• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

College Program Questions Thread, Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone! I'm reapplying for the program in August for the Spring 2012 program. I need advice on the web interview, because I didn't pass it when I applied last semester. I've waited so long for this, and I want it so bad. What advice can you guys give me on doing well on the web interview? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!::MinnieMo

Hello everyone, this is my very first time posting. I attend Central Michigan University, and am thinking about doing the Fall Advantage 2012. I had a couple questions about the hospitality roles, mainly Front Desk. Has anyone participated in one?? Do they prefer Hospitality Majors? If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to whoever answers this! :-)

Ok, I'm down at WDW right now for my CP, but I'm still trying to figure out how Disney works... and The Hub is really hard to navigate.

I know that the Maingate pass has block out dates, but I read that someone mentioned that our Cast member ID will also be blocked out for complimentary entry at certain points of the year, mentioning the same dates at the blue maingate pass.

Is this true? Or was this person talking about the blue maingate pass, and using confusing words?

It's really going to stink if I can't get into the park I work in for free for most of July ):

You can get in every single day. I got in on Christmas eve last year at Magic Kingdom which I'm sure was a block out day for the main entrance pass haha.

Hello everyone, this is my very first time posting. I attend Central Michigan University, and am thinking about doing the Fall Advantage 2012. I had a couple questions about the hospitality roles, mainly Front Desk. Has anyone participated in one?? Do they prefer Hospitality Majors? If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to whoever answers this! :-)

I am partially trained in Front Desk (got a TA and left part way through, but am returning in August). I am not a CP, but I may be able to answer some of your other front desk questions.

Ok, I'm down at WDW right now for my CP, but I'm still trying to figure out how Disney works... and The Hub is really hard to navigate.

I know that the Maingate pass has block out dates, but I read that someone mentioned that our Cast member ID will also be blocked out for complimentary entry at certain points of the year, mentioning the same dates at the blue maingate pass.

Is this true? Or was this person talking about the blue maingate pass, and using confusing words?

It's really going to stink if I can't get into the park I work in for free for most of July ):

IDs do not have block out dates. HOWEVER, if a park goes into a phased closing, one of those phases will block CM IDs. I've been here 3 years and it's never happened, but it is a possibility.

Here is the link for your WDW block out dates, login required.

I have a question about the classes. I know that it probably depends on the university, but what type of credit do the classes give? Do they mostly count as electives?

I'm asking because right now I am doing summer classes, and with these classes that I am taking now (plus the ones I did as transfer credits) I will be done with all my elective credits as an undergrad. If I go according to my academic advisor's plan, I will be able to apply to the college of business by Fall 2012.

I just wanted to know what type of credit did the classes give you, or just doing the CP (to the one who took classes or not and recieved credits).

not really sure where to post this,
but does anyone happen have any new information about the career start program?

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure you'll just have to wait till recruiting season to see if they're recruiting for Careerstart. It's kind of sad they didn't have it this year as it was how I was originally exposed to the Disney internships in the first place.

On the Hub and in your area, there should be opportunities posted. I know there is a link in the Hub to take you to a site that has drop downs to help search for various opportunities and log your hours. My oldest racked up a bunch of hours volunteering for the S.T.A.G.E. group last year, (amateur dramatics). I helped coordinate the Back To School supply drive last year and our department recently helped with a Bowl a Thon.
Here is the link for VoluntEars info (login required)

Last year I logged 77 hours and Disney paid $1000 to the charity of my choice (American Cancer Society)!

Gray - I didn't know you could log hours with STAGE (since it's not technically a charity). I was in two of their shows and didn't log any hours!! Oh well, I maxed out my hours already so it wouldn't have made a difference for my grant.
Thank you so much!!

I'm still a little unsure about what type of clothing is appropriate for traditions and the classes. Do you have to wear button down shirts or are button down sweaters ok? And are black pants ok for girls? And what about skirts and dresses? I don't have that much professional attire so I'm just wondering how much shopping I'm going to have to do.

I'm still a little unsure about what type of clothing is appropriate for traditions and the classes. Do you have to wear button down shirts or are button down sweaters ok? And are black pants ok for girls? And what about skirts and dresses? I don't have that much professional attire so I'm just wondering how much shopping I'm going to have to do.

Black dress pants are fine. I would avoid khakis and Dockers as those have to be pressed with a seam and appear "professionally laundered". I generally wear a blouse of some kind, most of the men I work with wear dress shirts. I do tend to layer, esp now that it's hot, so I will wear a sleeveless blouse (at least a 3" strap) and a sweater or shrug over it. If I get too hot, I'm still "Disney Look" without the sweater.

Skirts and dresses are better off not being too colorful or patterned. Thsi would be appropriate: http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx...94936940&Nao=0&PSO=0&CmCatId=70656|80145&sa=1

This would not be so much: http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx...94936940&Nao=0&PSO=0&CmCatId=70656|80145&sa=1

JCPenney generally has some kind of sale going on a pant or skirted suit, which I think is always a smart investment, esp for interviews or meet & greets. You can't go wrong with this:http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx...&N=4294932402&Nao=0&PSO=0&CmCatId=82709|82775

Example of a Disney Look top:http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx...294932399+550&Nao=0&PSO=0&CmCatId=82709|82718

I like these pants, they are very comfortable, wash, and pop over a hanger to dry, last forever:http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx...&cmAMS_Z=XGN3TOPOFRESULTS&CmCatId=70656|71640

Part of the leadership classes that new leaders have to go through includes a class on dressing professionally. It was an excellent class (almost a What not to Wear session) and I learned some important things:
~Wear clothes that are the size you are TODAY. Gaps in shirts and super-tight pants are never appropriate, nor are baggy clothes.
~Buy CLASSIC and you won't have to buy as much or as often.
~Spend as much as you can afford on fewer pieces for quality.
~Shop outlets or sales.
~NEVER wear pants that are too long. Get them hemmed immediately (I go to a place by the FL Mall that does it for $5 while you wait).
~Watch skirt hemlines. Right at the knee or just below it are most appropriate. Try to have sleeves and hems end at the narrowest point of the leg/arm.

Black dress pants are fine. I would avoid khakis and Dockers as those have to be pressed with a seam and appear "professionally laundered". I generally wear a blouse of some kind, most of the men I work with wear dress shirts. I do tend to layer, esp now that it's hot, so I will wear a sleeveless blouse (at least a 3" strap) and a sweater or shrug over it. If I get too hot, I'm still "Disney Look" without the sweater.

Skirts and dresses are better off not being too colorful or patterned. Thsi would be appropriate: http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx...94936940&Nao=0&PSO=0&CmCatId=70656|80145&sa=1

This would not be so much: http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx...94936940&Nao=0&PSO=0&CmCatId=70656|80145&sa=1

JCPenney generally has some kind of sale going on a pant or skirted suit, which I think is always a smart investment, esp for interviews or meet & greets. You can't go wrong with this:http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx...&N=4294932402&Nao=0&PSO=0&CmCatId=82709|82775

Example of a Disney Look top:http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx...294932399+550&Nao=0&PSO=0&CmCatId=82709|82718

I like these pants, they are very comfortable, wash, and pop over a hanger to dry, last forever:http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx...&cmAMS_Z=XGN3TOPOFRESULTS&CmCatId=70656|71640

Part of the leadership classes that new leaders have to go through includes a class on dressing professionally. It was an excellent class (almost a What not to Wear session) and I learned some important things:
~Wear clothes that are the size you are TODAY. Gaps in shirts and super-tight pants are never appropriate, nor are baggy clothes.
~Buy CLASSIC and you won't have to buy as much or as often.
~Spend as much as you can afford on fewer pieces for quality.
~Shop outlets or sales.
~NEVER wear pants that are too long. Get them hemmed immediately (I go to a place by the FL Mall that does it for $5 while you wait).
~Watch skirt hemlines. Right at the knee or just below it are most appropriate. Try to have sleeves and hems end at the narrowest point of the leg/arm.

Thank you so much!

does anyone have any advice for the web interview?

Just relax while you're taking it and make sure you read every question carefully so you can be consistent with your answers. You're going to be asked the same questions a couple times but phrased differently so you want to make sure you answer the same way. Like if first you're asked "I am never late" and put Strongly Agree and then later you're asked "I am always on time", make sure you put Strongly Agree again. And also try to avoid putting neutral as often as you can. :)

So I know CPs don't get paid that much but is it possibly to come away with money at the end of the program? I'm QSFB so will be making $7.56/hour and I'd really like to actually make money. What are some tips to save money while on the program?

So I know CPs don't get paid that much but is it possibly to come away with money at the end of the program? I'm QSFB so will be making $7.56/hour and I'd really like to actually make money. What are some tips to save money while on the program?

Cook/pack your own food. Avoid convenience foods as much as possible. A package of chicken breast can be a dinner meal (whole breast), and lunches (cubed on some shredded lettuce w/ a little cheese or shredded into a chicken salad for a sandwich). Cooking ahead of time will reduce last minute fast food/pizza urges. Buy a water filter and refill your own bottle rather than paying for bottled water. Most areas have filtered water coolers, so take advantage of the free water.

If you have your own car, put out a cup for gas donations when you haul people around. Make sure your tires are properly inflated. Seems simple, but I just picked up an extra 2MPG by checking/reinflating mine.

Pick up extra shifts when you can. Watch your spending on souvenirs. If you are going to be here during the holiday discount period, wait until it kicks in to buy stuff you want, if possible. Ask for a CM discount. Many places offer one, but don't make it common knowledge. Some locations will have it while others won't so learn where those are.

Cook/pack your own food. Avoid convenience foods as much as possible. A package of chicken breast can be a dinner meal (whole breast), and lunches (cubed on some shredded lettuce w/ a little cheese or shredded into a chicken salad for a sandwich). Cooking ahead of time will reduce last minute fast food/pizza urges. Buy a water filter and refill your own bottle rather than paying for bottled water. Most areas have filtered water coolers, so take advantage of the free water.

If you have your own car, put out a cup for gas donations when you haul people around. Make sure your tires are properly inflated. Seems simple, but I just picked up an extra 2MPG by checking/reinflating mine.

Pick up extra shifts when you can. Watch your spending on souvenirs. If you are going to be here during the holiday discount period, wait until it kicks in to buy stuff you want, if possible. Ask for a CM discount. Many places offer one, but don't make it common knowledge. Some locations will have it while others won't so learn where those are.
Thank you so much! I won't have a car down there so I guess I'll save money not having to get gas and whatnot. :laughing: And I definitely plan on cooking as often as I can. I love Disney food but it'll get expensive and old really fast.

I thought of another thing, if you really want Disney food, go to the Poly or AKL for the ambiance plus CMs get 20% off at resort quick service (subject to blockout dates). CBR has a yummy Cuban sandwich and you can see a lot of Illuminations from there.

Watch how much money you spend on food, don't eat out all the time. Also, wait for the holiday discount to start before buying lots of Disney merchandise as souvenirs for yourself, family, and friends! Also, you can pick up extra shifts in your area.

Just relax while you're taking it and make sure you read every question carefully so you can be consistent with your answers. You're going to be asked the same questions a couple times but phrased differently so you want to make sure you answer the same way. Like if first you're asked "I am never late" and put Strongly Agree and then later you're asked "I am always on time", make sure you put Strongly Agree again. And also try to avoid putting neutral as often as you can. :)

Thanks for the advice! I applied last semester and didn't pass the web interview, and I think it's because I answered neutral on too many questions. It prompted me at the end of my interview that I could reapply on August 16th, but I'm freaking out because I don't want to mess up the web interview again! Are you on the college program now?

Thanks for the advice! I applied last semester and didn't pass the web interview, and I think it's because I answered neutral on too many questions. It prompted me at the end of my interview that I could reapply on August 16th, but I'm freaking out because I don't want to mess up the web interview again! Are you on the college program now?

No problem! I applied for spring 2011 and didn't pass the web interview so I know how you feel! But at least you'll probably be able to apply the day applications go up because it's late August. I had to wait a month after they went up and it toooooorture. :laughing: Hopefully the second try will work out better for you just like it did for me! And no, I'm going down next month!

No problem! I applied for spring 2011 and didn't pass the web interview so I know how you feel! But at least you'll probably be able to apply the day applications go up because it's late August. I had to wait a month after they went up and it toooooorture. :laughing: Hopefully the second try will work out better for you just like it did for me! And no, I'm going down next month!

How excited are you?? What is your role? How long are you staying for?

I know haha I'm applying the second I can and doing the e-presentation because I've already seen two campus ones! I can't wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter