compare discount AP option

twooley2

DIS Veteran
O.K. so I have been pondering. I hate not having the dining plan just because of the security of knowing everything is paid for and was looking at the AP discount. We already have a house rented and tickets bought. My questio ncomes from the idea of using an AP doscount for 2 rooms at a value just to getthe dining plan. Would we come out ahead and is it big enough of a discount to warrent booking a package just for the dining plan. the dining prices are outrageous when I look at paying OOP for every meal but we like to eat what can I say.for 2 rooms with the dining plan and the AP discount we have $3500 minus the 114.00 for the week parking for 5 people. Can we eat that much in 8 days? thats thinking 1 sit down each day and a counter meal each day? 5 adults..?? Opinions ?? oh and we get two annual passes as a result of using this discount which are included in the 3500 price.

If you're going to get annual passes anyway, you might want to consider getting a Tables In Wonderland card. That's a dining discount card available for about $75 to annual passholders (and non passholder florida residents for about $100). The card will get you a 20% discount for up to 10 people at most of the table service restaraunts in Disney (for both food and drink). You won't have everything prepaid, but it might still be a good way for you to save money.

Additionally, the annual pass will help save money on parking, assuming you plan to drive to the parks every day. Parking is $14 per day, but it's free for annual passholders.

Otherwise, you might just want to spend a lot of time here... http://allears.net/menu/menus.htm That lists the menus and prices for most of the counter service and table service restaraunts. If you can figure out about how many times you'll be eating at a counter service or table service restaraunt, and then try to get a sample of the prices of some of the restaraunts you might be interested in you might be able to get a good idea of whether you'd be able to eat $3500 worth of food... or if you'd do better with the tables in wonderland card and it's 20% discount (but remember that's only for table service and not counter service).

HTH,
Brett

I had one more thought as I was looking at this... doing the math you're spending $3500 for 5 adults for 8 days. Assuming you'll be getting all your meals on 8 days you'll wind up at about $87 per day per person.

I usually estimate a counter service meal with a drink, but no dessert to be about $12-15 per person and a table service with a soft drink, but no appitizer or dessert to be around $30-40 per person. That rough estimate puts you at $42 to $55 per person or well under the $87 you'd spend on the dining plan.

However, if you add appitizers, desserts, or alcohol... or just eat at more expensive restaraunts that could definitely bring the price up. Still, though, I suspect you'd be better off just paying out of pocket and/or getting the tables in wonderland card.

Thanks I had to see someone elses view on this. This has helped. I think I will pay OOP for the first time. This just gives me more to keep up with such as gift cards and Credit cards and such. I may do the tables in wonderland I keep thinking when I get to guest services I will just make the right decison :) LOL Anyone know how long it ttakes to pay for parking each day or if you can buy a week pass or something?

Anyone know how long it ttakes to pay for parking each day or if you can buy a week pass or something?

Unfortunately there is no multiday parking pass, but paying for parking is pretty quick. Everyone goes through a toll booth type thing on the way into the parking lot and you just pay the attendant there. You can pay with cash or a credit card.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter