Commitment ceremony without Disney Weddings

jrpopfan

Mouseketeer
First a little back story... My girlfriend and I have been together for about 9 years. She was my first relationship (we are both in our 40s). We had committed to each other with rings, but never really wore them. About 3 years ago, we started having issues and long story short someone else interrupted our relationship. Now that someone else is gone and we are RE-COMMITTING to each other with rings that fit (and like) and going to do it at Disney World in a week.

I don't know if you can do it or not... but has anyone ever tried to get a character to "marry" you. I can't afford a huge Disney Wedding and it is only me and my girl going. No family or friends and it is only just for us. But, I was thinking about maybe trying to get the Mayor of Main Street or someone like that to do the commitment ceremony for us.

Can that be done? or is it a no-no for characters to do that?

We were planning on buying our rings there... if characters can not engage in our small little ceremony, does anyone have any cool romantic ideas that might revolve around the Haunted Mansion or Tower Of Tower that could make it a little more memorable for us? I wanna kinda surprise her with something cool for our commitment.

I doubt very much that you'd have any success with getting a character to do that. (unfortunately)

No you can't do that. When we were planning our wedding we found out that no characters can be present let alone participate in any way during the ceremony at a wedding. You can pay for them to come to a party. That costs a ridiculous amount of money.

Try talking to a cast member about getting your own elevator for TOT. You can sometimes do this during very slow times. Then you can place rings on each others hand before you "take the plunge".
Or if you wanted HM, again, talk to a cast member for a little private time in the stretching room, exchange rings (there is no way out). Then take the ride to celebrate at a dinner party until "death do you part".
Most importantly, have fun. As I said to my husband, it isn't the ceremony, it's the journey together.
Good luck.

Thanks for the TOT and HM ideas... I will try one of those. I think those ideas sound great.

Disney won't let brides even wear their wedding dresses inside the parks during normal park hours, so I don't think a ceremony of any sort will be allowed.

But, didn't the city of Orlando legalize gay marriage within the city earlier this year? You'd have to take a trip off WDW property, but you might actually be able to get hitched. (And then you could wear buttons, or special Mickey ears, or something else fun & hokey the rest of your stay.)

No, Orlando did not legalize gay marriage. Orange County allows domestic partners, regardless of gender to register with the county. This allows one another to visit in the hospital, and make health care related decisions among a few other limited things. A far cry from marriage.

I cannot imagine Disney allowing a character to perform a commitment ceremony, especially during park hours.

This may be a silly suggestion, but if you did want to go in wedding dresses you could always do it during MNSSHP.

They'd probably think you were just dressed as the bride in the attic in HM.

You never know you might be able to get an 'unofficlal' character to officiate. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter