Communicating with Teens

BBBFamily

Earning My Ears
How do you keep in touch with your teenagers while on board and/or at Castaway Cay?

We'll have the obvious together times like meals and a few family activities where we can touch base on what they are doing and their plans, etc. But I'm trying to think of how to get ahold of them if I need to check on them or talk to them inbetween "scheduled feedings." You know - without cramping their style.

Its a delicate balance between freedom and accountability. I'm one of those parents who likes to know what they are doing and to be able to reach them at all times - Helps keep my three boys out of trouble! :eek:

Thanks for your help!

Hi..

We have Motorola Talk abouts.. the boys need to tell me where they are, then call me when they leaving and tell me where are they going, plus call me on the talk about and tell me when they have gotten there. Exception is when they are in the stack and leave to pick up a soda or burger and then return to the stack..

They also have a curfew, once the stack closes they are required back at the room with in 10 minutes .

BTw, I have walked around and checked that they were where they were supposed to. They know I will do it and never know when. If they are in a place that theyhaven't told me about, they lose the privilage of unlimited freedom..

I supposed it depends on how old your teens are, mine were 16 and 17 on our last cruise. We of course have special times to meet up and all, but for the most part, mine were not hard to find.

We had 2 simple rules:
1. NO ONE in our room except us.
and
2. YOU are not to be in anyone elses room.

Break these rules and you get to hang out with your parents.

But like I said my kids either found us saying where were you? :rotfl:

We had no problem keeping in touch with them. :goodvibes

well i can see i'm a lot less strict than i thought....

my son was 15 on our first cruise and 17 on our second...
he only had to be with us for meals and when we got off the ship in Nassau (but not on CC, where he spent all of his time with the teen club except for our banana boat and parasailing times)....
He also met us for the big show each night (in the walt disney theatre), then he went off again to be with the teen club...

and he had to come back to the room as soon as the teen activities ended for the evening...

he's never given us any reason to question his sense of responsibility, either on the ship or off.....

Now when I look bacj I have to laugh because my kids would catch up with us asking us where we had been. :rotfl:

Like I said, i didn't find it difficult to touch base with them. We'd often use the leave a "note in the stateroom" method too. That works well. :thumbsup2

We used the post it on the mirror technique - everyone had to leave a note as to where they were...if they changed location they needed to change the note. Of course I got in big trouble when I didn't put a post it note for the verandah - with the slider closed the kids were upset when they couldn't find me.

The rule (for all three kids - preteens and teen) was if I couldn't find you where the note said you were - you got to hang out with me (no clubs was worse than death for my DSs)....never had a problem
Barb

Love the thread title...I completely misunderstood, thought it was a rant....you realize it's not possible to communicate with teens, especially if they are your kids!!

I can't imagine letting my DH out of my sight, let alone my kid!! I guess it's a bridge this overprotective Mom is going to have to cross at some point.

We always meet up for dinner, lunch most days and sometimes the show --he won't see some of them for the 5th or 6th time. Onboard it was never that hard to find him--made him give us a general idea of plans. Once he made friends we found them on deck or at the Stack.

After the whole Natalie Holloway business I think someone will have to be with him off the boat----he'll hate that since he just turned 17 and is graduating this year.

Just to clarify -- My teenage boys are 13, 15 and 16 -- And my youngest has no problem reporting details on the activities of his big brothers :)

I'm blessed w/very responsible and trustworthy boys. I think the post-it notes along with the simple yet common sense room rules will work best for us. I don't anticipate any problems but do need the checks and balances!

I really appreciate all the comments - it puts things into perspective for me! I will continue to work on my overbearing, overprotective and controlling tendencies before we sail!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter