• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

College Program Parents Thread...

I think there is a very limited number of "standard" cm discounts out there for December. By "standard" I mean 40% F&F or 50% cm-in-room. It seems the only thing readily available in December right now is AKL. What is not out there yet is the special holiday discounts. In know I have a 40% AKL rez for December but hoping for more later.

Okay...so I'm one of those confused as well. My daughter says AKL is open for the week of Dec. 5th. She says it says 50 percent off. Will that change and maybe go to 60 percent? The total is about the same as what I can get off of Expedia so I'm really confused and don't really see it as a "perk". The same goes for dates she checked for us for Oct. ....not much there and I can get rooms for about the same on Expedia. :confused3 You guys with experience, can you help out the confused ones (hopefully, I'm not the only one)?

Okay...so I'm one of those confused as well. My daughter says AKL is open for the week of Dec. 5th. She says it says 50 percent off. Will that change and maybe go to 60 percent? The total is about the same as what I can get off of Expedia so I'm really confused and don't really see it as a "perk". The same goes for dates she checked for us for Oct. ....not much there and I can get rooms for about the same on Expedia. :confused3 You guys with experience, can you help out the confused ones (hopefully, I'm not the only one)?

I can't see your screens so I don't know where your numbers are coming from but here is what I see: CM 50% discount at AKL early December standard room runs $160 a night. The same room, same dates thru Expedia is 30% is $275. (both rates quoted is for four adults)

The bad news for me is that this morning the 50% rate was available for Dec 3-10, not its not ;(

I can't see your screens so I don't know where your numbers are coming from but here is what I see: CM 50% discount at AKL early December standard room runs $160 a night. The same room, same dates thru Expedia is 30% is $275. (both rates quoted is for four adults)

The bad news for me is that this morning the 50% rate was available for Dec 3-10, not its not ;(

My daughter said for Dec. 5th until Dec. 12th, it would be $1702. She says it said 50% off but that is still averaging $243 a night (unless of course, it includes taxes and that is the total....but still far off from $160).

And now, it sounds like that may not even be available now but, there again, I was finding about the same price on Expedia so I was very confused. Thank you for your reply!

My daughter said for Dec. 5th until Dec. 12th, it would be $1702. She says it said 50% off but that is still averaging $243 a night (unless of course, it includes taxes and that is the total....but still far off from $160).

And now, it sounds like that may not even be available now but, there again, I was finding about the same price on Expedia so I was very confused. Thank you for your reply!
That price ($1702) includes taxes and fees. For example I could get 3 nights for $710. Each night was $160.50 so there are $230 in tax and fees ($76.66 per night)

Is there an "index" anywhere to look for questions already answered? My oldest is thinking CP in a couple years (she wanted to do a "gap" year between HS and college but I told her she could play and still be in school by doing CP:rotfl:)
I am an OLD alumni and good gravy have things changed!! No more face to face recruiting? (most nerve wracking interview of my LIFE) No more frameable letters stating you made it and what your assignment is? Along with the "Disney Look" handbook?

And I didn't have parents drive me down-went with then-BF now-DH-and we moved ourselves in. Course being broke college students we didn't have alot! But boy would I take advantage of having a kid in program and go with to "settle" her in lol!

Have lots of questions how "new" program works...

One thing for sure: I get asked every. single. interview. for a new job (we've moved alot) about my CP experience. You better believe it is on my resume:)

Wait, $76 tax per night? That doesn't sound right at all

That price ($1702) includes taxes and fees. For example I could get 3 nights for $710. Each night was $160.50 so there are $230 in tax and fees ($76.66 per night)

Wait, $76 tax per night? That doesn't sound right at all

Tax at AKL would be 12.5% (State of Florida Sales Tax 6% plus Orange County .5% sales tax, plus 6% hotel tax)

Therefore, on a room that was 160/night, the tax would be $20.06/night. For the 3 nights mentioned, that would be a total of $541.68.

However, if there are more than 2 adults in a room, each additional adult is an extra $25 + tax per night.

So, 4 adults in a $160.50/night room would be $160.50 + 25 + 25 = 210.50, times 1.125 = $236.81, times 3 nights would be $710.43, which seems to match the figure posted by jce2.

I didn't realize it was for four adults. I wonder if Expedia isn't taking into account the additional adults fees. That is why we aren't going to do the discount with our son staying with us. Figured the extra adult fee we would have to pay for him would cost more than the extra 10% discount.

Tax at AKL would be 12.5% (State of Florida Sales Tax 6% plus Orange County .5% sales tax, plus 6% hotel tax)

Therefore, on a room that was 160/night, the tax would be $20.06/night. For the 3 nights mentioned, that would be a total of $541.68.

However, if there are more than 2 adults in a room, each additional adult is an extra $25 + tax per night.

So, 4 adults in a $160.50/night room would be $160.50 + 25 + 25 = 210.50, times 1.125 = $236.81, times 3 nights would be $710.43, which seems to match the figure posted by jce2.

I didn't realize it was for four adults. I wonder if Expedia isn't taking into account the additional adults fees. That is why we aren't going to do the discount with our son staying with us. Figured the extra adult fee we would have to pay for him would cost more than the extra 10% discount.

To be fair, I also stated a room price of $160 but it was slightly higher for weekend days. I did notice that expedia seemed to charge only about half as much as Disney for taxes and fees. But to the original posters original quanfry it is still true that CM-in-room is cheaper than expedia

If it's any consolation, our room at Wilderness Lodge is $271 per night plus tax the week of December 20th!!! And that's with our daughter's 50% discount! We pay $121 at Shades of Green! Excited about staying in a Disney resort for the first time but hope it's worth it!

It wasn't stated, but using 4 adults and adding in the extra adult charges makes the math work. :)

Well actually, my original post did say "(both quotes are for four adults)", but regardless, to confuse matters even more...tonight we were able to change the room from a 40% discount F&F to (three in room) to a 50% discount CM-In-Room (four in room) and reduced our bill an additional $60! If my math is correct and we are able to get the 60% discount for Christmas we will save an additional $341!! Now if I could just get the airline fares to drop.....

First, I agree, the extra adults would make a difference. I have not been putting in the extra adults on Expedia so that may make up the extra $$.

On to another question though (and I'm sorry because I know black out dates have been discussed here somewhere but could not find it). BUT, we were planning on going a weekend in Oct. I asked my dd to check black out dates. I figured MK would be blacked out for Halloween weekend but I did not realize it is blacked out EVER Oct. weekend which is very upsetting because I was looking forward to MK for the Halloween party because we have never been at this time.

I'm guessing we can still buy the Halloween party ticket and just go to another park for earlier in the day?

Also, do y'all know if EPCOT is blacked out at all due to F&W festival? She said she did not see where it was. Thanks!

Black out dates and such are the reason I bought an AP! Don't have to worry about DD trying to get me in and waste her passes on me. I figure she can use them on her poor friends that come and visit lol.

So will EPCOT be ok for a Sunday then?

This is a lot of trying to figure out that I did not think it would be but still don't want to sound like I'm not thankful for the 6 visits we do get.

I would love to buy the AP's and have thought about it a lot but then I started thinking, even if I did that, it does not mean our dd will be able to go with us then because she said she understands that cast members can only go to the MK for Halloween only in Sept. Again, I don't know if she was just told that and maybe it's not true but then that would mean, for her to come with us, I would even have to get HER a pass which is crazy!

reesecup said:

This is a lot of trying to figure out that I did not think it would be but still don't want to sound like I'm not thankful for the 6 visits we do get.

I would love to buy the AP's and have thought about it a lot but then I started thinking, even if I did that, it does not mean our dd will be able to go with us then because she said she understands that cast members can only go to the MK for Halloween only in Sept. Again, I don't know if she was just told that and maybe it's not true but then that would mean, for her to come with us, I would even have to get HER a pass which is crazy!

That is only on her CM ticket price. No one gets into MNSSHP for free but cast get discounts in September. Sometimes they open up the discount as it gets closer to October though. She can always buy a regular cost ticket. Her ID will be able to get her in most days as long as the parks don't go into a phased closing.

They always have to buy a ticket to the party. They aren't blacked out from going during regular hours. I'm going to the party on September 21 with my DD and one of her DCP friends...they both had to buy a (discounted) ticket to the party.

They always have to buy a ticket to the party. They aren't blacked out from going during regular hours. I'm going to the party on September 21 with my DD and one of her DCP friends...they both had to buy a (discounted) ticket to the party.

That is only on her CM ticket price. No one gets into MNSSHP for free but cast get discounts in September. Sometimes they open up the discount as it gets closer to October though. She can always buy a regular cost ticket. Her ID will be able to get her in most days as long as the parks don't go into a phased closing.

Thank you both! We don't mind paying for the extra cost if she doesn't get a discount and she said she thought that may be what it meant. So, that is good news. I know Sat. will be the busiest for the party but it's our only option so that our son can go who is in college in Sarasota. Also, good news about them being able to get in the parks whenever for the most part! The only other thing, is we are going down Dec. 5/6. I really wanted to see the Christmas parade being taped but I think that is usually a black out date as well for MK. Does anyone know that for sure? And if anyone has ever been to it, is it worth it?

I may just splurge for the AP's for my son, husband and myself if she still gets in pretty much all the time. Sure wish our son got a discount for being a student in Florida.

Thanks again for the information. I always know I can find out by coming here!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter