• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

College move in ?

Well, I think we are using plastic totes. My DD has a lot of decorative items. I'm hoing to fit most of her stuff into 4 totes including clohing. But, we will see. She wants to wait until Thursday to pack, we drive there on Friday. LOL! I am buying the totes tomorrow and that's when it is getting packed. I could fit all my stuff into my own car, not sure we can hers. We will see!

Move in day for our college soph is next week. Not sure how it will go, he is moving in early so he can help with freshman move in day. Last year it was nice to have people around to carry all the stuff upstairs for us. We pack his stuff in some plastic bins, laundry baskets, and duffel bags. He kept 2 of the bins at school, the laundry baskets and other bins I took home. We too put trash bags around all his hanging things and took them that way. Easy to unpack!

I'm guessing we will be moving it all ourselves this time around unless he can round up some friends to help once we get there. Dolly/cart won't help all that much because the building doesn't have an elevator and he lives on the 3rd floor this year. Luckily the campus is small so we can unload right by the entrance to the building.

I do remember commenting last year on move-in day that I hoped all those people would be around for move-out day. LOL As for move-out, he had Easter break about 3 weeks before he moved out, so we brought a lot of stuff home then. It wasn't too bad.

We had move in day yesterday. 8th and 9th floors moved in yesterday. Other levels move in over hte next few days. There is a parking deck next to DDs dorm. We were directed to the first level to drop her things in a pile on the opposite side of where the cars parked. Then we had to move the car to the upper level. This was new.

Then you had to lug their things to their dorm room (DD lives on 9th and top floor). There were a few fraternity boys there to help which was new.

We ended up with 2 large boxes, 5 paper/ream boxes, her laundry basket full, two storage baskets, a trunk, her microwave, her backpack, and a few loose items like her pillows and hanging clothes. There were girls that were there with less and many with much more. She kept her mattress pad and rug in the dorm lounge over the summer, so we didn't have to carry those.

A couple hundred girls with only two elevators and one set of stairs makes the process a long one. We ended up carrying lighter things up the nine flights a couple times just to avoid the elevator line (DH stood in it with our cart full of boxes three times).

We put DD's clothes in a garbage bag. She had no room to store all those totes and we didn't have time to wait until she unpacked everything. The garbage bags worked great. She's in an apt now but when she was moving into the dorms they had people there to help somewhat. They would take it to the dorm building but not up the stairs- no elevator.

We had move in day yesterday. 8th and 9th floors moved in yesterday. Other levels move in over hte next few days. There is a parking deck next to DDs dorm. We were directed to the first level to drop her things in a pile on the opposite side of where the cars parked. Then we had to move the car to the upper level. This was new.

Then you had to lug their things to their dorm room (DD lives on 9th and top floor). There were a few fraternity boys there to help which was new.

We ended up with 2 large boxes, 5 paper/ream boxes, her laundry basket full, two storage baskets, a trunk, her microwave, her backpack, and a few loose items like her pillows and hanging clothes. There were girls that were there with less and many with much more. She kept her mattress pad and rug in the dorm lounge over the summer, so we didn't have to carry those.

A couple hundred girls with only two elevators and one set of stairs makes the process a long one. We ended up carrying lighter things up the nine flights a couple times just to avoid the elevator line (DH stood in it with our cart full of boxes three times).

I feel your pain on the 9th floor move in. We did that last year. The elevator line was too backed up so everything was schlepped up the stairs. No need for the gym that day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter