College Program Questions Thread, Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on the park.

For Magic Kingdom, yes, you have to take a bus to get to the park.

For Epcot and DHS nope, pretty close to the Cast Building (but may be a walk to your actual work location).

For DAK, it really depends on where you work. That park is physically the biggest, so if you work towards the front your walk will be much shorter!

okay, thanks!

How about the drive from chatham/patterson to the parks? About how long does it take on an average day?

EEYORE :];39373418 said:
Do ya'll prefer to drive yourselves or use the transportation provided?

When I was a CP, I always took the buses (because I had no car). But it could be a pain at times. So if you are able to, bring the car

I have my car here and I always drive. I'm at Epcot so I bring home co-workers all the time at close so they're not flighting ICPs trying to get the bus.

EEYORE :];39373418 said:
Do ya'll prefer to drive yourselves or use the transportation provided?

It depended. My first program I drove all the time, mainly because I worked in the Magic Kingdom and didn't want to be forced to stand or be stuck in a huge crowd as the drivers put as many people on the bus as possible. Which often meant two lines of people down the middle aisle. My second program I was in Animal Kingdom and didn't have to worry about getting a seat. I would just drive if I planned on going to another park after work so that I could just leave what I didn't want to take to the next park in my car.

hey guys... just out of curiosty... i was a cast member in 2010 during the summer, and i still have maingates left. is it possible for me to use maingates on myself during vacation even though i'm no longer a cast member? i still have the card and available maingates (like, 4)

hey guys... just out of curiosty... i was a cast member in 2010 during the summer, and i still have maingates left. is it possible for me to use maingates on myself during vacation even though i'm no longer a cast member? i still have the card and available maingates (like, 4)

No. Main Entrance Passes are a benefit you get while working for the Company and can't be used once you are no longer in it's employ.

Indeed, the Main Entrance Pass is considered the property of the company, and were supposed to be turned in with your other company property upon your departure.

Not to mention that all 2010 Main Entrance Pass usages expired on 31 December 2010.

It depended. My first program I drove all the time, mainly because I worked in the Magic Kingdom and didn't want to be forced to stand or be stuck in a huge crowd as the drivers put as many people on the bus as possible. Which often meant two lines of people down the middle aisle. My second program I was in Animal Kingdom and didn't have to worry about getting a seat. I would just drive if I planned on going to another park after work so that I could just leave what I didn't want to take to the next park in my car.

When I was a CP, I always took the buses (because I had no car). But it could be a pain at times. So if you are able to, bring the car

I have my car here and I always drive. I'm at Epcot so I bring home co-workers all the time at close so they're not flighting ICPs trying to get the bus.

okay thanks everyone! car = definitely

That was so nice of you! I obviously wasn't one of those people you drove but especially since I am also not taking a car I thank you for helping those who would have been squished on the bus. :)

I have a question that I hope isn't taken badly by anyone here. When you start working for Disney, in the parks and such, that is, does any of it lose its magic? I work at a movie theater, and I've lost almost ALL desire to go the movies anymore. I still want to work for disney, regardless, but I wanted to know. Thanks!

I was also interested in hearing what peoples favorite roles to work as were! I personally don't want to do Quick Service food, because I do that already at the movies. Any comments? :D

in the parks, do they provide cast members with lockers? Also, for those that bring lunch/dinner from home, do they have a microwave in the break rooms/cafeterias?

to mickeymouse98- if anything, the parks seemed more magical to me. you create some of the most amazing memories with great people and once you're apart of making that magic, it means so much more to you--in my experience anyway. but everyone is different. all of my friends that i made down there miss the magic like crazy and are now disney freaks....myself included :)
my role was attractions, i worked in fantasyland and LOVED it. so, so much. i had a friend in entertainment, a bunch in quick service, a bunch in custodial and a few in merchandise. it all depends on the person. almost everyone i knew loved their job but a lot of people said they wouldve liked to have done attractions. i dont think i'd like to work anywhere else but i'm extremely bias haha :)

cuethemusic- at the magic kingdom, we were provided lockers. i think at epcot they have them too. i'm not sure about the other parks. and at the backstage cafeterias there are lots of microwaves and even in some of the break rooms! our area had a fridge too but it just depends on your exact location

I'm at Epcot and have three locations I work (Main Entrance turnstiles, International gateway turnstiles and Auto Plaza). I have a locker at ME and in the Cast Service building. There aren't lockers available for us at IG (although I think those CPs who are merchandice in that location can get them) and there are only a small number of permanent ones at AP. However, AP is a small group up there so leaving my bag was never an issue

to mickeymouse98- if anything, the parks seemed more magical to me. you create some of the most amazing memories with great people and once you're apart of making that magic, it means so much more to you--in my experience anyway. but everyone is different. all of my friends that i made down there miss the magic like crazy and are now disney freaks....myself included :)
my role was attractions, i worked in fantasyland and LOVED it. so, so much. i had a friend in entertainment, a bunch in quick service, a bunch in custodial and a few in merchandise. it all depends on the person. almost everyone i knew loved their job but a lot of people said they wouldve liked to have done attractions. i dont think i'd like to work anywhere else but i'm extremely bias haha :)

That's GREAT. :D I really don't want to do quick service. Fast food makes me sick. But I'd take anything I can get. Entertainment, Merchandise, Attractions, Sit Down Meals. Those are my top picks. :D

I have a question that I hope isn't taken badly by anyone here. When you start working for Disney, in the parks and such, that is, does any of it lose its magic? I work at a movie theater, and I've lost almost ALL desire to go the movies anymore. I still want to work for disney, regardless, but I wanted to know. Thanks!

Its been a few years since my time as a CP but in NO WAY has the magic of Disney been spoiled for me or my other CP friends. Matter of fact it has made the experience even more amazing knowing now just how hard it is to run a business like Disney and just how dedicated the cast members are.

Now going back to the parks as a guest you see the little things that the regular guests miss and every now and again you let the current CMs know just how great of a job they're doing because you already know just how hard a job it is!

I worked in Entertainment and at first I was amazed at all the secrets and little things you learn along the way that truly do "ruin the magic" but then you start seeing that yeah while you know all the secrets, think of all the people who don't, and it makes you smile because you appreciate more.

Its actually something kinda hard to explain, and for a good 2 years I was having a hard time explaining it to my boyfriend (who loves Disney as much as I do) but now he works there full time and knows exactly what I was trying to tell him.

You feel a closer connection to everything you love, and no matter how long its been since you're last shift or last time in the park, you will always feel just that in awe of everything.

That is...unless your program sucked and you just hate it all now:laughing:

How hard would you say it is to get into the College Program? I may start another thread for this just to get it out there more. I'm trying to build a plan based around going to this program, but I don't want to put ALL my eggs in one basket if it's really difficult to get into the program. I'd like to have a couple backup plans. I mean, there would always be a second chance, but just in case. How many people get accepted? How fast do they send you back replies? Does anyone know about how many people get rejected per term? Sorry if this is way too much, just curious. :P

How hard would you say it is to get into the College Program?
Depends on which of the jobs you apply for with Entertainment being the hardest due to the Audition.

How many people get accepted? How fast do they send you back replies? Does anyone know about how many people get rejected per term? Sorry if this is way too much, just curious. :P

I'm not too sure on the numbers. You're best contacting the college recruiter or one of the campus representatives, they might have a little bit more info on that.

When I applied, I applied in the fall, it was the beginning of October, I had my interview and then waited and waited and waited with no answer until I got a letter in the mail telling me that my audition for Entertainment was in November, even though I had put down that I would like to work attractions (I'm a music major and have strong theater background, which is what I told the interviewer)
Once there, after everyone auditioned they let you know right away if you got it or not. I was offered the Spring Advantage contract and took it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter