College Program Questions Thread Pt 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joanna,

Hey!! I had a few questions for you about some of the discounts. We had an early xmas tonight with my extended family and my cousin and her husband want to bring their 3 girls down to disney in Feb when I am there. She said they want to come Presidents Day weekend bc the oldest cousin is in 6th grade and they don't want to pull her out for a ton of days. So she was asking me questions and I said I would ask you cuz I'm not sure lol.

1. Do we get discounts off of the cruise bc they want to do land/sea?

2. Will I get a discount for their room or is Presidents Day a black-out date? (They usually stay at Deluxe, maybe a mod, NOT value)

3. If I can book them a room, how soon can I do it? Can I do it on Day 1 of check in or do I have to wait until after traditions?

4. She wants to take the two youngest girls to BBB (ages 5 and 3) and wants to request me, are you allowed to do that? She said she will wait to book it until I start working and hopefully she can get a ressie.

For them really, money is no object kinda thing but she said she would LOVE to take the girls down so they can see me and they LOVE the disney cruise. I know its a tough situation with the oldest DD in grade school and the other 2 are so much younger. I'm sure if I can't get them a discount they will prolly still come but its better w/one!!

Thanks as always! Have a GREAT Christmas!!

Magic Kingdom: February 16 - 17, March 14 - 28, July 3 - August 1, November 27 - 29, December 24 - 31

- Epcot: March 18 - 25, December 24 - 31

- Disney's Hollywood Studios: March 18 - 19, 24 - 26, July 3 - 5, November 10, 28 - 29, December 26 - 31

- Disney's Animal Kingdom: February 17 - 18, March 17 - 27, November 28, December 26 - 30

Those are the dates you cant get guests into the parkd for free...so I assume you at least cant get the regular discount on the hotels and food for those dates as well

Thanks Joanna and Canadaboy!!!

I will have to let her know that asap. I guess if she wants the cruise they will have to pay for it w/o the discount and as far as the hotel goes, I will have to tell her it will be a wait and see type of thing after I'm done with traditions. Thanks again!!

Thanks Joanna and Canadaboy!!!

I will have to let her know that asap. I guess if she wants the cruise they will have to pay for it w/o the discount and as far as the hotel goes, I will have to tell her it will be a wait and see type of thing after I'm done with traditions. Thanks again!!

No problem! once you get there and get your Portal ID, you can call the hotels and ask what kind of discount, if any, you can get for that weekend

I think my DD would love to do this...but before I suggest it to her, I have a couple of questions?

Does it cost you money to do the program? Do you take a semester off from school? If you have student loans , don't they become due?

Thanks, Carol

I think my DD would love to do this...but before I suggest it to her, I have a couple of questions?

Does it cost you money to do the program? Do you take a semester off from school? If you have student loans , don't they become due?

Thanks, Carol

The only money you have to pay them is a $75 housing deposit...the rest of the rent is taken out of your paycheck, and it can be anywhere from about $70-90 per week, but you dont have to worry about actually making payments...other than that its just food and a plane ticket, possibly

You do take a semester off school...getting credit and/or maintaing full-time status at the school is something you have to work out with your school, cause every one has different policies

I dont know about loans, cause I dont have any, but I know with my scholarship it can be put on hold til I get back...however, since loans arent given out by the school itself, I dont know how that works

Thanks, Carol

Nope. You just have to pay a fee. After that, you will be earning money. Quite nice if you ask me. :teeth:

Yes. The shortest length is a semester. The longer program is a semester plus the summer. Sorry I can't help about loans, as I don't have any.

Thanks, Carol

When it comes to the loans your DD could be enrolled in school if she takes this as an internship and takes classes through Disney while there that is if the school approves it varies from school to school have to check with the school. I personally had a blast on my CP. I did the semester and a half program meet many people I still talk to quiet often. A lot of good information can be accessed at http://www.wdwcollegeprogram.com

When it comes to loans you can ask your school about it. At some schools you can sign papers that will defer any scholorships, loans, or any other forms of money (such as Govenment money) to the next semester and sign you up in a database to where you are still a student there but not there for the semester. That is what I had to do for my Government money, which is like a loan that I do not have to pay back, and I had no problems.

Thanks, Carol
this hasn't been mentioned but you can also do the program up to a semester after graduation. I just finished my student teaching a week ago but when I applied for the program I was considered a student even though I had graduated in May. My roommate who graduated with me in May had to do the fall program since she was not doing a continuing ed so that is always an option.

I like the idea of going after because I will not have to worry about being a semester behind and in my case I will be home after May 16 so it is no different than my semester schedule.

I can't help w/the loans bc I had free tuition but you might want to take into consideration about health insurance. My parents are thankfully paying for an emergency policy plan so that I'm able to be covered if I would get sick or hurt. I know others are taking online courses to keep their student status for insurance but for me being done, the classes would mean nothing.

Hope that helps!!! If you want to read more throughout the months ahead, I have a pre-trip report set up for when I leave on the 4th!!

Question about housing...I'm an adult with a family, do they have any provisions for allowing us to live "off property"? I'm going back for my Master's, want to do a PI, but have to do the CP first (as I now understand it).

Joanna,

My mom had this question for me to ask you. My grandma has not been doing well lately shes in a nursing home and its kinda just like we're waiting for her to go but hopefully I pray that she doesn't pass on while I'm in FL but what is the policy for a death in the family and what if I would have to fly home for a few days? This is a very sad subject to talk about but she was curious as to what their policy was.

I hope you had a great xmas!!

Joanna,

My mom had this question for me to ask you. My grandma has not been doing well lately shes in a nursing home and its kinda just like we're waiting for her to go but hopefully I pray that she doesn't pass on while I'm in FL but what is the policy for a death in the family and what if I would have to fly home for a few days? This is a very sad subject to talk about but she was curious as to what their policy was.

From what I remember any time there is a family emergency you are permitted to fly home and tend to things of course it depends on what type of emergency how long you are permitted to be out for., even Disney understands unfortunate things do happen.

From what I remember any time there is a family emergency you are permitted to fly home and tend to things of course it depends on what type of emergency how long you are permitted to be out for., even Disney understands unfortunate things do happen.
thanks. I pray to god that it doesn't happen but you should always be prepared for the worse I guess :(

Joanna,

My roommate from my program had this happen to her. It happened right before she started her Merchandise training. What she did was she called her work contact number, explained the situation, and they delayed her training for a few days so that she could go home.

Question about housing...I'm an adult with a family, do they have any provisions for allowing us to live "off property"? I'm going back for my Master's, want to do a PI, but have to do the CP first (as I now understand it).

Hi Dawn,

I am married and I am doing a PI in a couple of weeks. I have never done a CP - but it may depend on what area you are going into. My sister lives near Disney, so I will be staying with her (living off property). My husband is not moving to Orlando until I have a more permanent position (at Disney or elsewhere.)

For the CP, you are allowed to stay in off-site housing.

Joanna,

Hey! Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner (my computer was in the shop). I personally have not experienced it, but you are allowed to go back home and take care of things, should something happen.:hug:

I did have a great Christmas, and I hope you did too.

I have a few questions that I hope I can get answered here. Sorry if these questions have been asked already. I am a 23 year old student pursuing a Master's Degree in Social work. My bachelor's degree was in Political Science. I have prior internship experience in both fields. I will be graduating in December 2008 and want to apply for the PI program in January of 09. I have not previously worked for Disney or done other CP. My questions are: Do you have to do a CP before becoming a PI? How competitive is the PI program? Would I have to live in one of the apartment complexes (my fiancee and I would be moving to Florida if I got the internship and I would want to live with him)? Is housing outside of the Disney provided housing easy to find? My ultimate goal is to be employed full time by Disney. Do many PI's get offered full time jobs after completion of the program? Also, I am getting married in May in Wisconsin. How hard would it be to get 4 days off or so to be able to fly to Wisconsin for the ceremony? And maybe 1 or two extra days to get the license?

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to offer.

Hi everyone! A week from today I'll be moving in.....very excited!

I had a question about getting the discounts for hotels and park tickets that I'm sure some of you can shed light on.

For hotel discounts: can reservations be made for anyone? I know friends and family, but I was wondering if there are restrictions on this. I ask because I was going to see about setting up something for a few people I worked with and I don't want to get their hopes up if there are restrictions on who those benefits can actually extend to.

Any light that can be shed on that would be great. Also, for tickets (discounted, not the 3-people-6-times ones), can they just be purchased and given to the people in question, or are there restrictions on those as well?

Thanks!

I have a few questions that I hope I can get answered here. Sorry if these questions have been asked already. I am a 23 year old student pursuing a Master's Degree in Social work. My bachelor's degree was in Political Science. I have prior internship experience in both fields. I will be graduating in December 2008 and want to apply for the PI program in January of 09. I have not previously worked for Disney or done other CP. My questions are: Do you have to do a CP before becoming a PI? How competitive is the PI program? Would I have to live in one of the apartment complexes (my fiancee and I would be moving to Florida if I got the internship and I would want to live with him)? Is housing outside of the Disney provided housing easy to find? My ultimate goal is to be employed full time by Disney. Do many PI's get offered full time jobs after completion of the program? Also, I am getting married in May in Wisconsin. How hard would it be to get 4 days off or so to be able to fly to Wisconsin for the ceremony? And maybe 1 or two extra days to get the license?

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to offer.

I believe that most of the PIs require having done the CP first. The PIs have their own complex (Northbridge). However, there is not enough room for everyone so some people have to find their own housing.

Hi everyone! A week from today I'll be moving in.....very excited!

I had a question about getting the discounts for hotels and park tickets that I'm sure some of you can shed light on.

For hotel discounts: can reservations be made for anyone? I know friends and family, but I was wondering if there are restrictions on this. I ask because I was going to see about setting up something for a few people I worked with and I don't want to get their hopes up if there are restrictions on who those benefits can actually extend to.

Any light that can be shed on that would be great. Also, for tickets (discounted, not the 3-people-6-times ones), can they just be purchased and given to the people in question, or are there restrictions on those as well?

Thanks!

The discount can be used for anyone. So you can book a resort discount for friends/co workers too. As for tickets, I believe they expire after a certain amount of time, so they can't be bought too far in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter