• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Coloradoans heading to NYC for fresh air!!! 7/7/12- 7/15/12 5 day

jjharts

Mouseketeer
me,dh,dd-13

Thought I would write a quick trip report before I forget all of the highlights of our trip (with my memory that should only take a few minutes!!!) When we left it was pretty hazy out - as it had been for several weeks due to all of the forest fires. We live in a small town in northern Colorado along the front range, so between the High Park Fire and the southern Wyoming fire it had been a while since we had a clear day. I joked on our trip that we had to go all the way to New York City just to find fresh air!!!

Day 1: Flew out of DIA to Laguardia on United. Grabbed a cab to Manhatten and checked into the Waldorf Astoria. What a gorgeous hotel!! Our room was perfect. We headed out for a little sight seeing - saw the Chrysler Building, Grand Central Station, Park Ave, Serendipity 3, Bloomingdales and even got to see some NY firefighters in action. It was an exciting evening!! Ate at a little pizzeria and then later at a little deli (don't remember names). It was hot and muggy (we aren't used to humidity!!) so went back to the hotel to relax for the evening.

Day2: We got up early and walked to the Rockefellar Center. Went to the Top of the Rock (pretty cool view!). Walked around and checked out St. Barts and St. Patricks Cathedrals. There was a street fair on Madison Ave. so we ate and shopped the booths. Made our way back to the hotel to check out and taxied to the pier. Boarded the Magic around 12:45pm and went to Parrot Cay for lunch. Pretty soon our room was ready and we got settled in. Watched the sail away party from the pool deck, then watched as we sailed by the Statue of Liberty and under the Verrazano Bridge from our balcony. Then it was time for the show - Ron Lucas cracks me up!! Dinner was at Parrot Cay and then it was time for bed !!!

Day3 - At Sea Day - Had breadkfast and went to the DVC Member Celebration. My daughter (13) had checked out the Edge last night and decided that she wasn't interested in doing anything in there this cruise (this was our 7th cruise -3rd with Disney and she used to love the kids clubs....guess she's growing up :( ) The weather was cold and foggy outside so that only left one thing to do.....yup!! BINGO!! I won on the first card (sadly, the only time I would win) Did some Disney Trivia and relaxed! The show was Twice Charmed (we all really enjoyed it!!) and dinner was at Lumiere"s and this was dress-up night. Went to a dance party, then called it a night.

Day 4- Halifax - Our excursion for today was the Lunenburg-Unesco World Heritage Sight. I was particularly looking forward to this excursion as we had been in Nova Scotia last year but didn't have time to go to Lunenberg. I was not disappointed. It was over an hour ride in a bus, but our tour guide was a retired history teacher and was very informative. The walking tour of Lunenberg was given by a local gal - also very informative. The town of Lunenberg is oh so pretty!!! We had lunch at one of the little restaurants then boarded the bus to head to a pretty little village called Mahone Bay for some shopping. It was also a charming little town. Headed back to Halifax and drove around the Citadel (our bus driver was amazing!!!) Back to the ship for Villians Tonight (good show but not our favorite) and dinner at Animator's Palate. I think we went to kareoke afterwards - my daughter is a singer so I had to make her do this at least once!!ha!ha!

Day 5 - Saint John - We had stayed in Saint John last year and didn't care to see any of the city again so I booked us on the Bay of Fundy Whale and Wildlife Watching excursion (we love whale watching!!!). Again on a bus for over an hour - with yet another wonderful tour guide:) St Andrews is the town where we got on the catamaran - also a pretty little town full of charm. Our guides on the catamaran were very good and it wasn't long before we were seeing seals, porpoises, eagles and minke whales. I was so hoping to see a fin whale this time but no such luck (gives me reason to go back again!!) Ate lunch in town then back to the boat. The show tonight was Ron Lucas (hilarious!!) and it was Pirate Night. Our dining rotation was perfect as we were back in Parrot Cay tonight :) The weather had turned by time the party on the deck got started but we stuck it out and watched from deck 10 -the fireworks were worth it!!

Day 6 - at sea day - Started the day off with the animation class on Pluto and Donald - turned out pretty darn good if I do say so myself!! Had brunch at Palo's.....scrumptious!!! Did some shopping and then went to see Brave (saw this at home but just had to see it again - we are booked to do the Scotland ABD next year!!! so excited!!!) Played some more Bingo and some more trivia, then it was time to start packing (insert groan here!!). Went to Dreams (probably my favorite show) and dinner at Lumieres again. Watched Til We Meet Again and bought last minute souveniers.

Day 7- NYC - Got up at 4am to watch as we pulled into the Hudson - so glad I did this!!! The lights of Manhatten were spectacular and it was soo quiet!! We ate breakfast at Lumieres and waited for our purple Minnie tags to be called - last ones off which was exactly what I wanted!! Decided not to wait in cab line, so we drug our bags thru Hell's Kitchen and all the way up to Times Square (not that long of walk really, but with suitcases in tow it sure seems like it!!) Checked into the Hilton - what a great location!! Had a great view of the Empire State Building and off in the distance 1 World Trade Center. Walked around Times Square for a while and headed up to Ellen's Stardust Dinner - what a fun restaurant!!) Went to Madame Toussauds with dd (husband says "you seen one, you've seen them all" - but we enjoyed it.) Shopped at the Disney Store and M&M store. Then it was time for Mary Poppins (we wanted to do the backstage tour thru the ship but they didn't have enough people signed up for this so we just got a discount on the tickets - the seats were great!!) We had seen this exact show in Denver but it was nice to see it on "Broadway" and the New Amsterdam Theatre is just beautiful!!

Day 9 - NYC - I had booked the New York Water Taxi for today. We walked to the pier early and sat and enjoyed the morning. Boarded at 10am and rode down to Battery Park. Walked to the 9/11 memorial in plenty of time for our reservation time slot. Walked around the memorial (very nicely done) and then went for a slice at a wonderful little pizza place. Headed back to the water taxi which took us up by the Brooklyn Bridge and out by the Statue of Liberty. It was a nice ride :) Headed back to the hotel for a while to get ready for this evenings show "The Newsies". What a great show - I highly recommend it!!!! It's dds new favorite musical.

day 10 - home - Got up early and grabbed a cab back to Laguardia. It was a sad day!! Flight was good - I love flying on Frontier (but what happened to those yummy chocolate chip cookies they used to give you??!!)

All in all, it was a great vacation and I can't wait to sail with Mickey again (I think we will go in 2014 on the Fantasy - now if they will just get that itinerary posted!!)

Fellow Coloradoans signing on- we sail in September.
Thanks for the report.

How much time would you recommend allowing for the 911 Memorial? We have tickets reserved, but were wondering how large the area is, and how long they allow you to view it?
Thanks!

No time limit on how long you can stay - we were there for probably an hour and a half. We did not go to the visitor center, so you might want to allow a little more time for that if it's on your "to do" list. The museum is not finished yet and it doesn't look like it will be open by September. It took some time to get thru the queue line (security included a metal detector). Area wise, I would say it's a couple of city blocks long by one block wide. It took about 20 minutes to walk there from Battery Park. I would have liked to go by Trinity Church or do a guided walking tour but I was out-voted :( Hope you have a great trip :thumbsup2

I'm thankful for the feedback on the whale-watching tour. That's the Saint John excursion I've booked, and I've been worried it was overpriced for the experience.

Yep, it's kind of pricey but I think it was worth it. We have done other whale watching tours and it was comparable. When do you sail? You may be there in time for the humpbacks. I think we were a little too early.

Hi from Denver! The smoke has been terrible...so glad we've finally got a little respite from the fires....it's going to be a long summer.

Your trip sounds fantastic...I love NYC and would have loved to do one of the cruises from there.

Jill in CO

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter