College Program Parents Thread...

Actually, when I was still a CM and had HUB access, I still went through Dining for reservations. I usually would ask if they knew of any cast discounts for that particular restaurant and they would inform me if they had specific hours for the discount. They said to just show my ID to the server when we order. I never had an issue. When we visit now and invite my best friend to dine with us, we usually pay for the meal but she gets the cast discount applied to the entire meal. I have found that dinning is pretty good about cast discounts provided they actually offer them. Some restaurants have the discount before a certain time and some for lunch only. It varies.

Yea, it's a fairly recent change.

The old system of Blockout Dates and Blockout Times was basically tossed out the window (though there are still sometimes special Lunch-only or Breakfast-only offers floating around). It's all decided by computer now how many tables are allowed daily for CM Discounts and whatnot.

Now and days, if you don't book ADRs with Cast Discount, the restaurant is only supposed to give it if they're accepting walk-ups at the time you were seated. Otherwise they're not.

Some servers haven't been following the polices, but Food & Beverage Operations is cracking down on those Cast Members and taking steps to ensure compliance with the new system.

Has anyone had a child who had to apply to the collage program at Disneyland several times before they were accepted? My son has applied twice and they really led him to believe he would be accepted this time by telling him he was a strong canidate and sending a letter saying his acceptance was pending a final decision. But no, just another rejection letter. I am really disenchanted with the way they run the program. He could not find out the dates the program would be from, ex: Jan ? to ?? and if it would be full time. Could he be getting rejected due to the fact that he does not have any previous job experience? I thought the program was to help collage students out and give them job experience and tools to market themselves in the future. Does anyone know what is the most times someone has applied before being accepted at Disneyland? Should he not apply again? He has waited around for two rejections now, I don't know if he will have the chance again to put his life on hold to go to work at Disneyland. He needs advice and I don't know weather to encourage him trying again. HELP!:confused3

Unfortunately, operating circumstances mean that California-Site Disney Internships and Programs opportunities are very limited, numbering no more than several hundred per term.

Perhaps he would be interested in applying for DI&P opportunities in Florida at the Walt Disney World Resort, where opportunities are more numerous. Or he could also pursue a Casual Temporary position with the Disneyland Resort. This would allow him to work only during peak attendance periods, which mostly coincide with school holidays.

Information on the Florida-Site Disney College Program is available at http://www.wdwcollegeprogram.com/ while information regarding employment opportunities at the Disneyland Resort is available at http://www.disneyland.jobs/.

Has anyone had a child who had to apply to the collage program at Disneyland several times before they were accepted? My son has applied twice and they really led him to believe he would be accepted this time by telling him he was a strong canidate and sending a letter saying his acceptance was pending a final decision. But no, just another rejection letter. I am really disenchanted with the way they run the program. He could not find out the dates the program would be from, ex: Jan ? to ?? and if it would be full time. Could he be getting rejected due to the fact that he does not have any previous job experience? I thought the program was to help collage students out and give them job experience and tools to market themselves in the future. Does anyone know what is the most times someone has applied before being accepted at Disneyland? Should he not apply again? He has waited around for two rejections now, I don't know if he will have the chance again to put his life on hold to go to work at Disneyland. He needs advice and I don't know weather to encourage him trying again. HELP!:confused3

(Most of what I am saying is Disney World related, but it's pretty much the same for Disneyland, as far as I know.)

He can't find solid dates because the dates change depending on when you get accepted and when you go down (and the year). For instance, this Fall, we can go down anytime during August, and even the first day of September, but everyone goes home January 7th (with Fall Advantage going home January 3rd).

WDW is full time. It says on the WDW website that you are guaranteed 30 hours, and will get more during peak periods. That's full-time work, and I am 99.99% positive Disneyland is the same, if not the exact same hours. They wouldn't expect you to be able to live if you were doing 10 hours a week. Disneyland does make you take classes though.

ETA: Just checked the website. Disneyland says 28 hours is common during non-peak.

The program is to give Disney cheap labor, while helping out students' resumes at the same time (but the first priority is the main priority, because it still is a business).

Disneyland accepts far fewer applicants than Disney World - any chance he'd be willing to apply there? I only applied for Disney World, and it took me three times to get in.

I was rejected straight out once, realized how awful my interview was after reflecting on it, and tried again the next semester. This time, however, I applied two weeks before the deadline, so I got pended, but then did not get accepted, the same as your son, and finally, this time, with my better interview and early application, got in!

In the end, it's a job, like every other one. They don't have space for everyone who applies, and even though they will be invaluable to you later in life, you have to make yourself invaluable to them. Sit down with him and talk about his interview in a few weeks or months. See if you can figure out what he might have said that can be fixed, or shouldn't have brought up - I know my first interview I said how I had a complete lack of experience in this, so I'm sure they'd train me for this situation, but I would do _________.

Of course I have a complete lack of training, I've never worked for Disney before! So the next time, I just said what I'd do in that situation.

I hope it works out for your son, in Disneyland or in Disney World! Maybe he could get a summer job to help improve his prospects? I don't know if they look for that, but it couldn't hurt!

My son just finished the CP at Disney World in January. I can tell you that students can get in without having had another job first. He didn't have any prior work experience - also meaning he had never interviewed before. He and I spent a couple hours the weekend before his phone interview practicing interview questions. He didn't feel like he had the greatest interview because he was so nervous - but he did get accepted on his first try! He did Custodial at Hollywood Studios and loved the entire CP experience. In fact, he is thinking about going back to work for Disney when he gets his degree in a couple more years! Good luck to your son. :)

I can tell you a little about the pending letter. did your son apply when the application first came out? They can only take a limited number of people for the Disneyland CP. They try to keep it full, and not eveybody that is accepted will end up going. So they send out the pending letters. when the look at the numbers, and see how many spots they have due to people not coming, they will send out acceptance letters to those that received pending letters. basically it sounds like your son would have got it but maybe applied a little to late and not enough people declined your offer. have him try again, and even try for the Disney World CP in Florida. Many more spots to be filled there!

hi all can I ask again about the cm discount - my daughter is doing the international cp from june until sep 3 and we are going out to visit her for her last week ( as she will have her 21st bday out their ) and we will be staying till the 11 sep as a bit of a family holiday. We are hoping she can book us a room on disney and even a cruise for our first week / her last week in work and for all of us for the week between 3-11 sep. My question is can she book discount rooms for us all to stay in until sep 11th even though she will stop being a cm on the 3rd sep - will she still get the discounts as long as it is booked on the hub before she finishes? or should i just bite the bullet and book here before we go and get the free dinning plan they have on offer. any help would be great- thank you :cutie:

hi all can I ask again about the cm discount - my daughter is doing the international cp from june until sep 3 and we are going out to visit her for her last week ( as she will have her 21st bday out their ) and we will be staying till the 11 sep as a bit of a family holiday. We are hoping she can book us a room on disney and even a cruise for our first week / her last week in work and for all of us for the week between 3-11 sep. My question is can she book discount rooms for us all to stay in until sep 11th even though she will stop being a cm on the 3rd sep - will she still get the discounts as long as it is booked on the hub before she finishes? or should i just bite the bullet and book here before we go and get the free dinning plan they have on offer. any help would be great- thank you :cutie:

She will only need to show the ID at check-in, I've never been asked to show it any other time, so you wouldn't have a problem leaving after that date. She can book using the discount for the room only past that end date, because any other things such as dining reservations will require her to show her ID to get a discount. But if you are just referring to the hotel, you can book that before your end date, even if it goes past your end date, if that makes sense.

I would still book the free dining and find out what the terms are (how early you have to cancel with a full refund), since you never know what the availability is by the time she gets down there. At least you would have a backup plan.

Hi there, I see there are three apartment complexes for the college program.

1. At what point during the application process does the student choose which complex he/she would like to stay in?

2. Let's say the student has their heart set on Patterson, for expample. How likely is it that the student will be placed in the apartment complex of their choice?

Thnx!

Hi there, I see there are three apartment complexes for the college program.

1. At what point during the application process does the student choose which complex he/she would like to stay in?

2. Let's say the student has their heart set on Patterson, for expample. How likely is it that the student will be placed in the apartment complex of their choice?

Thnx!

All the apartment stuff is handled when you check into the program not during the application process.
If you have your heart set out on Patterson, my suggestion would be to arrive at check in early.

All the apartment stuff is handled when you check into the program not during the application process.
If you have your heart set out on Patterson, my suggestion would be to arrive at check in early.

Thanks for the info! Good to know. :)

I have more questions. On move-in day, do they have shuttles that take the student and their luggage to, let's say, Patterson, from Vista Way check in? I'm just wondering if any parents out there, or students moving in by themselves, have attempted to move in without a rental car or their own car. I know the Disney park/resort transpo buses do not allow luggage on them, so wasn't sure if they have shuttles that will allow luggage? Or is a taxi best? I'm not sure of the layout and how close one complex is to another when lugging belongings, so just trying to get a general idea.

DD is unsure about applying, but being a planner, I like to know things ahead of time. :)

tink

Thanks for the info! Good to know. :)

I have more questions. On move-in day, do they have shuttles that take the student and their luggage to, let's say, Patterson, from Vista Way check in? I'm just wondering if any parents out there, or students moving in by themselves, have attempted to move in without a rental car or their own car. I know the Disney park/resort transpo buses do not allow luggage on them, so wasn't sure if they have shuttles that will allow luggage? Or is a taxi best? I'm not sure of the layout and how close one complex is to another when lugging belongings, so just trying to get a general idea.

DD is unsure about applying, but being a planner, I like to know things ahead of time. :)

tink

When my DD checked in, I had to leave earlier than originally planned. I dropped her off at Vista Way and the bus took all the room mates to Chatham to their apartment. If you are coming the day of check in from the airport, there is a Disney arranged discounted shuttle service. One of my DD's room mates came in that way. The CPs drop off their luggage in a holding area and then go check in, parents go to the family tent and when they finish their check in, they pick up their luggage and either take the bus or if you have a car drive to your apartment.

We're from California, it was the first time my DD was that far away from home for an extended period. We were VERY impressed with the check in and security Disney has in place in all the apartment complexes.

When my DD checked in, I had to leave earlier than originally planned. I dropped her off at Vista Way and the bus took all the room mates to Chatham to their apartment. If you are coming the day of check in from the airport, there is a Disney arranged discounted shuttle service. One of my DD's room mates came in that way. The CPs drop off their luggage in a holding area and then go check in, parents go to the family tent and when they finish their check in, they pick up their luggage and either take the bus or if you have a car drive to your apartment.

We're from California, it was the first time my DD was that far away from home for an extended period. We were VERY impressed with the check in and security Disney has in place in all the apartment complexes.

Thank you for the reply. So it sounds like they do have a shuttle/bus that takes students and their luggage from check-in at Vista to another complex, if they are staying in Chatham or Patterson.

Oh boy, that brings me to more questions. Are parents allowed to ride this shuttle/bus with the student, from Vista check-in to either Chatham or Patterson to get them settled before parents leave for good? How far of a walk is it from Vista check-in, to the farthest DCP apartment complex? Is it walkable? thnx :)

Hi. I have a daughter starting community college this fall. She is planning to take the first semester there,and then apply to the CP for the spring semester before she transfers over to a 4 year college.She is hoping that this extra time will help her to figure out what she would like to major in.Of course I have alot of questions and concerns. I have been reading some of the posts here and have learned alot,but there are way too many for me to spend reading each one,and so if this questions has been already answered,I apologize. I would like to know exactly what sort of areas my daughter could apply to work in. Are all areas of entertainment open for the CP? I ask because my daughter is a dancer,and that is what she is hoping to do while in the CP. She also has another opportunity as a dancer somewhere else,but prefers to try for the CP first.Before she applys however, I would like to know if Disney uses students in the CP in the parades or shows,ect? What exactly are the areas in the program offered to select from?

Most of the information I've gleaned about the Entertainment CP role has been from this thread.

For Entertainment, Disney uses a color coding system that indicates a person's level and what types of roles they are able to go into. This includes students who are doing the CP. So theoretically, a CP student who has a high color for dancing and/or acting would be eligible for more performance-type roles.

More info on the color codes: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=24065851&highlight=color#post24065851
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=23043085&highlight=color#post23043085
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=35721369&postcount=847
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=35701045&postcount=838

However, from most of what I've read, CP Entertainment majorly consists of face and fur characters. Not because students are less talented necessarily, but because their employment will be such short term. Disney might not see such a point in spending weeks prepping a student for a show when they will only be in Orlando for 4 1/2-7 months.

Most of the information I've gleaned about the Entertainment CP role has been from this thread.

For Entertainment, Disney uses a color coding system that indicates a person's level and what types of roles they are able to go into. This includes students who are doing the CP. So theoretically, a CP student who has a high color for dancing and/or acting would be eligible for more performance-type roles.

More info on the color codes: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=24065851&highlight=color#post24065851
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=23043085&highlight=color#post23043085
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=35721369&postcount=847
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=35701045&postcount=838

However, from most of what I've read, CP Entertainment majorly consists of face and fur characters. Not because students are less talented necessarily, but because their employment will be such short term. Disney might not see such a point in spending weeks prepping a student for a show when they will only be in Orlando for 4 1/2-7 months.

Thank you so much for your much appreciated answer.. Your explanation makes sense too,about how Disney using the students in the CP who will be working in the entertainment program. I will let my dd know so that she can make a well informed decision about this now. From everything I have read so far,the program does still seem to be a special experience in and of itself and I feel better now that I understand it more.This is a very helpful forum!

Thank you so much for your much appreciated answer.. Your explanation makes sense too,about how Disney using the students in the CP who will be working in the entertainment program. I will let my dd know so that she can make a well informed decision about this now. From everything I have read so far,the program does still seem to be a special experience in and of itself and I feel better now that I understand it more.This is a very helpful forum!

My DD is currently a Character Performer/College Program. She has danced for 18 years with a few professional gigs and has always wanted to work for Disney. She is being trained right now and there has been no mention of dancing as a character; she is doing the Fall Advantage program. She will consider extending her placement or possibly attempting to stay on with the company - her dream would be to be a dancer on the cruiseline. In her researching, it appears that most dancers are at least 5' 4" and she isn't that tall. Your DD can always check the audition area of the website to see what is actually available for dancers beyond the College Program.

Do any of you know about the discounts that the CP participants get? Is it hard to find availability for rooms like during the first two weeks or so of December? Does anyone have access to when the maingate passes are blacked out? I understand it is announce three months out but do they usually black out early December? We are planning our trip and would hate to not be able to use the discounts and tickets. I am hating the fact that we would have to wait until August when he has access to the Hub to finalize our plans!:rolleyes1

Do any of you know about the discounts that the CP participants get? Is it hard to find availability for rooms like during the first two weeks or so of December? Does anyone have access to when the maingate passes are blacked out? I understand it is announce three months out but do they usually black out early December? We are planning our trip and would hate to not be able to use the discounts and tickets. I am hating the fact that we would have to wait until August when he has access to the Hub to finalize our plans!:rolleyes1

I made room reservations in advance to hold a room and then when DD was able to get on the HUB and check availability she then booked a room for us at BWI. Because she will stay with us, we are receiving a 50% discount on a club level room. She accessed the HUB in mid June to reserve the room for November. I'm not sure about blockout days but will ask her to check on that and will post if she has info.

Thank you, Itinkso! I have a room reserved at POFQ but would love an "upgrade" if DS can swing it. You will love BWI--that was our first onsite trip back in 1999! Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter