Commercial planes and Disney airspace

AngiTN

DIS Veteran
Where does Disney stand on aircraft? We were at MK last night and a huge, i assume commercial, plane flew over very low. It was so strange because it is something I normally never hear. Is this something new, always been and I just didn't notice or did someone screw up their flight path

The Invictus games started yesterday and a lot of very high profile people are there for it. It could have very well been Michelle Obama or someone as "important". Prince Harry, George W. and Laura Bush and Morgan Freeman are currently at the Grand Floridian.

Both Disney World and Disneyland have protected airspace up to 3000' above ground level. All aircraft would have to have special clearance to fly below 3000' when over WDW or DLR.

I have seen Church sponsored sky writers near Disney Studios but its possible they're actually just outside WDW's airspace.

The Invictus games started yesterday and a lot of very high profile people are there for it. It could have very well been Michelle Obama or someone as "important". Prince Harry, George W. and Laura Bush and Morgan Freeman are currently at the Grand Floridian.
^^This, most likely the current/former presidentials...

For the invictus games they had 4 jets fly in formation over the opening ceremonies around 8:10pm, then two black hawk helicopters also flew later in the night. Michelle Obama, George W Bush and Mrs Bush were there, along with Prince Harry

Both Disney World and Disneyland have protected airspace up to 3000' above ground level. All aircraft would have to have special clearance to fly below 3000' when over WDW or DLR.

I have seen Church sponsored sky writers near Disney Studios but its possible they're actually just outside WDW's airspace.
They are actually quite a ways outside of WDW's airspace. In fact if you are at Universal you can see it like it is right overhead. Next time look and see how tiny the plane looks as it does the writing. It's a ways off.

The "restriction", from a practical standpoint, just stops sight seeing and loitering aircraft from flying overhead. If an aircraft is in touch with air traffic control, and has proper business in the area (i.e. landing local airport), they will be allowed in the restricted area.

For the invictus games they had 4 jets fly in formation over the opening ceremonies around 8:10pm, then two black hawk helicopters also flew later in the night. Michelle Obama, George W Bush and Mrs Bush were there, along with Prince Harry
That'd be it then, the celebs/VIPs would've been in before the opening :) I meant to watch it but forgot, heard it was supposed to be a good show & sounds like it was!

I thought of the games as the likely reason. This was about 8:00 or so. We were coming out of Splash

I was at The Polynesian and heard the flyover, I assumed it was for the games.

Where does Disney stand on aircraft? We were at MK last night and a huge, i assume commercial, plane flew over very low. It was so strange because it is something I normally never hear. Is this something new, always been and I just didn't notice or did someone screw up their flight path

It was 4 jets flying over espn during the invictus opening ceremony and they didn't go into the no fly zone. They are rather loud though so it would have sounded closer.

It was 4 jets flying over espn during the invictus opening ceremony and they didn't go into the no fly zone. They are rather loud though so it would have sounded closer.
I'm not sure if they were or weren't in the TFR, but it would be fine if they were as long as they had ATC permission.

Just curious, was it an airforce flyover??

From what I've read, the TFR is a radius around the Contemporary and includes MK and Future World (but not World Showcase)

The Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR) at WDW is an area with a 3 mile radius with center at N28 24 45 W81 34 20 Lat/Long. This grid point is near the Contemporary Resort. It includes airspace from the surface up to 3000 ft above the ground. Flights are prohibited in this area. ATC can authorize flights in this area but would not normally do so for commercial or general aviation flights, exception being a special event or an emergency. If a commercial type aircraft flew in this area today it probably would be a VIP aircraft. There are currently 4 additional TFRs in the Orlando area, effective for May 11 & 12. These would be of the same size as the WDW TFR and would restrict airspace associated with a VIP such as the President.

The Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR) at WDW is an area with a 3 mile radius with center at N28 24 45 W81 34 20 Lat/Long. This grid point is near the Contemporary Resort. It includes airspace from the surface up to 3000 ft above the ground. Flights are prohibited in this area. ATC can authorize flights in this area but would not normally do so for commercial or general aviation flights, exception being a special event or an emergency. If a commercial type aircraft flew in this area today it probably would be a VIP aircraft. There are currently 4 additional TFRs in the Orlando area, effective for May 11 & 12. These would be of the same size as the WDW TFR and would restrict airspace associated with a VIP such as the President.
They consistently let you in... As long as you have a legit reason for being there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter