Color your own hair

I was skeptical at first but now I do mine all the time. I use Garnier Nutriese. Love it!

Another Loreal Prefrence user here until a few weeks ago I had long hair half way down back that was very curly no way I could have used the comb that came with the hair color. I cut my hair off it not an inch long (love it!!!)

Recently I found the Loreal Prefrence on clearance at Target in my color redish brown I can't remember the number right off top of my head but the clearance was a 2 pack for like 4.00 an yes the expiration dates was like 2 yrs away so I bought all they had a total of like 12 or 14 boxes.

Just be sure to cover anything you don't want dyed sink etc with a towel I start at the sink where I got a mirror to do my roots an old toothbrush can work for this then get in shower an do the rest. Just besure to clean up any drips or splashes immediately or the dye will stain! A bit of bleach on a cotton ball cleaned up a drip I missed a couple weeks ago tho. I had to leave it soak a few mins (just cleaned it up tonight but I also been out of town ever since I did my hair last.) I do not like bleachin tub tho to harsh as eats the finish which makes the tub harder to clean in the long run.

My complaint now that my hair is so short I don't even need half the dye but it's easier to throw rest away than it is to only mix half an try to save it an for what I bought the stuff for I can afford to throw half of it away. Salon would still charge me full price even tho I now have very short hair.

Thanks for all the responses. I think I am going to try it myself. Still nervous though. Wish me luck :thumbsup2

I don't live in a big city, but those are the prices here for higher end salons. Interesting. I guess it's all about perspective where money is concerned. Of course it's more expensive than the chains (where the focus is quantity), but I've never thought salon prices (even before I was a stylist) to be :scared1:. Actually, the $10 haircuts scared me more than the $60 ones. ;):rotfl:

Actually, this is a pretty average price here. Before my stylist changed salons I was paying $300, so, yes, I do consider this a "bargain." Again, I have very thick, very coarse, difficult to manage hair, and I am blonde, which, as others have said, is a very difficult color to get right, and make look natural. I would not trust the barbers and the recent graduates from beauty school at Super Cuts or Hair Cuttery with my hair. Sometimes you DO get what you pay for!

I use natural instincts. It's so easy and my hair is actually healthier looking when I use it. It washes out in 28 washes or so, for me that is one month but it seems to last longer. The newer colors have a "warm glow" added which even though it's a solid color make it look like very little highlights
have been added. I love this product and would recommend it. BTW, my hair is dark brown with a few gray streaks and I use 28G. Good luck!

I have long, medium/light brown hair that I have been coloring at home for decades. My guess is, left uncolored, I am probably about 75% grey (but who can tell? my haircolor is whatever it says on the box :lmao:) I use Color Silk by Revlon, which is really cheap ($2.50/treatment) and color every 6-8 weeks. When I started I used two boxes to get all my hair (thick, long) but now only do the roots and whatever is leftover I use on the ends, which tend to lighten up fairly quickly. I find that I need to leave it on for about 30 minutes to get good coverage. I have tried the more expensive OTC brands but find that Color Silk works well for me. I think I use the two boxes about twice a year, still, for even coverage, but just do the roots and ends in between. Sometimes I use the "for grey hair" brands, which are supposed to give better, longer grey coverage, but haven't noticed much difference.

Tips: "golden" shades tend to bring out reddish highlights on brown hair, "ash" shades leave a more normal-color. Keep some rubbing alcohol on hand- use it on a cotton ball to wash off the "oops" drips on the sink or on your skin. I have an old shower cap that I wear over my hair while it is coloring to prevent accidents, like if I sit on the couch and lean back or something. (I am wearing it- and coloring- as I type!!)

There's no way we could afford for me to have my hair professionally colored. Basic coloring starts at about $60 in our area. That would be over $500 a year, just to have my hair colored? That's crazy, and definitely not in our budget. I know it's affordable for some, but not for us.

i've been coloring my own hair for years but recently found sally beauty supply. i love the clairol gray busters and other clairol permanent liquid color. it leaves your hair soft and doesn't stink. it's quite a bit less expensive than the drugstore as well.
you have to buy the color, the developer and the bottle separately but once you do all that, you'll save a ton and never go back to a box of color. the women who work at sally beauty will help you get everything you need and give color advice too!

Ok, I really want to do this, and do it on my own. But it seems soooo overwhelming. You all have given great advice and I am very thankful to you all. I hope to try it this week. I will let you all know how it goes. Maybe even post a picture, if it goes well....:rotfl:

I have been using Loreal preference for years. I normall use the med reddish brown for my persistent gray hairs..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter