• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Commander in Chief

Beth76

DIS Veteran
Anyone still watching this? I think it's OK. Not great, but I'm still watching it. The whole Templeton trying to destroy Mac at every turn storyline is getting tiresome. But, the "nugget" of info at the very end tonight was very interesting. :earseek:

I agree, the Templeton thing is getting old. I also wish the oldest daughter wasn't so annoying, can the girl really be that naive. The first spouse angle is kinda interesting.

Does it make you more or less likely to vote for a female president?

marybet said:
Does it make you more or less likely to vote for a female president?
Oh it has absolutely no bearing. I would vote for a female if she was the best candidate.

I love this show & haven't missed a single one. I think next weeks is going to be a good one too based on the previews. Can't wait!

I agree that it's same-old, same-old every week, but I watch it anyway. What bothers me immensely is that Templeton is SUCH a baddie. There's really no redeeming quality to him at all. I'm CERTAIN that there are people like that in Congress, but I personally just can't get past the fact that liberal Hollywood had to villainize a Republican in order to make the show seem viable.

Nevertheless, I watch it anyway and actually thought tonight's episode was one of the best so far. That being said, I do hate how everything is always wrapped up in one episode. When you look at a hit show like Lost, you can see that people love an ongoing storyline nowadays. I wish this show would follow Lost in that respect.

I like this show too. So, at the end of the show last night.... Jim is not the leak, but is sleeping with Templeton's assistant? Was that what I saw?

I get easily distracted so wasn't really sure.

And I agree, I want to slap the oldest daughter. The Son is about to get into trouble now too isn't he?

I HATE it! DH insisted we try it, because it's up his alley, and he's still watching it, but I cannot be in the room when it's on. I hate it that much. I tolerate his hours of poker and football and all of his "guy" movies but I had to put my foot down on this one.

I think part of the problem is that I was a big West Wing fan, and this just pales in comparison to the show in its heyday.

Things I HATE:

1.) Geena Davis' refusal to open her mouth when she speaks. It's mushy and mumbly and annoying.
2.) The "precocious" and faux-cute younger daughter.
3.) The completely bratty and unlikeable older daughter
4.) The fact that they insist on using title cards, instead of relying on good storytelling
5.) The absolute hackery of the writing. Same story every week with very little sophistication or ingenuity. I can sum up the full hour's plot after watching the first 30 seconds.
6.) The completely preposterous nature of the premise. I can suspend my disbelief, but this is asking too much!

Anyway, this is why the good Lord gave us TiVo. DH can record it and watch it when I'm out shopping or something. Thanks for the vent! I feel better now!

pearlieq said:
I think part of the problem is that I was a big West Wing fan, and this just pales in comparison to the show in its heyday.
ITA! I am avoiding WW a lot this season because I get enough election shoved in my face by TV as it is without the entertainment making a bad attempt to imitate reality.
Things I HATE:

1.) Geena Davis' refusal to open her mouth when she speaks. It's mushy and mumbly and annoying.
4.) The fact that they insist on using title cards, instead of relying on good storytelling
5.) The absolute hackery of the writing. Same story every week with very little sophistication or ingenuity. I can sum up the full hour's plot after watching the first 30 seconds.
6.) The completely preposterous nature of the premise. I can suspend my disbelief, but this is asking too much!
Again, I agree with each point. If Ms. Davis could learn to open her mouth and possibly express some emotion other than the "great stone face", it would be a welcome relief. I always wonder if she's suffering from lock-jaw.

The children -- all three of them -- are annoying add-ons to the show with very little redeeming value. At least WW had the sense to avoid making the First Children a major feature of each episode.

The writing -- Grr! I feel like I'm watching a real-life version of Dudley Do-right vs. Snidley Whiplash. I cannot believe Donald Sutherland is willing to play the same absurd caricature every week. Surely there is more depth to his character than the scheming Snidley Whiplash wannbe.

pearlieq said:
Things I HATE:

I can agree with points 1, 2 & 3. And the writing isn't nearly as good as The West Wing. But, why is the premise so completely perposterous? That's what's keeping me going with the show. The first woman POTUS. I love that!

So, at the end of the show last night.... Jim is not the leak, but is sleeping with Templeton's assistant? Was that what I saw?
Well, yes, he was sleeping with Templeton's Chief of Staff. I don't know what that means exactly. But, we don't know for sure that he's not the leak. That was just the President's gut feeling. She could be wrong.

crz4mm2 said:
I like this show too. So, at the end of the show last night.... Jim is not the leak, but is sleeping with Templeton's assistant? Was that what I saw?

YES! My wife and I couldn't believe it! How did that happen? Anyways, we still like this show and next week's episode looks pretty good, too!

Beth76 said:
But, why is the premise so completely perposterous? That's what's keeping me going with the show. The first woman POTUS. I love that!

I definitley don't find the idea of a female POTUS preposterous, but I do find the idea of an Independent getting elected, especially on a Republican ticket, and even just as VP, completely unrealistic. It makes for better TV possibilites, I suppose, but it's very, very farfetched in real life.

I've actually enjoyed some of the woman-as-POTUS bits, mostly related toward the First Gentleman (or whatever they're taken to calling him).

pearlieq said:
but I do find the idea of an Independent getting elected, especially on a Republican ticket, and even just as VP, completely unrealistic. It makes for better TV possibilites, I suppose, but it's very, very farfetched in real life.
OK, yeah that's dumb. I don't know why they had to do that. They could have come up with a better reason why the former pres didn't want her to be pres. Even if it was that he didn't believe a woman she be president. That I would buy.

lap3 said:
YES! My wife and I couldn't believe it! How did that happen? Anyways, we still like this show and next week's episode looks pretty good, too!

There have been some subtle references in previous shows about information she was getting. One time while giving Templeton some info, she smiled and mentioned getting one particular tidbit "over dessert". They never made it plain where/who she was getting the info from. It also "sounded" like she was getting the info in a sneaky way - not that he was leaking it to her.

I haven't really watched it because I love "House" which is on at the same time. Maybe when I get a TIVO I'll Tivo this and watch House.

Tigger_Magic said:
The children -- all three of them -- are annoying add-ons to the show with very little redeeming value. At least WW had the sense to avoid making the First Children a major feature of each episode.

But then, the whole concept of her being Bridges' running mate just because she could get the soccer-mom vote would be lost. She needs to be yet another one of us "WonderWomen" who can balance a powerful career along with a husband and children at the same time. (Funny, nobody wants to sit down for a hour a week and watch ME manage to do it...)

I do like the show, even though it's a bit redundant. In the previews when it showed Templeton's assistant in the towel, I thought for sure it was the "First Gentleman" that she was 'spending time' with... boy was I wrong!!!

Everytime I see Templeton, all I can think of is, "Hey... isn't that Jack Bauer's Dad???

pearlieq said:
I definitley don't find the idea of a female POTUS preposterous, but I do find the idea of an Independent getting elected, especially on a Republican ticket, and even just as VP, completely unrealistic. It makes for better TV possibilites, I suppose, but it's very, very farfetched in real life.
I think this was the brain-child of the first producer. It seems it was almost a requirement to justify the intense animosity Sutherland had for Davis. I don't know about Donald, but listening to Davis trying to enunciate through clenched teeth is enough to make me want to impeach her!

crz4mm2 said:

And I agree, I want to slap the oldest daughter. The Son is about to get into trouble now too isn't he?

I know! What's w/that? I really like this show & the only reason West Wing lost me is because the head honchos moved it to Sunday night opposite Cold Case...not gonna switch my routine @ their wim & it PO's me that they do that.

I don't think they're specifically looking to slam the Republicans. No matter who is the head of the house & next in line after the VP usually is a PIA to whoever is in charge if it's in another party. I think if she were Republican vs Independent that the head Democrat of the minority party would be trying to do her in. It's politics.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter