar amounts of jerkiness.

The Mission Space ride is not at all jerky. The green version is a very mild, pleasant, low-key ride. The orange version uses centrifugal force to create the impression of G-forces. I found it to be tremendously overwhelming, and although I'm glad I tried it once for the sake of trying, I would not do it again. Apparently, I'm not cut out to be an astronaut :laughing:

I rode Star Tours years ago and got minorly motion sick, about the threshold of 'I had more fun than I felt sick'. Anything rougher than that, I probably won't.

How does the old Star Tours compare to the new one in that sense? Or what about the various Mission Space colors? And is DINOSAUR at AK another jerky ride? Or motion simulator?

Dinosaur at AK is quite jerky, but it is a moving ride, not a sim.

I don't find any version of Mission Space to be jerky. To the contrary, I find it to be one of the smoothest rides at WDW. I think the problem some people have with it is the fact that it is a very smooth ride, yet you are spinning. That can cause inner ear problems in some people (not me though - I love it).

To me, Star Tours is always going to be jerky, because sims kind of rely on jerking people around for thrills.

Mission: Space (green, I've never ridden orange) isn't jerky. Dinosaur and Space Mountain are jerky, but I have never had an issue with either of them.

Star Tours is a different story; it was definitely the worst out of all of them for me. I literally got sick after I rode the old version of ST. Just rode the new one in June, and by sitting in the back row and closing my eyes when I needed to (which was once, I think), I was fine.

I get motion sick on all the rides mentioned. I still ride them though less often than I use to. It really well depend on you as everyone seems to be different.
Many people had said that they got sick on the old Star Tours but did well on the new one. I got about the same amount of motion sickness on both and probably will not ride it again. I did the less intense version of Mission Space twice. Got sick both times. It was fun and I would love to try the other side but probably never will. Dinosaur is more jerky but I get less sick on it that the simulator rides.

I agree with the others for the most part. A couple of things to add.

The new Star Tours isn't the same every time. Our first trip was very mild, pretty boring actually. The second ride we got different segments and more motion. The third time was also a bit more than the first. Overall, though, I don't think it jerks as much as the original version.

Dinosaur is a rough ride. No mistakes about that.

As for Space Mountain, one thing you hardly ever hear discussed is that there are two tracks and they are not the same. They are, in fact, quite different. Please look this up to confirm because I can never keep it straight but I believe the track to the right is the jerkier one and the track to the left is the smoother one. It might not be enough of a difference to matter to you but it is good to know.

Star Tours (the old version at least) made me feel very ill.

Dinosaur is jerkier, but I've never felt ill from it. Never been on Mission: Space so I can't help you there...I'm a chicken in the "feeling sick to my stomach" department.

Dinosaur is not a motion simulator though...the motion is real.

Actually, Dinosaur does use motion simulator technology in each of the ride vehicles and that's what causes most of the bumps and jerks on the ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter