Come on guys, ITS NOT THAT BAD!!!

carterman_12

DIS Veteran
I normally don't post at all these days, since I have no planned trip to Orlando for at least the next two years, so I frequently just read the posts. But I am aware of all the negative attitudes towards Pop Century and I must say, its not that bad!!!

First off, it will be very sucessful for Disney. They desperatly need another mass value resort to hold all the athletes and other activities that are held at Wide World of Sports. And correct me if I am wrong, the resort is located very close to the sports facility. Besides all of that, their are family renunions and all that sort that need everyone to stay in one place. With all-stars, they couldn't do that because of all the vacation familes of four that occupied all three of them. With pop Century, they can stay together.

And then the people complain about the look? Heck, its a lot better than staying at the Howard Johnson or Motel Six isn't it? At least they didn't build a whole park with that theme- we all know what happened when they built a ugly park...its right across from Disneyland.

Come on people...it is not that bad.

Heck, its a lot better than staying at the Howard Johnson or Motel Six isn't it?
"Come on", I know that's not your standard for WDW, is it?

To phrase the question another way...

Do you really think this is the best Disney could do within the given budget?

I don't.

You're right in that it will probably be a financial success, but with a little creativity and effort, it could have been better and therefore been an even bigger financial success.

Howard Johnson and Motel 6 have a niche and it's not as a resort within a fantasy playland. I know that it's popular nowadays to compare Disney resorts to places such as these :confused: but to me it's like comparing apples and oranges. These motor inns are for budget travelers who are on their way to some destination and simply want a place to sleep. I personally want more from my Disney resort than simply a place to sleep. Besides neither chain have ever to my knowledge built several humdrum buildings and then slapped goofy sayings all over the outside and garish decorations all over the inside.

But this is just MY opinion and certainly doesn't need to be the same as everyone else's. If people like PC, I say go for it and enjoy! :)

DITTO to...
Raidermatt and Planogirl !!!! ;)

No it's not as bad as the run-of-the-mill hotel on the highway!! BUT.... it shouldn't even be compared to it.:eek:

I do agree that if they ditch the stupid catch phrases, do some decent landscaping and tone down the colors a bit....you could compare it to All Stars and it would be fine.....

I can't help but wonder.......
We have only seen the later years of the century....60's, 70's,etc,....and it actually all looks psycidelic 70's to me :confused:
But anyway......what are the 20's, 30's and 40's buildings going to look like?????:confused:
OMG.....we can only wonder.....

I would hope that we have higher standards than Motel 6 or Howard Johnson etc!!!!!
Are some people just going to buy anything disney gives us??? Is disney intentionally downgrading our expectations of them??? We are now suppose to love Pop Century and carny games in their park because they are themed a little bit better than Six Flags.
I hold disney up to higher standards than a low budget motel or a Six Flags because you can have them at cheaper prices but you also get what you pay for! Disney set the standard but doesnt it seem they keep lowering the bar and our expectations rather than rasing the bar and our expectations???

I usually don't find a lot to fault with WDW, but the Pop Century resorts really are hidious. The grotesque "catch phrases" that are plastered on the buildings are not only an eyesore, but they are just plain stupid. Whoever picked them out was not clever! They're not funny.
I predict that this will become Disney's $49 a night motel within 10 years. And, frankly, I HAVE seen Howard Johnson's that were more attractively painted.

If i ran the theme parks their would be no carny games in any of the parks!!!! The boardwalk doesnt bother me but the parks does bother me, and i would also get rid of the boats.
Carny games can be found anywhere, they are dime a dozen and arent needed in a theme park!

Do carney games bother you at DR Bob? We already know you hate DR so you won't be visiting that area anyway and further you DON'T have to participate...Also, as I recall you don't even like AK...Why do you need to eliminate something that someone else may enjoy in order to have fun? Does all of it have to be geared to your personal taste? I don't like Alien Encounter and that in no way diminises my enjoyment of MK. I don't care for the American Adventure pavillion at Epcot, yet I still love WS. The Indy show at MGM doesn't turn my crank, but my kids like it so it's ok with me...The Parks ae for the masses and you need to be able to look past what you don't like...Or is it just the evil Eisner that you can't get past?
:smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth:

variety is the "spice of life"..I agree with Captain Crook that one can just stay away from the parts of the parks that don't interest...I happen to LIKE DR...it is intended to look cheap and tacky-like some of the roadside parks out here in the west of 20-30 yrs ago when I was younger...I know the PW has cheap signage and other embellishments, but look at the ride itself, it is very well crafted. I don't like 'coasters, but my friends have enjoyed the ride very much. I went to the pin event at AK, and Chester and Hester were a HOOT... really tacky, but HILARIOUS...

I know that PC spoils the view from CB, and I DO hope they landscape it to shield it some, but I'm GLAD it is going to open, I may be able to afford to stay on property (and be able to snag a room) more often now...

Hey folks, you're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine...

IMO, yes, it really is that bad....

Actually, I wish I could find it funny. I will say one positive thing....Looking at the recent photos, the room decor looks fairly well understated and seems to have a more quiet retro feel. Of course, it clashes with the gaudiness of the exteriors. Honestly from what I can see of the design of the place it doesn't look like a whole lot of thought went into it.

Oh, and scoop....yes, carny games at WDW are in and of themselves bad....the whole concept (as invented long ago) is to give minimal entertainment while taking as much of your money as possible. Carny games are an exact metaphor for the "new" Disney philosophy that many of us find so disappointing.

I want quality and my sister in law wants value.

We both want Disney.

I get OKW she gets POP.

We get to spend time in Disney together. Priceless :)

"Oh, and scoop....yes, carny games at WDW are in and of themselves bad....the whole concept (as invented long ago) is to give minimal entertainment while taking as much of your money as possible."

I would agree with this thought, posted earlier, if it were not for the obvious exception that it is very easy to win a stuffed animal at the midway games. In fact, there is one game (both here and in Paradise Pier at California Adventure) that is designed to guarantee a prize. At Dino-Rama, it's the game where you bob the little animals on the head: just play with a friend and yourself--no other players (which should be easy given how few people seem to be playing). You are guaranteed to win a stuffed animal!
Real midway games give you NOTHING.

It is that bad.

Howard Johnson/Motel 6=passively bland. No harm no foul. Not trying to aspire to any previously stellar standards.

Pop Century=ACTIVELY ugly. Nothing passive about it. Real effort, however misguided, is driving this monstrosity. We've seen what Disney is capable of--they are the ones who set the bar so high with Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Yacht & Beach Club, etc.

Its like going to a club. Average looking guy, wearing polo shirt, jeans---he's cool.

Same club. You see Jon Lovitz's character in the Wedding Singer. He spent hours on that look and its bbbaaaadddd!!! Please someone----throw a polo and some jeans on him!!

Well, as I've stated before, Pop doesn't bother me (because I won't be staying there) but it certainly is not my style either...That said, as most of you know I've just recently had surgery and in the days of my highly sedated convelesence just ater the procedure I did look at the new pictures of Pop on that 'other' site and I must say that through the haze of the narcotics racing through my system I'm sure I heard myself audibly mumble the words "far out"...
:smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth:

CaptainCrook i will visit DR. I ride every roller coaster i can!!! But i dont like carny games at all. They are a ripoff where even if the guest wins he loses as the pirce of the item won will be less than the cost of the game. carny games are a dime a dozen and can be found at any state fair/six flags park etc and disney can and should be able to do better than that!! I hold them to higher expectations apparently than you do!!! I also like Ak for what it is, and that is a half day park where you are charged full price to enter. it shouldnt have been opened till Asia and DR was completed and should have had BK from day one as it was a major part of the park during the early pr blitz. We are here to give out opinions and that is what i do, parts that i dont like i will happily criticze and people can take it for what its worth!! carny games are a new part of the parks and once at Ak its only time till they will show up in other parks. Disney got along well without them and dont need them now!! With eisner its a crass way to take more money out of a guests pocket as he is aware that kids will whine to parents who will give in.
And finally what could you possible dislike about the American Pavilion at Epcot???

Moooboooks,
I guess I've been spoiled by the games in Rehoboth Beach DE....where you don't pay an arm and a leg to play and you win enough to make it fun. I don't care if I'm guaranteed a prize if I'm not paying $3 to toss a ball...but still, they don't belong in Disney parks. Personally I don't like them at Disney's boardwalk either....doesn't fit the theme of an old fashioned Boardwalk unless they're old fashioned games.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter