Coming over to the dark side

cwf1028

Big TGM fan!
Returned a few weeks ago from 10 night trip to Disney and I can pretty much say that it was the last-until grandkids, of course. Had a great time, but can tell that we are at a point of been there and done that.

What do you love about Universal? Convience me that I will love it just like our first trip to Disney. Loved the fact that we had never even been to three of the parks so everything was new. Will Universal be exciting like that since we have never been? We like amusement parks, but can a vacation at Universal really compare to Disney? Is it easier to plan and more relaxed? I am tired of comando touring and want this trip to be entertaining with a good mix of relaxing. Can I plan on just two days for each park (total of 4) and still not have to make 'rope drop' and stay all day to fit it all in?

Plan on going May/June of 2011. Planning to stay onsite and going with an open mind and the expectation that a good time is a good time. Help get me excited!

You can have a VACATION not a commando plan everything down to the last detail plan of attack.

Rides are much better and if staying on site you get the FOTL where you won't have to waste time walking to and from rides just to get an express pass. Cooler coasters.

We even have one day left on free passes to Disney that my two kids, now teens, have been saying for years that they don't want to go back 'cause they like Uni so much better.

Your feet will not be exhausted at the end of the day. Smaller parks, so less walking. A lot of rides in a smaller space.

The 3 hotels are all deluxe resorts.

You can decide on the day of wanting to go to a great restaurant w/o having to make ADR 1 year in advance.

You can sleep in and still have a full day of riding.

A VACATION!!:banana::banana::banana:

Welcome to the Darkside. :woohoo:

What do you love about Universal?

Everything. :)

Convience me that I will love it just like our first trip to Disney.

You'll need no convincing if you go to Universal not expecting Disney. They are totally different.

Will Universal be exciting like that since we have never been?

Yes. ::yes::

We like amusement parks, but can a vacation at Universal really compare to Disney?

If you like amusement parks with thrill rides then yes. ::yes::

Is it easier to plan and more relaxed? I am tired of comando touring and want this trip to be entertaining with a good mix of relaxing. Can I plan on just two days for each park (total of 4) and still not have to make 'rope drop' and stay all day to fit it all in?

::yes:: Way easier to plan because there really is no planning needed, pick the hotel you want, buy the 7 day two park passes, and enjoy! All three hotels are beautiful resorts so you can't go wrong. You don't need ADR's booked months in advance, you don't need to be at rope drop if you stay onsite because you have front of the line access to all the rides (except Pteranodon Flyers.) You don't have to worry about waiting and waiting for the transportation from your hotel to the park. You just hop on a water taxi, or walk if you like down to the parks. Universal is a much more slow paced, take your time and relax, kinda place. That is why we love it so much. You actually enjoy your vacation. :thumbsup2

Plan on going May/June of 2011. Planning to stay onsite and going with an open mind and the expectation that a good time is a good time. Help get me excited!

This is the only way to go, with an open mind not expecting Disney. You will love Universal/IOA and the new Harry Potter World should be open by then too! :thumbsup2

Sounds like just what we are looking for. We actually skipped Disney on the last day of our trip and made a last minute trip to SeaWorld instead. I think the kids are done. Keep it coming!

Welcome to the dark side!

We don't have the benefit of FOTL and we still enjoy our trips to US/IOA tremendously. We have APs (that we got for a reasonable price) so we don't feel the need to rush around to do/see everything. If our kids want to linger at the water play areas we let them. They're happy, we're happy! (When we visit WDW I rush them to the next thing because we paid so darn much for our tickets and we can't "waste" them :( ). We take the parks at a much more leisurely pace. And we don't have to decide 90 days beforehand where we want to eat. Our vacations are much more relaxed and I don't feel the need for a vacation from our vacation by the time we get back.

And having APs is like vacation insurance. We always plan "just one more trip" because our tickets are covered.

Returned a few weeks ago from 10 night trip to Disney and I can pretty much say that it was the last-until grandkids, of course. Had a great time, but can tell that we are at a point of been there and done that.

What do you love about Universal? Convience me that I will love it just like our first trip to Disney. Loved the fact that we had never even been to three of the parks so everything was new. Will Universal be exciting like that since we have never been? We like amusement parks, but can a vacation at Universal really compare to Disney? Is it easier to plan and more relaxed? I am tired of comando touring and want this trip to be entertaining with a good mix of relaxing. Can I plan on just two days for each park (total of 4) and still not have to make 'rope drop' and stay all day to fit it all in?

welcome to the darkside.

first, many have stated what i would have said.

second, if you are already comparing the 2 parks, you might not enjoy your vacation there.

around here, we call it a theme park and not an amusement park, just as most don't call the motherland an amusement park.

4 days for your first visit should be fine.
if you stay onsite, you won't feel the need to be up at 7 in the morning to prepare for going to the park.

water taxis and walking from hotel to the parks and city walk is not time consuming.

read some of the trip reports in the other forum.
you will gain a lot of information from those that have been their first hand.

i'm sure you can find it a relaxing vacation. there are more things than just the parks to occupy your time for the 4 days you will be there.

Will Universal be exciting like that since we have never been? We like amusement parks, but can a vacation at Universal really compare to Disney?

Universal has great parks. We're pretty hard-core Disney fans (headed there with extended family this Aug.), but our one trip to USO in '04 was great. In fact, we've been missing USO so much that we're adding a few extra days to our vacation this year to visit USO again. The only real difference between USO and WDW is that USO is smaller - fewer parks, fewer resorts. Otherwise, USO is the equal of WDW in theming, great rides, etc. I think you'll definitely enjoy it. We certainly did. You really owe it to yourself to check it out.

Great stuff! We plan to stay a full week, but I don't want to do more than 4 days at a park. We like our down time and did not get enough of that on our Disney trip. We are also planning a day at Downtown Disney as I really wanted to see Cirque and they were not performing when we were there. I am glad to hear that there is good theming. I think the kids will really enjoy it. Thanks for all of the input. Sounds like just the trip I am looking for!

I have to chime in here to add the food is WAY better at Universal. Big juicy burgers with soft buns. Not those dried out tasteless burgers on healthy dry wheat buns. Much better variety in the parks and out of the parks. Having restaurants owned by different companies makes for a tastier experience. My kids were happy not to see the same ol crappy kids meal with grapes, carrots or applesauce at every stop. AND the food at PBH was terrific. I have never seen my kids eat spaghetti that fast when not at home. I wish I could have a Sal's pizza right now. MMmmmm....

Great stuff! We plan to stay a full week, but I don't want to do more than 4 days at a park. We like our down time and did not get enough of that on our Disney trip. We are also planning a day at Downtown Disney as I really wanted to see Cirque and they were not performing when we were there. I am glad to hear that there is good theming. I think the kids will really enjoy it. Thanks for all of the input. Sounds like just the trip I am looking for!

Dont get me wrong,Cirque Du Soleil is a GREAT show.But for the price and entertainment value,Blue Man Group is pretty darn good!!!:thumbsup2

Great to hear about the food. I have to say that we had such a great time at Disney the first time that food was not really a factor, however this last trip, the food was a big let down. We do more counter service than sit down, but both were lacking. I know what you mean about the hamburgers-yuck! I don't want healthy on vacation!

I thought about the Blue Man group, however we took the kids to one of the traveling Cirque shows last year when they came here to Atlanta and they have their heart set on going. Guess they have expensive taste!

One of the things I enjoy most about our Universal vacations is the fact that it is an actual vacation and when I get home I don't feel exhausted. We sleep in and then wander over to the parks where we never need to wait in line for very long so we just do the things we are in the mood for. Some of the rides we will do several times each day just because the re-ride factor is so great there. A few of the attractions we will just do once a trip. Then we have a leisurely lunch and dinner which we never book in advance. Sometimes we just go back to the hotel to lay around the pool or go visit another hotel and wander around. We like to shop at Citywalk and even have taken the shuttle over to SeaWorld.

Leisurely is the optimum word here. You do what you want to do when you want to do it. It actually is a vacation!

We stayed at the Hard Rock in January and, IMHO, it blows the doors off any WDW hotel except possibly Grand Floridian. US/IOA are much easier to tour and the Express Passes take the commando aspect out of it.
BD

I'm really getting excited now. My oldest DD was not crazy about getting up 'early'. Two years from now I don't think I will be able to get her out of bed early if I wanted to. Love that you can eat without planning it 6 months in advance. Can't wait!

If I had to pick between a Cirque show (not Love) or BMG, I would go with Cirque. I just saw the arena touring version of Saltimbanco and was floored. Of course, I believe BMG is coming down to SoFL soon, so I will have my tickets for that as well.

I have to chime in here to add the food is WAY better at Universal. Big juicy burgers with soft buns. Not those dried out tasteless burgers on healthy dry wheat buns. Much better variety in the parks and out of the parks. Having restaurants owned by different companies makes for a tastier experience. My kids were happy not to see the same ol crappy kids meal with grapes, carrots or applesauce at every stop. AND the food at PBH was terrific. I have never seen my kids eat spaghetti that fast when not at home. I wish I could have a Sal's pizza right now. MMmmmm....
If you like chicken, make sure you try the Chicken Tortilla Wrap at Thunder Falls Terrace in IOA...I get it every time I visit and it's always delicious!

US/IOA are much easier to tour and the Express Passes take the commando aspect out of it.
BD
:thumbsup2

I just tell people to NOT compare to Disney. Yes, they are all themeparks but after that the similarity pretty much ends.

What to expect.... Rides and shows are fun, food is good, employees are nice, hotels are amazing... Works for us. ;)

I am a super crazy Disney FREAK...and I love Universal/IOA. Like others have said - don't compare them. If you go in "understanding" that they are completely different experiences, you should have an amazing time!! My heart will Always be with Disney...but some of the rides and shows at Universal Trip me OUT!! Make sure you ride Superman. It's Crazy!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter