College Program Questions Thread, Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question that I hope isn't taken badly by anyone here. When you start working for Disney, in the parks and such, that is, does any of it lose its magic? I work at a movie theater, and I've lost almost ALL desire to go the movies anymore. I still want to work for disney, regardless, but I wanted to know. Thanks!

It hasn't for me. In fact, since I started working at Disney 6 years ago, the magic has become even stronger. I love seeing how everything works here.

I was also interested in hearing what peoples favorite roles to work as were! I personally don't want to do Quick Service food, because I do that already at the movies. Any comments? :D

It will really depend on the person. But for me- I've done 5 different roles. And my favorites (and also the ones I'm still proficient in) have been character attendant and attractions. I'm fulltime in attractions, and still pick up shifts for character attendant.

in the parks, do they provide cast members with lockers? Also, for those that bring lunch/dinner from home, do they have a microwave in the break rooms/cafeterias?

It varies by location. Some places have a main locker area (like Magic Kingdom and Epcot). Others have limited lockers in each location (like there is at my ride).

And yes, there are microwaves in the break areas

It will really depend on the person. But for me- I've done 5 different roles. And my favorites (and also the ones I'm still proficient in) have been character attendant and attractions. I'm fulltime in attractions, and still pick up shifts for character attendant.

How do you pick up shifts in something you're not fulltime for? Does the record that holds your points and reprimands list what you've been trained in?

How do you pick up shifts in something you're not fulltime for? Does the record that holds your points and reprimands list what you've been trained in?

Yes. Once you're trained in a position, you can generally pick up shifts there even if you're not statused.

For example, I'm officially statused to Park Operations, but I've been with Disney long enough that I can pick up shifts in Merchandise, F&B and a bunch of other areas.

It doesn't apply to first-time DI&P Participants, who will generally only be trained in one or maybe two areas over the course of their experiences.

Thank you glendalais. Being able to pick up shifts in so many different roles sounds fun and kind of convenient! :upsidedow

So they keep a record of what you can work at? How often is it that you could possibly get trained in a different job if you wanted?

This is probably a dumb question, but my philosophy is that it never hurts to ask...I have been through my fair share of interviews and even conducted interviews myself. When I do them I like to have some humor in there, not a lot but just enough to relieve some nervous tension. :lmao:

In this case, for those who have been through the phone interview and got accepted, would you say it is ok to laugh or tell a funny story related to a question? I am not saying every question be funny, but I was going in and out of the discussions here and saw that some people shared laughs with the recruiters.

Thanks!

This is probably a dumb question, but my philosophy is that it never hurts to ask...I have been through my fair share of interviews and even conducted interviews myself. When I do them I like to have some humor in there, not a lot but just enough to relieve some nervous tension. :lmao:

In this case, for those who have been through the phone interview and got accepted, would you say it is ok to laugh or tell a funny story related to a question? I am not saying every question be funny, but I was going in and out of the discussions here and saw that some people shared laughs with the recruiters.

Thanks!

Absolutely! The girl who interviewed me was awesome and we were laughing and telling funny stories. I'd say don't just toss a joke out there but there are quiet moments when the person who interviews you will be taking notes and in those pauses we found some common ground to laugh over.

Thanks!

I'd say so. I mean, the most magical place on earth, it can't be bad to be a little lighthearted and playful. I suppose as long as you aren't trying to do a stand up special over the phone, you'd be fine.

Thanks!

Not a dumb question whatsoever! I have interviewed twice, and been accepted twice (although I had to decline the first time around). Interviewing with two different recruiters gave me a sense of personality differences between the two, but I can tell you that I definitely laughed and engaged in light-hearted conversation with both. Don't forget, Disney is all about interaction with the public, so my personal opinion is that they would most likely take into account how you answer the interview questions, but also the manner in which you conduct your answers as well, for after all, you will be representing the company through your interactions with their guests. Just be yourself, and your inner magic will do the talking!:)

Thanks!

Definitely! Your interviewer doesn't want to intimidate you, and doing things like that shows off your personality! I know when I had my interview I told stories, she told stories, and we shared a couple of laughs. In fact, some of the questions require you to kind of tell a story.

Thank you glendalais. Being able to pick up shifts in so many different roles sounds fun and kind of convenient! :upsidedow

It is. It keeps things interesting

So they keep a record of what you can work at? How often is it that you could possibly get trained in a different job if you wanted?

It really wouldn't work for CPs (as they aren't there long enough), unless you do more then one CP and keep your status in a role. But for FTs, you can transfer after 6 months. So that would be one way to learn more then one role.

question regarding roommates...can't remember for sure...we know you have to have the same arrival date, but does the exit date have to be the same also? Thanks.

question regarding roommates...can't remember for sure...we know you have to have the same arrival date, but does the exit date have to be the same also? Thanks.

yea, they're supposed to be but i had a friend who was put with 3 roommates who were all spring program and she was spring advantage so she had to move after they left in may

How do you request a roommate?

log into your account on the CP website and go to the "housing tab". that page will link you to roommate matching (where you can be matched or reserve a roommate you picked out yourself). I was told, however, that if it 2 weeks before your arrival date you will no longer be able to take advantage of the roomie matching.

I have a few more questions regarding check in day. I posted them on a FB group but you guys tend to answer more thoroughly :)

my mom is going to be with me on check in day. So when you actually check in they have a tent for the parents. Where do we go from check in? Do we take a bus directly from vista to casting or is there some kind of in between time? Will our parents be able to get into our apartments while we are at casting?

I have a few more questions regarding check in day. I posted them on a FB group but you guys tend to answer more thoroughly :)

my mom is going to be with me on check in day. So when you actually check in they have a tent for the parents. Where do we go from check in? Do we take a bus directly from vista to casting or is there some kind of in between time? Will our parents be able to get into our apartments while we are at casting?

Everything for check in day is at vista so you don't have to go to casting. Also you would want to be there early because they might let some people in earlier or not (it depends how many people are there before it starts). When I did my CP a couple of years ago I was there about 30 minutes early and there was a good line started up. Also being there early is good also since you would likely get the apartment and room size you want also. Yes your parents can come into your apartment (without signing them in) on your first day (check-in) to help you get settled in. Otherwise you would have to sign your parents in after the sign in day. Hope this helps you out!

Everything for check in day is at vista so you don't have to go to casting. Also you would want to be there early because they might let some people in earlier or not (it depends how many people are there before it starts). When I did my CP a couple of years ago I was there about 30 minutes early and there was a good line started up. Also being there early is good also since you would likely get the apartment and room size you want also. Yes your parents can come into your apartment (without signing them in) on your first day (check-in) to help you get settled in. Otherwise you would have to sign your parents in after the sign in day. Hope this helps you out!

Recent changes to the Florida-Site DI&P arrival process now means that the Casting processes previously done after check-in day are now done on check-in day.

When you check-in, a Cast Member will inform you of the time that you would report to the bus that will take you to the Casting Centre. Depending on availability, this time may be immediately after check-in, or several hours later.

Recent changes to the Florida-Site DI&P arrival process now means that the Casting processes previously done after check-in day are now done on check-in day.

When you check-in, a Cast Member will inform you of the time that you would report to the bus that will take you to the Casting Centre. Depending on availability, this time may be immediately after check-in, or several hours later.

So if you are to go to casting right after check-in, what do with your luggage? I'm guessing you leave it at vista where they have the people watching it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter