Columbus Weekend opinion? Please

Goldilocks07

A rockin' mom and her sweet princess
Can anyone tell me their experience going to WDW Columbus Day Weekend?
I usually avoid holidays like the plague, but bc of kids/timing, I'm considering it this year.
I'll take all travel opinions!
Thanks Dis'ers!!

We've done it quite a few times. Up until about four or five years ago, it was pretty busy, but not crazy. Since then, the proliferation of school fall breaks, and the number of special events that have been added have cranked it up considerably, especially at MK (MNSSHP) and EP (F&W festival). We survive it mostly through our standard Disney - You Crazy Plan: Rope drop, strategic FP+ use when it starts to get busy, and a willingness to park hop at any moment.

I don't want to dissuade you because it can be done, and lots of people do it. IMHO, you just need to set your expectations properly, and execute your plan. It will only be a bad time if you let it. That is one of the best Disney lessons we ever learned.

We learned the hard way 3 years ago to avoid this time. We go in Oct/Nov for Food&Wine every year, in 2013 we arrived on the Wed before CD Weekend, checked out the second Sat., a 10 day stay. The first 3 days were fine, moderate crowds in WS, even lower crowds at the other parks, these we compare with the first week in March which was 'our week' before we discovered F&W. Sat prior to CD the crowds were much higher though in truth Sat at F&W are busy there anyway. Sun., Columbus Day itself and the day after were nearly as busy at WS as Sat., not so bad in other parks. From Wed on crowds dwindled but since then we refuse to be there over that weekend and holiday.

Bill From PA

I am planning on arriving the Tuesday after Columbus Day - Im Canadian and it is right after our Thanskgiving (it gives us a long weekend to prepare beforehand). I have been in the past this week (7and 8 years ago), and it wasnt that bad. Does anyone have any other information about that week that follows the holiday. Im travelling with my boyfriend who can have very little patience, and now am worried it will be crazy and he will be grumpy the whole time, even though I am setting his expectations that it will be craazzzyyy busy in hopes it isnt too bad!

Are you just going for the weekend, or will the weekend just fall within your trip? We have been the week leading up to Columbus Day and left late in the day on the Sunday of that weekend the last few years. Our fall break is almost always the week before Columbus day. You definitely don't want to be in EPCOT that Saturday- it is crazy with FW. We are usually at AK or DHS that Saturday and they have always been fine- not horribly crowded. MK is usually open until midnight that night, so sometimes we hop there later at night and it is not as bad then as it is earlier in the day. We are usually at MK or EPCOT that Sunday until we have to go catch ME in the mid to late afternoon. They are more crowded than earlier in the week, but not nearly as bad as the week between Christmas and New Years or Spring Break. (Of course, last fall we had the hurricane that Thursday night and Friday- so Saturday and Sunday were great because a lot of people cancelled their trips- that was the one bright side to losing 1 1/2 park days due to the storm I guess. That was the first year we have ever had weather issues that week).

My sister in law did Columbus day weekend and she said it was crazy busy. Huge waits at all rides in MK and F&W pushed EPCOT crowds over the top. I love going in Oct, but not at that time!

Does anyone know if it slows down after the holiday? Do most people just go for the long weekend and head home after?

Yes, they typically lessen in the days after Columbus Day. It's still not a slow period, but at least better than the actual holiday weekend. We go during this time pretty frequently, and it's manageable with a good plan. If this is the best time to go for you, and you can avoid that weekend, go for it and have fun.

Yes, they typically lessen in the days after Columbus Day. It's still not a slow period, but at least better than the actual holiday weekend. We go during this time pretty frequently, and it's manageable with a good plan. If this is the best time to go for you, and you can avoid that weekend, go for it and have fun.

Thank you!! We will be arriving the Tuesday after, so it will work out for us, hopefully we will waving goodbye to everyone leaving as we land in Orlando! Ive decided to work with a travel service this trip, since so much has changed since I was there last so I will have some great help with making a good plan!

Thank you!! We will be arriving the Tuesday after, so it will work out for us, hopefully we will waving goodbye to everyone leaving as we land in Orlando! Ive decided to work with a travel service this trip, since so much has changed since I was there last so I will have some great help with making a good plan!

You're welcome! Nearly everyone has their own plan, so I can only tell you what works for us during this time. Rope drop and hit your must do's in the first couple of hours. Plan your FP+ selections a little later in the day when the crowds start to build. Don't be afraid to hop to another park, assuming you buy park hoppers, when it gets busy. But above all, don't panic when things start to get a bit frayed, and don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

To be honest, I never even knew there was such a day, but with being Canadian, it usually coincides with our Thanksgiving, so makes sense I never heard about it until going to Disney around that time!

We took our oldest DD and family last year and started our week on Columbus Day weekend, it was crowded but not the worst I have seen. With a good plan and strategic FP+ it is absolutely do-able. We did however take more breaks during the actual holiday weekend, knowing we had the rest of the week. Hit rope drop, use your FP+ and enjoy if you go during that period.

We went on Columbus Day weekend in 2011 and had no issues at all. In fact, we were talking about how great it was (low crowds compared to the summer months). Since then we have went the 3rd week in October just to be safe. MK on a non party day was a NIGHTMARE (never again will we do that!) but on a party night it was fabulous! Its a safe bet that October will be far less crowded than the summer months but don't expect it to not be crowded at all. Get you a strategic plan and be flexible when necessary. The weather is great that time of year!

I did that weekend two years ago. It was the most crowded I have ever seen in my 20 trips. We still had fun, but the lines were a bit rough.

We've done it quite a few times. Up until about four or five years ago, it was pretty busy, but not crazy. Since then, the proliferation of school fall breaks, and the number of special events that have been added have cranked it up considerably, especially at MK (MNSSHP) and EP (F&W festival). We survive it mostly through our standard Disney - You Crazy Plan: Rope drop, strategic FP+ use when it starts to get busy, and a willingness to park hop at any moment.

I don't want to dissuade you because it can be done, and lots of people do it. IMHO, you just need to set your expectations properly, and execute your plan. It will only be a bad time if you let it. That is one of the best Disney lessons we ever learned.
I would agree with all of this, having done it years ago and more recently. We still didn't have an issue getting everything done that we wanted to -- we are rope-droppers, EMH-users, and FP-users. I can imagine that like in any busy time, if you roll up around 11am, you won't have the same experience that we did. Enjoy, whenever you choose to go!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter