College Program Parents Thread...

Well, my daughter was told on Saturday that she had to be out by midnight on Monday. Because she had to work Saturday, Sunday, and Monday (until 10 PM) that didn't give her a lot of time. She and one of her roommates are moving into one apartment and the other two are moving in with 4 other displaced residents. They have been told that they HOPE they will only have to be out for a week.

Hopefully, this will just turn out to be a minor annoyance and inconvenience, but I still think it was very poorly planned and communicated and was done without much regard for the convenience of the affected parties.

Under those circumstances, I understand your concern. It is short notice!:thumbsup2

You guys are making me a bit nervous about the rooming situation! :eek:
Like I mentioned in my post before, my dd is a freshman hoping to apply in January for the fall program. Don't know how she'd handle having to pack up her entire room full of stuff and move, especially multiple times.

If she would have to move I doubt it would be more than once. My daughter had to move when she extended and I believe that is just the way it is (annoying) and she had to move when her apartment became under numbers (only 2 left out of 6). Both times the timing was bad (week after Christmas and about a month before her program was over).

I don't think she would have not done the program over that...its just annoying and an inconvenience. I think its also unfortunate that (at lest in our experience) that housing doesn't coordinate with employment to allow for moves to be on days off.

Liz

My DD is a senior in high school and will start college next year.

She wants to do this program at Disney, so my question is, it is a difficult program to get into? Especially if you are an 'average' type student.

Just wondering how realistic it is for her to plan/hope for this experience.
thanks!

Hello everyone. I'm so glad I found this thread.

My son has been dreaming of working for Disney for years. And now he can finally apply. :cool1:

He is a freshman in Culinary Arts and is looking forward to working QS.

He submitted his College Program application today. I don't know who was more excited him or me :lmao:

Can someone tell me what the expected timeline is for the application process? When can he expect to hear something?

Thanks!

My daughter received her acceptance on Tuesday evening. Her deposit has been paid and she checks in January 16! She is so excited! We are both hopeful that this will be the first step toward her goal of working full time for the Mouse!! :cool1:

My daughter received her acceptance on Tuesday evening. Her deposit has been paid and she checks in January 16! She is so excited! We are both hopeful that this will be the first step toward her goal of working full time for the Mouse!! :cool1:

:cheer2: Congrats! It's been a blessing for our DD. She may never come home...princess:

Hello everyone. I'm so glad I found this thread.

My son has been dreaming of working for Disney for years. And now he can finally apply. :cool1:

He is a freshman in Culinary Arts and is looking forward to working QS.

He submitted his College Program application today. I don't know who was more excited him or me :lmao:

Can someone tell me what the expected timeline is for the application process? When can he expect to hear something?

Thanks!

I don't know all the details, because our DD applied on her own. I think she applied last fall, and got her confirmation in January, or February. It seemed to take forever! But once it came, time started a steam roller effect...Time flew by before she left!

She arranged roommates before their arrival, from a thread on this board for the CP's. They can chat, share their goals, and find a suitable match to live with. They met for breakfast on check-in day, for the first time, but they knew each other already from on-line. Each girl brought some portable food- one juice, one yogurt, granola bars, fruit, etc. and while they waited in line, they picnic'd. Is that a word? Good luck!:cheer2:

My daughter did the CP in Fall of 07....when I went to visit with a friend you could see she was in her element and she said she wanted to extend. Extended for Spring. Meanwhile visited UCF's Hospitality College and decided she wanted to go there (she was between Jr College and finishing). Applied, came home and took a few summer courses. Found out 14 days before school was starting she was accepted at UCF. Took her back, she applied at Disney and started part time and has worked there ever since. She just finished up in August and is now on the list to go full time. Crazy and fun.

Liz

My DD is a senior in high school and will start college next year.

She wants to do this program at Disney, so my question is, it is a difficult program to get into? Especially if you are an 'average' type student.

Just wondering how realistic it is for her to plan/hope for this experience.
thanks!

Hi! The program is competitive, but Disney does not care about grades. They are looking for enthusiastic people that they think will contribute to the company. They did not ask to see my grades when I did the program last spring.

Hi! The program is competitive, but Disney does not care about grades. They are looking for enthusiastic people that they think will contribute to the company. They did not ask to see my grades when I did the program last spring.

Wonderful! Thanks!

Congrats to your daughter!! If you don't mind my asking, when did she apply?

I don't know all the details, because our DD applied on her own. I think she applied last fall, and got her confirmation in January, or February. It seemed to take forever! But once it came, time started a steam roller effect...Time flew by before she left!

She arranged roommates before their arrival, from a thread on this board for the CP's. They can chat, share their goals, and find a suitable match to live with. They met for breakfast on check-in day, for the first time, but they knew each other already from on-line. Each girl brought some portable food- one juice, one yogurt, granola bars, fruit, etc. and while they waited in line, they picnic'd. Is that a word? Good luck!:cheer2:

Good to know. I will definitely tell him about finding a roommate before he gets there.

My daughter did the CP in Fall of 07....when I went to visit with a friend you could see she was in her element and she said she wanted to extend. Extended for Spring. Meanwhile visited UCF's Hospitality College and decided she wanted to go there (she was between Jr College and finishing). Applied, came home and took a few summer courses. Found out 14 days before school was starting she was accepted at UCF. Took her back, she applied at Disney and started part time and has worked there ever since. She just finished up in August and is now on the list to go full time. Crazy and fun.

Liz

WOW working full time for Disney! That would be my son's dream come true (well actually it would be mine :lmao: )

Congrats to your daughter!! If you don't mind my asking, when did she apply?

She applied about 3 hours after the applications went live on Labor Day. Her interview was on September 7, and she got her acceptance email September 20.

What is the deposit for? I didn't realize there was a 'cost' to the program. I thought they worked and what they made would cover the costs. So now I am confused.

What is the deposit for? I didn't realize there was a 'cost' to the program. I thought they worked and what they made would cover the costs. So now I am confused.

This year the deposit is $304. From the breakdown I saw and understand, $100 covers the Disney sponsored events during the program. The $200 is the first rent. It helps so that the kids don't have the entire amount of their first paycheck go to rent. The $200 used to not be required, but the kids were having a hard time the first few weeks with rent and all the other expenses.

She applied about 3 hours after the applications went live on Labor Day. Her interview was on September 7, and she got her acceptance email September 20.

Oh my that was FAST!!! Congrats again to your daughter!!!

This year the deposit is $304. From the breakdown I saw and understand, $100 covers the Disney sponsored events during the program. The $200 is the first rent. It helps so that the kids don't have the entire amount of their first paycheck go to rent. The $200 used to not be required, but the kids were having a hard time the first few weeks with rent and all the other expenses.

Oh OK, that makes sense. Thanks!

Hi! My daughter is applying to CP for Spring 2012. We have a home about 15 minutes northwest of MK...will she be required to live and pay rent in Disney housing? It seems kinda silly to be paying a mortgage and rent within a 15 mile radius.

My DD wants to apply and she will have a semseter off next winter so it would be gret if she made it! Are they considered a full time student while they are there?

OK. I am really ticked off and have to vent. :mad:

DS started the Spring Adv '11 in mid January and around March, a girl in the apartment upstairs (Vista) passed out drunk and knocked over the toilet (non-wellness bldg). You guessed it. Water damage to the boys' apt. They were given a couple days notice after Price Mgt decided that there was a mold problem a week after the incident. All six had to move to different apts. They all stayed in touch but it was rough moving since only one of the six had a vehicle. I heard that everything was piled on the roof on the way over to the new apt.
He learned a lot and didn't bring home a penny. They had a bad tendency to eat out instead of cook (and spent quite a bit on booze).
Over all a good experience. Now that he's graduated, I am trying to help him off my couch to find a job. I'd rather see him at the CP spending all of his $ than on my couch spending mine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter