Comparing Galapagos Islands Trips

nemofans

DIS Veteran
We would like to go to the Galapagos Islands next summer. I am looking at multiple tour group vacations and trying to decide which would fit best for us. We are a family of 4 (kids 12 & 8 at time of trip). We would like most of the trip spent in Galapagos with a couple days in Ecuador.

I am looking at ABD, Tauck Bridges, Abercrombie&Kent, & Thomson Family. A&K is pricey & not sure if it's worth the higher cost. Lower chance of canceling and smaller group size are preferred.

I would love advice from those that have been to Galapagos and have experience/knowledge with these group choices.
Thanks!

I have looked at Nat Geo too, but 90 people seems way too much.

I took the Lindblad/Nat Geo trip. It was beyond fantastic. There are 6 naturalists and an expedition director on the ship, along with the staff and crew. You are always divided into small groups when you leave the ship. The service was impeccable. It was the best trip I've ever taken, which includes 2 Tauck and 5 ABD tours. The ship that ABD uses accommodates 90 guests, the only difference is some of the guests are not part of the ABD tour.

BTW...Nat Geo has two ships in the Galapagos. The Endeavour (96 max), and the Islander (48 max). I think the smaller ship is a little more expensive. They often have specials with free airfare from certain gateway cities. And there is a discount for anyone under 18.

Last edited:
Take a look at CNH tours on the Samba. We just got back and it was amazing. It isn't luxury, but the guide and food were amazing. It only has 14 guests on board. It is much cheaper than Nat Geo but the guide was very sensitive to photographers' and nature lovers' needs, with early and late landings. They were also great with my DD8.

I know this is a slightly old thread, and you didn't mention Celebrity, but we just got back from the Galapagos on the Celebrity Xpedition. We traveled with our two children, ages 5 and 11, and my 70 year old mother. We did the Outer Loop Itinerary (most lines do an Inner Loop or Outer Loop route, due to restrictions on how often they can go to a given spot.) We loved the one Adventures by Disney trip we have done (Costa Rica), and would gladly have gone with them to the Galapagos, but our 5 year old does not meet their minimum age requirements. We LOVED the Galapagos on Celebrity.

We chose Celebrity over Lindblad/Nat Geo because they begin and end in Quito instead of Guayaquil. We MUCH preferred starting and ending in Quito for two reasons. The first, and most important, reason was that we could get from Houston to Quito with a direct flight. The second reason is that Quito is a beautiful and interesting city with a lot of history, and with Celebrity we were able to spend a day in Quito seeing the sights, and a day in Mindo in the cloud forest.

The Xpedition takes 96 guests and has a staff of 60something. Celebrity has bought two smaller vessels for the Galapagos as well, but I don't know when they will enter service under the Celebrity name. We did not find the 96 guests to be too much, since you always broke into smaller groups to go to the islands. They had 7 guides on board, which is how we ended up in a private group for just our family multiple times.

To our surprise, there were a lot of children and teens on our trip. My daughter was the youngest, at 5, but there was a second 5 year old who turned 6 on the trip. Almost a quarter of the guests were kids or teens, to the absolute disgust of a few of the adult guests. (There was a large group having a multigenerational family reunion that included a lot of kids.) A few of the adults were very unhappy and very rude about the kids on board, and one of the groups was so vocally ugly about it that we were offered a private guide for the stop a couple of times so we wouldn't have to be with them. (It was sort of amusing that one woman was moaning and complaining loudly about all the children, and the amazing cruise director came over and asked me if we would prefer a private guide for the excursion so we wouldn't have to deal with her. We said yes.)

As others have said about Lindblad, we found the service on the Xpedition to be absolutely top notch. The food was surprisingly good most of the time, although we quickly discovered that you usually got the best meals if you ordered the local Ecuadorian specialty of the night. All alcohol was included, and we thought the cocktail of the night was almost always amazing. One moment of stellar service sticks out. My husband went to the wine and cheese tasting without me, since I was in the room with our napping daughter. My husband mentioned why I wasn't present when chatting, and the maitre de grabbed a bottle of wine, two glasses, and a cheese plate and brought it to me in the room. Really amazing service, the entire time, with a mostly Ecuadorian crew that couldn't have been nicer or more helpful.

The Galapagos is an amazing destination. We were generally offered two hikes on two islands a day, plus a snorkel, either from a beach or deep water, just jumping off a zodiac. Each stop had a long and short hike option, which was also good for not having everyone trying to leave the Xpedition at once. We usually had a group leave at 8am for the long hike, and a group leave at 8:30 for the short hike. You are always back on the ship and on your way to the next location by noon. We usually do the second stop of the day at 3 or 4, and the times off the boat were again staggered by half an hour. There was usually a snorkel option between the morning and afternoon hikes. A few places you couldn't actually go onto the island, so you just took a zodiac ride along the coast. It was a very busy and very active trip. I cannot say enough amazing things about the destination, and I'm sure you will love it, no matter which group you choose to go with.

I know this is a slightly old thread, and you didn't mention Celebrity, but we just got back from the Galapagos on the Celebrity Xpedition. We traveled with our two children, ages 5 and 11, and my 70 year old mother. We did the Outer Loop Itinerary (most lines do an Inner Loop or Outer Loop route, due to restrictions on how often they can go to a given spot.) We loved the one Adventures by Disney trip we have done (Costa Rica), and would gladly have gone with them to the Galapagos, but our 5 year old does not meet their minimum age requirements. We LOVED the Galapagos on Celebrity.

We chose Celebrity over Lindblad/Nat Geo because they begin and end in Quito instead of Guayaquil. We MUCH preferred starting and ending in Quito for two reasons. The first, and most important, reason was that we could get from Houston to Quito with a direct flight. The second reason is that Quito is a beautiful and interesting city with a lot of history, and with Celebrity we were able to spend a day in Quito seeing the sights, and a day in Mindo in the cloud forest.

The Xpedition takes 96 guests and has a staff of 60something. Celebrity has bought two smaller vessels for the Galapagos as well, but I don't know when they will enter service under the Celebrity name. We did not find the 96 guests to be too much, since you always broke into smaller groups to go to the islands. They had 7 guides on board, which is how we ended up in a private group for just our family multiple times.

To our surprise, there were a lot of children and teens on our trip. My daughter was the youngest, at 5, but there was a second 5 year old who turned 6 on the trip. Almost a quarter of the guests were kids or teens, to the absolute disgust of a few of the adult guests. (There was a large group having a multigenerational family reunion that included a lot of kids.) A few of the adults were very unhappy and very rude about the kids on board, and one of the groups was so vocally ugly about it that we were offered a private guide for the stop a couple of times so we wouldn't have to be with them. (It was sort of amusing that one woman was moaning and complaining loudly about all the children, and the amazing cruise director came over and asked me if we would prefer a private guide for the excursion so we wouldn't have to deal with her. We said yes.)

As others have said about Lindblad, we found the service on the Xpedition to be absolutely top notch. The food was surprisingly good most of the time, although we quickly discovered that you usually got the best meals if you ordered the local Ecuadorian specialty of the night. All alcohol was included, and we thought the cocktail of the night was almost always amazing. One moment of stellar service sticks out. My husband went to the wine and cheese tasting without me, since I was in the room with our napping daughter. My husband mentioned why I wasn't present when chatting, and the maitre de grabbed a bottle of wine, two glasses, and a cheese plate and brought it to me in the room. Really amazing service, the entire time, with a mostly Ecuadorian crew that couldn't have been nicer or more helpful.

The Galapagos is an amazing destination. We were generally offered two hikes on two islands a day, plus a snorkel, either from a beach or deep water, just jumping off a zodiac. Each stop had a long and short hike option, which was also good for not having everyone trying to leave the Xpedition at once. We usually had a group leave at 8am for the long hike, and a group leave at 8:30 for the short hike. You are always back on the ship and on your way to the next location by noon. We usually do the second stop of the day at 3 or 4, and the times off the boat were again staggered by half an hour. There was usually a snorkel option between the morning and afternoon hikes. A few places you couldn't actually go onto the island, so you just took a zodiac ride along the coast. It was a very busy and very active trip. I cannot say enough amazing things about the destination, and I'm sure you will love it, no matter which group you choose to go with.

Was there a reason you went with the outer loop versus the inner if you don't mind my asking..? I am having a hard time knowing which of the two would be preferable.

Was there a reason you went with the outer loop versus the inner if you don't mind my asking..? I am having a hard time knowing which of the two would be preferable.

We went with the Outer Loop because we really wanted to see the mating/nesting albatrosses. The albatrosses are only on Espanola, which is part of the Outer Loop route.

Are there any other differences between inner and outer loops?

Well, you go to almost entirely different "ports", and in many cases, completely different islands. Outer loop sees albatrosses, Inner Loop sees red-footed boobies. I have _heard_ that the terrain is a little more interesting on the inner loop and you see more animals on outer loop, but I have only done outer. In theory, you have a chance of seeing most of the animals on either route. Some of the animals, like the flamingos and penguins, you have to be a little lucky to see. Some of the animals, like the sea lions and the marine iguanas, you will see all over the place.

We saw (on outer loop) - off the top of my head
Sea lions
fur seals
shark (not sure what type)
sunfish
albatrosses
penguins
marine iguanas
land iguanas
giant tortoises
frigate birds
blue footed boobies
nazca boobies
tropic birds
many species of finches
sea turtles
spotted eagle rays
lots of other fish (I did all the snorkels)
greater flamingos
ducks
lots of other birds
snake

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter