Colombia March 2024

I didn't realize ABD went to Columbia. Dh and I were just saying it looks like a nice place to visit after it was featured on Amazing Race.

I just read a trip review on the book of faces from a family on the Colombia adventure and it looks absolutely amazing! 😍 We have not done an ABD yet but hoping to soon and so far Costa Rica, Galapagos and now Colombia are all on the list...decisions decisions 😂😍

I just read a trip review on the book of faces from a family on the Colombia adventure and it looks absolutely amazing! 😍 We have not done an ABD yet but hoping to soon and so far Costa Rica, Galapagos and now Colombia are all on the list...decisions decisions 😂😍
Galapagos is amazing..! I hope I'm wrong but I'd go sooner rather than later. Overfishing, climate change, and just more tourists in general may affect it in a nearer future than the others will be.

Galapagos is amazing..! I hope I'm wrong but I'd go sooner rather than later. Overfishing, climate change, and just more tourists in general may affect it in a nearer future than the others will be.
Oh gosh, that's not good. Thanks for the perspective.

Oh yay! I am so glad you posted as we booked this exact trip (our first ABD!) for later this year. I would love to learn if there is anything you think we should know before the trip. My main question at this time is if you got a lot of photos at the end as I have heard some families book a family photo session with a local photographer when they have traveled to Cartagena as it is so picturesque but I am wondering if that is overkill since we have our guides taking photos along the way.

Oh yay! I am so glad you posted as we booked this exact trip (our first ABD!) for later this year. I would love to learn if there is anything you think we should know before the trip. My main question at this time is if you got a lot of photos at the end as I have heard some families book a family photo session with a local photographer when they have traveled to Cartagena as it is so picturesque but I am wondering if that is overkill since we have our guides taking photos along the way.
Keep an eye on the weather forecast 8-) It was chilly in Bogota and at night in the Cocora Valley and then super hot and humid in Cartagena. The guides take lots of pictures. I felt like I had plenty between those that I took and theirs. If you're looking for more professional shots you might want more? Depending on your camera it's hard not to get some amazing shots, it's really colorful.

Last edited:
Keep an eye on the weather forecast 8-) It was chilly in Bogota and at night in the Cocora Valley and then super hot and humid in Cartagena. They guides take lots of pictures. I felt like I had plenty between those that I took and theirs. If you're looking for more professional shots you might want more? Depending on your camera it's hard not to get some amazing shots, it's really colorful.
Thanks! Will do on the weather and I'm glad they took so many photos. Did you happen to have any interesting things you did on the "on your own" time that you would recommend (or anything to avoid)?

Thanks! Will do on the weather and I'm glad they took so many photos. Did you happen to have any interesting things you did on the "on your own" time that you would recommend (or anything to avoid)?
There wasn't a lot of on your own time. A couple of meals which they recommended great options, and one opportunity for shopping in Salento which I appreciated :-)
There were a couple of families that came in to Bogota early that hired a cab for the day to take them around the city. I came in early and got a massage/scrub/facial package at the hotel. It was amazing!

We are coming in to Bogota a couple of days early to see the Salt Cathedral and the Botero Museum and go to Montserrate, and on our one afternoon off there were planning to go to the Andino Mall and eat at Andres Carne de Res. We were just going to go to the pool at the hotel when we are in Armenia, but am trying to figure out what to do on our afternoons off in Cartagena. Maybe hotel pool one day but not sure of the other. We have kids and Cartagena is so hot (we stopped there once on the DCL Panama Canal cruise) so I thought pool will be ideal. But we need to get the kids to bed at a reasonable time so I am curious when they say “afternoon on your own” , what time do the guides usually leave you - like 3?

Also, what time was your welcome dinner the first night? I want to make sure I am not planning too much sightseeing that day.

We are coming in to Bogota a couple of days early to see the Salt Cathedral and the Botero Museum and go to Montserrate, and on our one afternoon off there were planning to go to the Andino Mall and eat at Andres Carne de Res. We were just going to go to the pool at the hotel when we are in Armenia, but am trying to figure out what to do on our afternoons off in Cartagena. Maybe hotel pool one day but not sure of the other. We have kids and Cartagena is so hot (we stopped there once on the DCL Panama Canal cruise) so I thought pool will be ideal. But we need to get the kids to bed at a reasonable time so I am curious when they say “afternoon on your own” , what time do the guides usually leave you - like 3?

Also, what time was your welcome dinner the first night? I want to make sure I am not planning too much sightseeing that day.

The Salt Cathedral, Botero Museum and Montserrate were on my list for one of my pre-days. As it turned out my flight was delayed 14 hours in DFW and I ended up arriving a day late. I'll have to go back on my own 🤩

The pools at the hotels in Armenia and Cartagena are fantastic. There was really only one night in Cartagena that I felt there was enough time to go out and do something.

I believe we met the first night at 5:30 for the Welcome dinner.

The Salt Cathedral, Botero Museum and Montserrate were on my list for one of my pre-days. As it turned out my flight was delayed 14 hours in DFW and I ended up arriving a day late. I'll have to go back on my own 🤩

The pools at the hotels in Armenia and Cartagena are fantastic. There was really only one night in Cartagena that I felt there was enough time to go out and do something.

I believe we met the first night at 5:30 for the Welcome dinner.
Great minds think alike! Sorry your pre-day didn’t turn out as planned due to the flight delay. I wish this Adventure were for longer than a week so we could see even more but I can see why they do it for that long.

Did you enjoy Colombia? Sounds like you would like to return!

Great minds think alike! Sorry your pre-day didn’t turn out as planned due to the flight delay. I wish this Adventure were for longer than a week so we could see even more but I can see why they do it for that long.

Did you enjoy Colombia? Sounds like you would like to return!
I loved it! I was a Peace Corps volunteer in Latin America 30+ years ago. The memories flooded back 🥰

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter