• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cold Weather Camping

klafollette

Earning My Ears
My husband and I will be camping for the first time ever at Disney this weekend. The weather is supposed to dip down to in the low 40's at night. Is there any tricks to staying warm? Should I just pack a lot of blankets, or is there a special camp heater you can use in a tent?

Parden my lack of know-how.....I am totally oblivious when it comes to camping. :D

Hmmmmm......cold weather camping with your husband. And you need a special heater??? Sorry, had to say it. :love:

You could get a little electric ceramic heater (we bought ours at Wal-mart). Most are equipped with a thermostat these days and also an auto-shut-off if it tips over. Just be sure it's not touching any blankets or clothes, etc.. I think there are propane powered camping heaters - convection or something like that - that are supposed to be safe in a tent but I'm always nervous about exhaust gasses and the like. Other than that, a good warm sleeping bag rated to 25/30 degrees, and/or lots of blankets!! I find fleece is a GREAT insulator when it comes to blankets and even warm clothes. Also, wearing a hat or hood to keep your head covered can really help. Lastly, the more there is between you and the ground/tent floor, the warmer you will be! Getting up off the ground and using a cot or a good thick pad will help you stay warmer.

:earboy2:

Bring your electric blanket and an extension cord, plus wore the thermal underwear. Worked fine.

We have a little ceramic heater from Wal Mart too. Works great! And, we bring extra blankets - and a down comforter! :cloud9:

I just got back on Monday from a three night trip. It got into the low 40's at FW on Sunday night. We camped the same weekend about four years ago, and it was down in the 30's one night. We also use a small ceramic electric heater that I bought for about $40.00 at Home Depot. I have a little indoor/outdoor thermometer from Brookstone that I like to bring to show the DW and kids how smart dad is to bring a heater. On Sunday night, when it was about 45 outside, that little heater kept it 75 inside our pop-up camper. The fabric on a tent is a little thinner than the fabric on a pop-up, but I think you would be fine with a little space heater, a good sleeping bag, and maybe a few extra blankets. Have a great time!

We absolutely love Cold Weather camping.....We camp a few times during the summer, but our favorite time is fall. And fall in Indiana can sometimes mean snow!!

We have a small pop-up, but we started out in tents. I have such found memories of going to our annual covered bridge festival when my DH and I were married. We zipped our sleeping bags together and we were so cozy. I would also recommend the small heater fan, plus an electric blanket.

Have fun and make memories!!

Even though our RV has a propane powered furnace and a heat setting on the AC unit, I got a small VORNADO electric heater. That thing works great. The way its designed the warm air circulates quickly to heat up the entire space in just a few minutes. We used it a few nights in December 2003 and again in 2004 when it got down in the 30s at Fort Wilderness. It is safe, has a thermostat, shuts off if tipped over and is cool to the touch all of which were important in the RV with our dog.

You guys are great! We got our ceramic heater....LOL on the comments by ftwildernessguy. We didn't buy sleeping bags, but we were planning to use an air mattress and to pack a lot of blankets. (You can't take ALL of the City Girl out of me...LOL)

My husband has never been camping in his life, and I went when I was a little girl, but don't remember much about it. This should be really interesting. I can just picture a lot of America's Funniest Home Video moments as we try to get through this.

At least I only booked one night so we could try it first before we book a long trip. This in fact is my husbands anniversary present (9 years). I bought the tent for him with a promise that we would go camping...which he has wanted to do forever.

Also, I forgot to mention that if it goes horribly wrong, my second night at Disney is at the Saratoga Springs resort....so at least we would be able to salvage our weekend. :D

Thanks again everyone for all of the tips and advice!

klafollette said:
. We didn't buy sleeping bags, but we were planning to use an air mattress and to pack a lot of blankets.

Be sure you put plastic under the tent. It keeps the inside dry and will help you feel warmer--kind of a barrier between you and the ground. Wear sweats and clean socks to bed. And bring a stocking cap to keep the top of your head warm. Put your bra & panties inside your pillowcase at night, so it will be warm when you get up--cold underwire :earseek:

Cathy--45yrs of tent camping experience :flower1:

I used an electric blanket and and air mattress in my tent this past December and stayed pretty warm. Next December I may add an electric mattress pad to the mix.

Another note, be sure and completely change into clean/dry nightclothes when you sleep outside in cold weather. What you've been wearing during the day is soaked with sweat and will make you colder at night.

Also open your windows a few inches to allow some air flow to keep things dryer. All the moisture you create in your tent at night will make things colder if it has no place to escape.

Once you set up your tent, keep all the windows open and a fan going if possible to keep it dry until you are ready to go to bed.

Can you see a theme here :-) Dampness and moisture is your enemy!! Keep things as dry as possible.

Carol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter