College Program Parents Thread...

Hope this is okay to post here... there is a group for DCP parents on FB. Disney College Program Group - To Infinity! And Beyond. It's a closed group, so you have to request permission to be added. My DD was accepted to spring advantage and I've found lots of helpful information from the folks there.
I believe it is against the rules to mention that internet place here...I'd be careful. People on the cruise board have gotten banned.

Yes there are advantages, not sure the ratio of how many do that compared with the regular programs. My point was this isn't a long term commitment and many things can be dealt with in the short term. My DD had never shared a bedroom or bathroom in her life. At her college, dorms were private bedrooms with full beds and private baths in 4 bedroom apartments, and her last year she had her own 1 bedroom apartment. For her to share a room and bath in a small apartment plus a twin bed was a really big adjustment ... but she did fine.

DD was there a 2014-2015, August through May. Her second "semester" she was unhappily moved to Vista. Immediate issue with bedbugs. She is very independent will go to battle for what she believes and she went round and round with management. They were locked out for days with none of their things and she was very upset demanding they move them. They absolutely refused and said they would fix apartment. They didn't even offer temp housing, just coupons for dining and movies..... They said the program was completely full and there were no options for moving at all. So I don't think moving is always an option. It may depend from program to program based on how many participants there are.

She had seen some bad Vista apartments that friends were in (interesting all guys) but many had been rehabbed including hers. Note that none of the apartments are managed by Disney so they can promise nothing and resolve nothing. They are managed by Lincoln Properties.

There was a brief time (about 3 months) in 2014 where they were overextended on housing because they brought over 300 CMs from Shanghai to train them here at WDW and they put them up in the CP housing. They actually offered to move some of the CPs that were over 21 and that had their own transportation to a nearby apt complex for the bargain rate of $50 a week!! They also told many CPs that were offered extensions that they were not being offered housing and would have to find their own.
Mine had their own car, so leaving CP housing was always an option if they were not placed in a suitable unit as they did not need the bus transportation.

And Disney does own all of the complexes. They just contract with Lincoln properties to manage/run them. Ultimately *IF* Disney did want to do something, it could be done. The matter is, "is it important enough for Disney to want to do something about it?" And the answer to that is, probably not...
Although, I did hear from a reliable source that Disney had some say in the hot tubs being done away with/filled in at Vista.

Yes Disney owns property, didn't say they did not. What I said is there is a disconnect between Disney and the management company. It is important info to share with parents thinking their kids entire experience is being handled and operated by Disney. It is not. Housing issues can be minor or major and it's all in the hands of a few folks at Lincoln. She found some worked hard and some were very hard to work with.

Imagine leaving 4 girls, 2 who had just arrived to town homeless for 48 hours without even a pair of pajamas. And it's against the rules to sleep in another apartment. Lincoln didn't represent the Disney expectation.

I believe it is against the rules to mention that internet place here...I'd be careful. People on the cruise board have gotten banned.
Not necessarily. I'm double checking, but it's not a commercial site..it's basically an informative, fun group. I'll let you know what I find out. That group of parents is an incredible group, with an immense amount of knowledge.

Yes Disney owns property, didn't say they did not. What I said is there is a disconnect between Disney and the management company. It is important info to share with parents thinking their kids entire experience is being handled and operated by Disney. It is not. Housing issues can be minor or major and it's all in the hands of a few folks at Lincoln. She found some worked hard and some were very hard to work with.

Imagine leaving 4 girls, 2 who had just arrived to town homeless for 48 hours without even a pair of pajamas. And it's against the rules to sleep in another apartment. Lincoln didn't represent the Disney expectation.

Sleeping in others apartments is actually not against the rules if you reside in the same complex. There was a HUGE issue over a change in that rule some kids were having opposite sex sleepovers. And when the "upset roommates" involved management, they said as long as they were living in the same complex it wasn't against any written rules about sleeping over. When the kids went to mediation, they told them no rules were being broken and they needed to work it out amongst themselves. Now if they reside in different complexes they cannot stay all night. And if caught doing so, that would be grounds for termination.
And I completely agree!! That is HORRIBLE to leave those poor CPs without a roof over their heads like that!! I wonder what would have happened if they went to casting and told casting what was going on? There is a department that coordinates the college program. It is just a matter of finding the right person and that's not always so easy. :/

Not necessarily. I'm double checking, but it's not a commercial site..it's basically an informative, fun group. I'll let you know what I find out. That group of parents is an incredible group, with an immense amount of knowledge.
Ok....I've been checking around. It is fine to mention this FB group. It is a terrific bunch of parents, with a lot of information. Between this group, and the FB parent group, there isn't a question or concern that can't be addressed.

Ok....I've been checking around. It is fine to mention this FB group. It is a terrific bunch of parents, with a lot of information. Between this group, and the FB parent group, there isn't a question or concern that can't be addressed.

WHEW! Thanks for confirming!

My son submitted his application last Monday - we were wondering how long it took for your CP participant to hear anything for the next step. We figure that he's a little late to the application process so it may take longer for a "please continue" or a "we're all full" response but wanted to get an idea of a time range. Thanks.

My son submitted his application last Monday - we were wondering how long it took for your CP participant to hear anything for the next step. We figure that he's a little late to the application process so it may take longer for a "please continue" or a "we're all full" response but wanted to get an idea of a time range. Thanks.
It's hard to say. It all depends on what Disney is looking for at any given moment. I know some kids that applied late in the game last spring that got accepted. My dd is currently a CP and just applied for an extension. So, Disney may wait for those extensions to be approved, or denied, before accepting any more DCP applications....but possibly not. I know that the kids that applied for the extensions were told they would hear something by Oct 21.

Has he had his phone interview yet? It's a multi step process. One of mine heard on day 3, 4 or 5 after her phone interview. It was pretty quick. And there was a weekend in there. She heard back on a Monday. And the other heard around 2 (or 3) weeks after her phone interview.

Has he had his phone interview yet? It's a multi step process. One of mine heard on day 3, 4 or 5 after her phone interview. It was pretty quick. And there was a weekend in there. She heard back on a Monday. And the other heard around 2 (or 3) weeks after her phone interview.

No, no phone interview or web interview - just a "thanks for applying" email. That's why we were wondering at what point to expect an email correspondence. Good to know about extensions happening now - it might be that they are holding new applications until after the 21st to see what openings they'll have left to fill. He's finishing his AA in December and is anxious to have a plan for January as his bachelor's coursework won't start until August. Otherwise he'll need to start looking for a local job. DCP slides nicely into his gap.

My son submitted his application Aug. 20 and was put in submission. He attended the character performer auditions, which concluded on Monday 10/10 and was invited to do the WBI yesterday. He has his phone interview next week. So, he was in submission for about six weeks. Good luck to your son. Fingers crossed for mine too! :-)

When my dd applied last January, she did so on the first day, Jan 12. She was offered the WBI within an hour of applying. Then, about an hour after the WBI, she was told to set up a date for her phone interview. She did that for the next week. She finally got her acceptance email on Feb 22, auditioned in NCY in mid-March, and got her negative response email for the audition processs about a week after that.

When my dd applied last January, she did so on the first day, Jan 12. She was offered the WBI within an hour of applying. Then, about an hour after the WBI, she was told to set up a date for her phone interview. She did that for the next week. She finally got her acceptance email on Feb 22, auditioned in NCY in mid-March, and got her negative response email for the audition processs about a week after that.
So, she still did the program but just not as a performer,correct? What role was she in? How far did she get in the audition?

So, she still did the program but just not as a performer,correct? What role was she in? How far did she get in the audition?

One thing to note about auditions - making it to the end isn't a guarantee of placement. My understanding is that if you make it to the very end, you are placed on a list that is active for 6 months. That list basically says 'we think you could be good for a role if the need arises'

Sometimes that need never comes up and your placement on the list expires. If that happens, you have to go through the auditions again to be considered.

It's great to make it to the end, but don't think it's a guarantee of placement

My dd has been involved in theatre since she was 8. She has been friends with characters at Six Flags NE for the past two summers, as well as in their 6 person improv group. She had a degree in Theatre Arts. She is also 5'10" tall! So, when she did the Disney audition, she did it mostly for the experience. She was sure she would be cut quickly, based in her height. She was packing up her bag, as the first, big cut was happening, getting ready to be excused. But..they called her number to go to the next round. They started with iver 300 kids, only 100 went on to that next round. There they learned a more difficult dance sequence, as well as some improv stuff. She made it through that section and was excused just prior to the face character section. I think they kept, maybe, 10-15 to go on.
She auditioned, yet again, last month, in WDW, and was excused quickly. Seems they were looking for very short girls and tall guys. She'll keep auditioning, just in case they need her size.
She currently works in attractions in DHS, Jedi Training Academy, Olaf and Mickey/Minnie meet and greets and where they do the short Star Wars films. She moves around in that whole area. She really loves it.

My dd has been involved in theatre since she was 8. She has been friends with characters at Six Flags NE for the past two summers, as well as in their 6 person improv group. She had a degree in Theatre Arts. She is also 5'10" tall! So, when she did the Disney audition, she did it mostly for the experience. She was sure she would be cut quickly, based in her height. She was packing up her bag, as the first, big cut was happening, getting ready to be excused. But..they called her number to go to the next round. They started with iver 300 kids, only 100 went on to that next round. There they learned a more difficult dance sequence, as well as some improv stuff. She made it through that section and was excused just prior to the face character section. I think they kept, maybe, 10-15 to go on.
She auditioned, yet again, last month, in WDW, and was excused quickly. Seems they were looking for very short girls and tall guys. She'll keep auditioning, just in case they need her size.
She currently works in attractions in DHS, Jedi Training Academy, Olaf and Mickey/Minnie meet and greets and where they do the short Star Wars films. She moves around in that whole area. She really loves it.

Very cool! My son auditioned last month and made it to the face character section. He is 6' feet tall. I'm not sure if that's tall enough for the "tall guys" they are looking for, but I hope it is! He is also a theater major and has been performing for the last several years, including improv work at the NY Ren Faire. We are just really hopeful that his interview goes way and that he is offered a position!

One thing to note about auditions - making it to the end isn't a guarantee of placement. My understanding is that if you make it to the very end, you are placed on a list that is active for 6 months. That list basically says 'we think you could be good for a role if the need arises'

Sometimes that need never comes up and your placement on the list expires. If that happens, you have to go through the auditions again to be considered.

It's great to make it to the end, but don't think it's a guarantee of placement

We are aware that it is not a guarantee, but are very happy that the audition moved him out of submission and into the interview process.

We are aware that it is not a guarantee, but are very happy that the audition moved him out of submission and into the interview process.
That's definitely a good sign!
And I wasn't trying to be a downer at all, since I'm pretty sure that's how it came off. One of my former roommates went to auditions several times a month, and it was always interesting to hear her stories on how far she did/didn't make it, simply based on who else happened to be there. Making it to the end is definitely a big deal, and it sounds like it's working positively for your son

That's definitely a good sign!
And I wasn't trying to be a downer at all, since I'm pretty sure that's how it came off. One of my former roommates went to auditions several times a month, and it was always interesting to hear her stories on how far she did/didn't make it, simply based on who else happened to be there. Making it to the end is definitely a big deal, and it sounds like it's working positively for your son

I sure hope that it is a good sign! He was in submission for 6 weeks and he was hoping that the audition would help move him along. Fingers crossed for his phone interview next week! I am hoping that his height will help him out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter