College Program Questions Thread, Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize if this has been asked a dozen times, but there are now almost 200 pages of questions and answers and I couldn't look through them all! hahah. :P I was accepted for the 2011 Spring WDWCP, however I did not accept the role because there was a death in the family, and issues with school. It was all just too much. :( But I still want to do the program sooo badly! I can't wait to apply again. I'm just debating whether I should apply for the Spring progam or the Fall.. Can I hear some pros and cons?

Being from Michigan, I would love to get away from January-May because thats when we have our worst weather here anyways, so I can get away from all of the snow during the spring term.. also, I wont have to miss my family during the holidays that take place in Fall! Howeverrr, I also hear that the holidays at Disney are the funnest time of year, and the weather is the best in the fall season (not too hot not to cold). And I want to apply as soon as possible so I can do the program because I'm so excited about it! and Fall is first to apply for.. :}

Thanks for all who reply! :o)

I apologize if this has been asked a dozen times, but there are now almost 200 pages of questions and answers and I couldn't look through them all! hahah. :P I was accepted for the 2011 Spring WDWCP, however I did not accept the role because there was a death in the family, and issues with school. It was all just too much. :( But I still want to do the program sooo badly! I can't wait to apply again. I'm just debating whether I should apply for the Spring progam or the Fall.. Can I hear some pros and cons?

Being from Michigan, I would love to get away from January-May because thats when we have our worst weather here anyways, so I can get away from all of the snow during the spring term.. also, I wont have to miss my family during the holidays that take place in Fall! Howeverrr, I also hear that the holidays at Disney are the funnest time of year, and the weather is the best in the fall season (not too hot not to cold). And I want to apply as soon as possible so I can do the program because I'm so excited about it! and Fall is first to apply for.. :}

I am in the same situation as you, except that I was accepted for Fall 2010, and did not wind up going, however, I am leaving in 17 days for Spring 2011.:yay: This is my spin on things: If you go during fall, you will likely see some amazing things during the holidays. I am sorry I missed out. However, if you go in the spring, you begin your summer early (at least that is how I look at it). You might be more homesick during the holidays, but you will likely be very busy! A final, maybe more important note: as there is no guarantee that you will get accepted twice in a row, in the unfortunate event that you apply this coming fall for the following spring and do not get accepted, you are then looking at Fall 2012 as the earliest possible start date. Just a thought to keep in mind.

I know we're supposed to bring combination locks for the lockers in our apartments, but do the work location lockers have built in locks or do we need a second combo lock?

It's between 50 and 70 degrees in January in Orlando but since Orlando is super swamp humid and therefore more humid than the rest of the east coast does this affect certain fabrics? What I mean to say is humidity generally makes you sweat regardless of how hot you really are so if it's cold and super humid do you sweat more and are more uncomfortable in this whether while wearing some material like fleece than you are while wearing a material like thick cotton? Does the material not matter because regardless of humidity level the cold is going to feel the same? I doubt this since dry climate warm tends to be less hot than humid climate warm.

I know we're supposed to bring combination locks for the lockers in our apartments, but do the work location lockers have built in locks or do we need a second combo lock?

I believe most (if not all) of work lockers will have a built-in lock

This is just me, but I prefer being at WDW for the Fall program. It's wonderful being at Disney for the holidays.

I'm from Michigan too! I'm doing the spring 2011 program but I had a really hard time deciding between fall and spring. The fall program has the advantage of being during some major holidays disney plays up (halloween, christmas, new years) so you get to see all the fun festive stuff they do for each holiday, no to mention the epcot food and wine festival happens during the fall program. You also get a greater discount during the holiday season. I think the big deterrent for fall, however, is being away from family for the holidays. I know I certainly could not do that to my family, but spending the holidays at disney is probably SO much fun. Another thing to consider is your school. It might be easier for you to do one program versus the other based on your school's schedule.

It's between 50 and 70 degrees in January in Orlando but since Orlando is super swamp humid and therefore more humid than the rest of the east coast does this affect certain fabrics? What I mean to say is humidity generally makes you sweat regardless of how hot you really are so if it's cold and super humid do you sweat more and are more uncomfortable in this whether while wearing some material like fleece than you are while wearing a material like thick cotton? Does the material not matter because regardless of humidity level the cold is going to feel the same? I doubt this since dry climate warm tends to be less hot than humid climate warm.

As a native Floridian your question did make me laugh a little.
When its cold, its usually dry unless its early in the morning when it is kinda humid. The humidity actually justs makes the air feel even colder than it is, don't worry about sweating, you'll just be happy when the sun is out and you can stand in its warmth.

As for the summer, not matter the humidity level or what you may be wearing (though any poly materials suck) you are going to melt. And no the rain does not cool things off unless you're near large bodies of water (i.e. seven seas lagoon or the world show case lagoon).

A lot of northerners tend to find the summer months hell, I happen to like them, but I think that's just because its what I'm used too. These winters we're having where the temps go down to 50 are killing me. TOO COLD!!!

I haven't posted here in so long but applications go up soon for fall 2011 and I'm freaking out. I failed the web interview for spring so now I'm even more nervous to apply again.:( I'm just wondering, when it comes to getting the phone interview, is it based solely on the web interview or your application in general? Because I can't remember exactly what they say but there are boxes on the application that ask about hobbies, skills, etc. or something like that. How important is what you put in there? Is there anything you'd recommend putting in those boxes?:laughing:

As a native Floridian your question did make me laugh a little.
When its cold, its usually dry unless its early in the morning when it is kinda humid. The humidity actually justs makes the air feel even colder than it is, don't worry about sweating, you'll just be happy when the sun is out and you can stand in its warmth.

As for the summer, not matter the humidity level or what you may be wearing (though any poly materials suck) you are going to melt. And no the rain does not cool things off unless you're near large bodies of water (i.e. seven seas lagoon or the world show case lagoon).

A lot of northerners tend to find the summer months hell, I happen to like them, but I think that's just because its what I'm used too. These winters we're having where the temps go down to 50 are killing me. TOO COLD!!!

Ok, thanks! :goodvibes Winter is dry, that is what I like to hear. I am from the DC area so I'm used to humidity but every time I've been to Orlando (all 5 times) it's been either summer or early fall so I'm always sweating to death thanks to the extra humidity and heat. Mickey Mouse Ponchos keep you dry but I think they make you sweat and want those $3.50 bottles of water even more. I also see that I spelled weather wrong.

I'm not acclimated after 2 years yet. I work 3rd shift so tend to be out in the chilliest weather and can tell you I have "glistened" even at 27 degrees. The humidity is sometimes very heavy, even in the cold and I've been known to go out in just my suit jacket b/c of the moisture. It's a dampness that just clings. I am much more comfortable on a cold, dry night and am pleased as punch to wear my "winter" coat (folks in Ohio would :lmao: at my "winter" coat). Humidity is icky no matter the season.

And in the summer, well, it's summer in Florida. Never underestimate the power of fresh underwear. Just sayin'.

I'm not acclimated after 2 years yet. I work 3rd shift so tend to be out in the chilliest weather and can tell you I have "glistened" even at 27 degrees. The humidity is sometimes very heavy, even in the cold and I've been known to go out in just my suit jacket b/c of the moisture. It's a dampness that just clings. I am much more comfortable on a cold, dry night and am pleased as punch to wear my "winter" coat (folks in Ohio would :lmao: at my "winter" coat). Humidity is icky no matter the season.

And in the summer, well, it's summer in Florida. Never underestimate the power of fresh underwear. Just sayin'.

Ah, man! I feel like I've just glimpsed into the future and it's unpleasantly wet. I thought I'd be safe in winter and for some of spring. So no fleece, and carrying around a fresh change of clothes are very good ideas? Is layering thin-ish clothes instead of just wearing thick ones a good idea or is it essentially the same thing?

I haven't posted here in so long but applications go up soon for fall 2011 and I'm freaking out. I failed the web interview for spring so now I'm even more nervous to apply again.:( I'm just wondering, when it comes to getting the phone interview, is it based solely on the web interview or your application in general? Because I can't remember exactly what they say but there are boxes on the application that ask about hobbies, skills, etc. or something like that. How important is what you put in there? Is there anything you'd recommend putting in those boxes?:laughing:

I dont recall my phone interview consisting of anything to do with what was in my application like hobbies and such.. no specifics, anyways. I dont think the interviewers have time to look into all of that stuff for the thousandssss of applicants. :surfweb: hahha. :P my phone interview mostly asked about my top 3 role choices, asking if i'd take roles OUTSIDE of those 3 choices, my experience in those roles, about my personality, why i want to do the program, those types of things. OH! they also ask about how you would handle certain living situations with your roommates. i dont recall many hobby questions. just things that apply to the college program such as living with other college students, and working for them in a certain role. :o) hope i helped! good luck!:lovestruc:thumbsup2

Ah, man! I feel like I've just glimpsed into the future and it's unpleasantly wet. I thought I'd be safe in winter and for some of spring. So no fleece, and carrying around a fresh change of clothes are very good ideas? Is layering thin-ish clothes instead of just wearing thick ones a good idea or is it essentially the same thing?

I think layering is always a good call. I often layer a tank with a blouse then my suit jacket. I can always switch out to my winter coat if it's chilly or add the coat if it's really cold (we seem to get it in snaps, 2-4 days at a time, then it's back to 75). One thing I learned during my CP (from my DDs who did the program before me) was to wear a cotton tank top under my costume. It seems counterintuitive in the summer, but that tank absorbed most of the sweat and let it evaporate. It really was much more comfortable.

As far as extra clothes, most of the CPs I knew kept a change of street clothes in their bags to make it easier to go straight to the fun. One packing tip for clothes as well as costumes: ROLL. Fold the clothes lengthwise in half and smooth out the wrinkles then roll into a tight bundle before putting them in your bag. It reduces wrinkles quite a bit.

Thanks graygables!

I seriously doubt that Disney always has a perfectly dividable (fits into all the available rooms perfectly) number of people showing up for the program, and I know that people change apartments regularly so does anyone know what the chances are of getting a unit that's not full? As in a three bedroom that only has 5 people or a 2 bdrm with 3 people or a 1 bedroom with 1 person.

I was in a 4 bedroom at chatham and we only started with 7 people. about 3 different people came in and out filling that 8th bed but at the end, we only had 7 people as well. and the 7th person was never, ever home. so we pretty much had a 4 bedroom apartment for 6 people

i want to be a photographer at disney or a disney chacter since i was younger... and i thought it would be a good idea if i got into the college progam but there isnt one near me for disney and im only a jouiner in highschool

Hey, so I was in the Fall Advantage that just got done, but I had to leave the program early because my dad had a massive heart attack back home and I felt I needed to come back to be with him. He has since recovered but I was wondering if anyone knew if I had any chance of going back to WDW and getting a job after leaving the program early. I loved my job and only left the program for this family emergency.

Does everyone have to take the web based interview? Or do people go straight to live interviews?

Unless you are a current cast member (IE: seasonal) you have to take the web interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter