• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

company to transport my scooter???

gmomof15

old timer with new name
We are taking the train to WDW and for Amtrak to transport my scooter I have to deliver it to them (both in Philly and in Orlando) packaged on a pallet since a fork lift would have to lift it and I can't do this.:eek::eek:

Has anyone ever had a scooter or EVC transported for them by another company? :confused3:confused3

I know I can rent one down there but I really like my own.

Is it too big to take on the train they can fit a big scooter on the trains. Below is from the website

Wheelchair Restrictions

Amtrak trains accommodate most wheelchairs in use today, provided they meet the ADA definition of a "common" wheelchair. Please note:

Dimensions: The chair should not exceed 30 inches (76 centimeters) wide, 48 inches (122 centimeters) long and 2 inches (5 centimeters) of ground clearance.
Weight: The weight limit for an occupied wheelchair is 600 pounds (273 kilograms).
Manual and battery powered: We permit both manually operated and battery powered wheelchairs that meet the above limits.

Amtrak says I can't put it on the train because it doesn't fold like a wheel chair does. It is very small 23"w and 34"l but it doesn't fold. There are 3 steep steps at the Phila. stop and then in Orlando you have those 3 steps plus they have to put a step stool on the ground in addition. I can see where it would be hard to load. Even if we took it apart it would be very difficult to load it up and down those steps. I was surprised they couldn't load it onto the baggage car except with a pallet.

We are taking the train to WDW and for Amtrak to transport my scooter I have to deliver it to them (both in Philly and in Orlando) packaged on a pallet since a fork lift would have to lift it and I can't do this.:eek::eek:

Has anyone ever had a scooter or EVC transported for them by another company? :confused3:confused3

I know I can rent one down there but I really like my own.

My gut feeling is that it will be more expensive to transport your scooter to Orlando than renting one for the time you're here. Check out the prices of various scooter rental companies here and see what you think. It's also a lot less hassle.

If you do decide to bring your own scooter here my next question is does it break down or fold? If so then any cab can carry it in the trunk. What brand / model do you have? Check with the manufacturers website for more detailed information about how to transport the scooter.

Sounds fishy to me.

You know if you were confined to that chair they would have to accomodate it. I send Jack to NYC about once a year on his power wheelchair on Amtrak from Philadelphia to NYC and they deal. (He goes all on his lonesome...even with his speech deficits) All I do is set up the tickets, tell them he needs a handicapped space.

Perhaps you don't want to ride all the way from Phila to FL in the chair, but if you did it wouldn't cost any extra in our experience.

They have lifts that can put you (while sitting in the chair) up to the train level. Jack can't even stand on his own, let along climb the steps.

silvergoldberry, thanks I'll have to call them back. The person I initially spoke seemed very disinterested maybe they were incorrect.
We have reserved the deluxe sleeper so maybe that's the problem. I don't think it would fit in that room. Well it would but then we couldn't move around.

You know the procedure if the next rep is equally disinterested, right? Ask for a supervisor. Go up to manager and above if necessary. If Amtrak has a separate Customer Care department, go there.

I tried to make a post earlier, but lost it somehow.

Anyway, here are some Amtrak pages for you.

Amtrak Travel with Disabilities Reservation Resources
In case the link doesn't work, here's what it says:
Presently, we do not offer the ability to reserve accessible space on Amtrak.com. Instead, please make reservations for accessible accommodations through any of the following means:
  • By telephone: Please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245). Agents are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
  • By TDD/TTY: Please call 1-800-523-6590. Agents are available from 5 am to 1 am EST, seven days a week.
  • At an Amtrak ticket counter: Ticket agents at staffed stations can sell tickets during regular ticket office hours. Please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) for details.

When Reservations Are Required

To ensure that you get the space and accommodations you require, you must make a reservation for any of the following:

• Wheelchair space
  • Transfer seats (for when you travel in a seat and stow your wheelchair)
  • Accessible sleeper accommodations
We require that you make reservations for such accommodations on all trains, including on "unreserved trains" (on which reservations for ordinary seats are not required).

Accessible space is limited. Please make your reservation as far in advance of travel as possible.

Who May Reserve Accessible Accommodations

Up until 14 days prior to the departure of each train from its origin city, reservations for accessible bedrooms may be made only for passengers who are mobility impaired.

After this period, and if all other Deluxe and Family bedrooms have been reserved, accessible bedrooms are made available to all passengers on a first-come, first-served basis. For this reason, we urge you to make your reservations as far in advance of travel as possible.

Here is what how it says to check for accessible stations:
Most Amtrak stations in major cities, and many other staffed stations across the country, are accessible to passengers with disabilities.

How do I know if a particular Amtrak station is accessible?

To ensure that you have the most up-to-date information regarding accessibility of the stations on your itinerary, please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).

I got that information from this page.

And, here's the information from the wheelchair page:
Boarding and Detraining

We can provide assistance to people in wheelchairs in the following situations, if needed:
  • High Platforms: Amtrak will assist you across the gap between the platform and the train by using a bridge plate.
  • Low-Level Platforms: Amtrak will provide a level boarding through the use of station-board lifts.
  • Bi-Level Trains: Amtrak will provide a wheelchair ramp to help you board the lower level of the train.

Remaining in Your Wheelchair or Transferring to a Seat

If you use a common wheelchair, including a battery-operated chair, you may remain in your wheelchair en route. When wheelchair lockdowns are not available, we request that you apply your wheelchair brakes.

Many First Class and Business Class cars also have accessible seating. If you choose to transfer to an accessible seat, you may stow your wheelchair nearby.

Wheelchair Restrictions

Amtrak trains accommodate most wheelchairs in use today, provided they meet the ADA definition of a "common" wheelchair. Please note:
  • Dimensions: The chair should not exceed 30 inches (76 centimeters) wide, 48 inches (122 centimeters) long and 2 inches (5 centimeters) of ground clearance.
  • Weight: The weight limit for an occupied wheelchair is 600 pounds (273 kilograms).
  • Manual and battery powered: We permit both manually operated and battery powered wheelchairs that meet the above limits.
They don't state it, but the "common" wheelchair definition is from the ADA and includes wheelchairs and ECVs.

I suspect the issue may actually be the stateroom. All Amtrak trains have at least 1 accessible stateroom, however, I don't believe they fit the same number of people as other staterooms (I think they're a fullsize stateroom with some of the beds taken out to give space for the mobility equipment). Also, in sleeper cars at least half of the rooms are upstairs on the train so I'm wondering if the stairs they were telling you about were not for getting on and off the train, but for getting up to the stateroom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter