College textbooks...buying them used?

sherry7

DIS Veteran
The people here on the Budget Board are a wealth of information, so I'm hoping you all can give me some information.

DS graduates high school later this month, and will be starting college in June (summer classes). Earlier today, I stopped at the college bookstore to check out the prices of textbooks, and nearly had a heart attack. :scared:

I knew textbooks were expensive, but I guess my mind was stuck back in my college days, and what I paid for them at that point. To give you an example, the Psychology book he needs is $170. :eek:

When I was in college, the bookstore used to have a certain amount of used books available, which were a bit cheaper. I only saw a few like that, and not in any of the subjects he needed.

Can you buy used textbooks on the internet? I'm thinking eBay, but I'm guessing that there are probably dedicated websites for it too. If anyone has any information, I'd be grateful. Thanks! :)

www.half.com

Amazon's marketplace has a few, too.

DH's book for his summer class was $180 at the bookstore. I found it brand new through Amazon for $135. I'll be returning it to the bookstore next week. :) I ALWAYS check online before buying from the bookstore.

Keep in mind, the bookstore probably hires seasonally. My BFF is the ***. Manager here and I worked there before the fall semester last year (it was about 4 weeks) but it got DH and I 35% off our textbooks, too!

Once you know the exact edition he needs (get the ISBN number) you can check ebay or amazon.com for used ones. You could also try posting a wanted ad on Craigslist or at the school (students who are finishing the class he is starting may be willing to sell you their book). You pay more than the bookstore would pay them for turning it in and less than you would have to pay the bookstore for the used book.

Good luck.

Half.com is E-bays book Site.

My Niece used it all through college and let us know for DDs HighSchool books we had to by.

It's real easy to use and we have both sold as well as purchased books that way.

Just use the proper Code numbers and check Versions and you should be fine

Also check into renting the textbooks. We have rented multiple times from Chegg.com and have been very happy. The shipping is fast and the returns are very easy. And much cheaper if they are books that they will not need in the future.

We have also purchased used books through Half.com and Amazon

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE check the ISBN number when ordering books. Also, please make sure it's the fall '09 book list you are looking at, and not the spring '09/summer'09 book list. My university doesn't even put out the fall '09 book list until August. If you check those two things, I highly recommend purchasing expensive books through half.com, etc. I do it for all books over $20. (If it's less than $20, after shipping it's just the same... might as well just buy it in person.) I bought all new books my Freshman year, first semester, and it was just so silly. When my school buys them back at the end of the semesters, they don't care if you got the books on campus or not, they'll still buy them back.

But, again, please make sure you are looking at the Fall '09 book list, as some universities don't put them out until closer to the Fall semester. And when classes have new books, they typically change in the fall semester and I'd hate for you to buy books for the wrong semester. (I've done it. Luckily, some times the old editions of books are close to the new editions and the teacher/professor will allow you to use the old one, just be sure to have a friend in the class for if something is different in the new edition.)

:goodvibes

The people here on the Budget Board are a wealth of information, so I'm hoping you all can give me some information.

DS graduates high school later this month, and will be starting college in June (summer classes). Earlier today, I stopped at the college bookstore to check out the prices of textbooks, and nearly had a heart attack. :scared:

I knew textbooks were expensive, but I guess my mind was stuck back in my college days, and what I paid for them at that point. To give you an example, the Psychology book he needs is $170. :eek:

When I was in college, the bookstore used to have a certain amount of used books available, which were a bit cheaper. I only saw a few like that, and not in any of the subjects he needed.

Can you buy used textbooks on the internet? I'm thinking eBay, but I'm guessing that there are probably dedicated websites for it too. If anyone has any information, I'd be grateful. Thanks! :)

You can check Amazon, textbooks dot com, and several other online places. Just watch and make sure you are getting the correct edition. When I buy my books online I always make sure the seller has a money back guarantee,. Congrats to your Ds!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell you son to check the library at his new school . . . if there's a copy in the library, and if it isn't a reference book, he could check it out as a library book.

Okay, I have been an online student for about 4 years (I will finish in the Spring of 2010!!!) I almost always buy my textbooks online.
Step 1: Get the ISBN - Some schools will post this number and others will be very secretive about it. Sometimes you can use the title, author and edition to find the ISBN on Amazon.com
Step 2: Go to addall.com and enter the ISBN number. This is a website that searches for textbooks and finds the lowest price. It also includes some places that rent textbooks.
Step 3: Order books from the site listed. addall will show you the price with shipping.
The only caution I have about buying books is if it includes software. Most books online do not come with the software and I often find it worth my time and worry to just get it directly from the school.
Step 4: Sell you books on half.com - you will get more money for them than the bookstore will give you! Many times I am able to use this money to pay for the next round of books!
Good Luck! Let me know if you need any more help. I buy all of my brother's textbooks also so I am very experienced.

www.amazon.com

www.half.com

www.bn.com (if you have a barnes and noble membership, and you still prefer "new")

There should be a used bookstore near your school, and if not, there should be kids selling the books on ebay or on amazon.

MAKE SURE the ISBN number is the right one - you don't want a separate edition.

I was an English major, my books were my life! I bought ALL used, and I still have them because I spent so little, I didn't see the point in selling them back for 1/20 the cost (and really, you will NOT get much back by selling them).

One semester that included Advanced Spanish and Biology, my books alone cost $700.

IN ONE SEMESTER! :scared1:

I only spent $350 - half the cost! There are some classes that will let you go "without," as well - if you know someone in the class you can split the cost of the book, or you can get by (sparingly, with help from the library book) without buying one at all - but I wouldn't recommend that, it leads to slacking off!

Good luck, and yes, the books are the scariest part! That's what kept me working all summer long, to save for friggin' BOOKS! :sad2:

My DD is a Junior at Ohio State and for this quarter-she rented.
Best thing ever!

Try Chegg.com like another poster said.
If your son likes the book and wants to keep it for some reason you can buy it from them. DD also sold her last quarter books to Chegg and got more money than she would have at OSU.

Lisa

When I was in school, I got budget-burned by going to the bookstore freshman year, so I learned quickly. After that, I only went there for an emergency!

I also used half.com. Just write down the ISBN code. If you can't find them used anywhere, you may be able to order some through Barnes & Noble or Books a Million. 99% of the time, they were cheaper than the bookstore too. Plus, make sure to save the receipts if you use B&N or BAM. That way, if your student ends up not needing the books, you can get your money back through a return (several of my professors were notorious for requiring a book, then not using it).

Thanks for the advice everyone. :)

Unfortunately, I'm not able to find either of the books he needs for this summer. I checked the ISBN numbers (9780321584489 and 9780536922045) and I can't find either of them. Maybe they're new editions...I dunno. It looks like we might have to pay full price for them at the bookstore. :sad2:

One thing no one mentioned is that it can take a long time to get a text book after ordering it online. I tried to order my DD a book last semester and I ordered it 2 weeks before classes started and it wasn't going to arrive until 4 weeks later. She purchases her books from a slighty off campus store which is somewhat cheaper than the university store.

One thing to keep in mind when searching for ISBN numbers is that if the school used a bundle, oftentimes the bundles will have a different ISBN number than the text itself. You might also want to wait until your DS/DD goes to class the first day to see if the text is required or recommended.

Many schools use BlackBoard or some kind of course management system - for summer courses you could look to see if it is up and available, as textbook info might be posted there. One important exception to ordering books elsewhere are the kinds of custom-published books/manuals that would only be available through a particular school (this happens fairly frequently in lab science courses).

Another thought...many texts are now available as e-books at a significant savings. It might be a useful format for some people. :confused3

Lastly, for those that talked about shipping delays, it is possible that the school might have copies of the text on reserve in the library, which should do for a week or two while you await the arrival of a text ordered online. It's a tad inconvenient to hit the library, but it does force you to make a trip and thus might make you more determined to make the journey worthwhile by using said text. :thumbsup2

One thing to keep in mind when searching for ISBN numbers is that if the school used a bundle, oftentimes the bundles will have a different ISBN number than the text itself. You might also want to wait until your DS/DD goes to class the first day to see if the text is required or recommended...........

I think that is the problem...they are bundled books, and the ISBN must be different. I was driving myself nuts because I couldn't find them online. :confused3

I found 2 of the books he needs for sale on Craigslist, at a huge savings. Hopefully, that will work out.

Thanks everyone for the advise. :)

When in doubt, email your professor. My son had a used book that wasn't the current edition, but the professor told him he could still use it (saved us $$$). We never buy new. Also - when ordering books online, be sure and pay a little more to get "expedited shipping". Shipping anything "media mail" can take weeks!!

buying books are the scariest part about the new semester for me, thats for sure!!

but, i thought i would throw it out there that selling them on half.com at the end of the semester is also helpful!! usually i can make my money back ( or even more) and then reinvest the money in the books i need.

good luck!! :goodvibes

Some bookstores on campus also sell used books and actually buy back the books at the end of the semester. I did that. I bought used for every book I could and only bought new when they didn't have used.

Everyone has already given all the suggestions I have for buying.

My suggestion is for selling. I sell all my books back at amazon marketplace. I have sold them all back for at least what I paid for them. Don't sell them back to the campus book store. They don't typically pay much. You've gotta think, they're planning to turn around and sell that book for twice what they're giving you back for it.

Amazon marketplace for getting your money back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter