Coffee on the Verandah -The Last Slide, Recap & Souvies 5/29 - Link to Aulani TR 5/31

I love all of your Dinosaur pictures, the kids really had fun with it! How unfortunate about your meal - it stinks to spend that much money on food that isn't very good.

Looks like you've conquered the picture mess :cool1: great update, love AK. I wasn't sure if we'd make to that park on our upcoming trip as DH wanted more down time...but looks like I'll get my way, I mean we have an ADR at Yak and Yeti so whatchya gonna do:confused3

Well, I conquered part of it. That update anyway. It is going to be a project and a lot of it is just the fact that it's pictures from 4 cameras all with different time stamps. That's an us issue, not PB! I at least got the day re-sorted and will be uploading it broken up into sections this time so that should help. Trying to do editing on the laptop instead of PB though as that can mess up the order even more!

Oh darn it, you HAVE to go to the park to get to your ADR. :thumbsup2 hate it when that happens.

Although honestly,on previous trips we've dashed in to eat and not gotten to do much else which was really frustrating

You made EMH rope drop !!!! :cool1::cool1::cool1:

Can you believe it? US??? Motivated kids. Heck motivated everyone.

I will forgive you about the mugs.. ;)

Whew, I was worried.

Our backstage safari was 8 am. Did not realize there was an afternoon one. :confused3

Yep, 8:30 and 1, with arrival 15 minutes early. Didn't want to risk being late for the am one. M/W/F I think.

Looks like you made good use of your morning. Sorry the bakery was a let down.

Can't wait to hear how the backstage safari tour went.

The bakery was a let down but, oh well. I think we'd intended originally to grab something at the Mara and we should have, it would have been much better.

Devine is simply amazing. I love AKV in general but Africa is my favorite part. The music and sights, the general vibe....can't be beat in my book.

It can't, you just feel immersed!

I take the the tacky photos of photos too. :rotfl: I seriously wonder how many they actually sell.

I have bought some over time but not in quite a while. They are entertaining. I think first timers buy them.

I'm not a fan of the pastry carts either. I'm not a big pastry fan in general but the kids always seem disappointed with their choices, especially the bagels.

Cute pics of the kids posing in front of Dinosaur. :thumbsup2

The bagel was meh, I think the worst of the lot.

I love all of your Dinosaur pictures, the kids really had fun with it! How unfortunate about your meal - it stinks to spend that much money on food that isn't very good.

Thanks!

They are pretty cute, posers that they are and they were definitely having fun with it, you really can't ask for more. At least we used snack credits on half of it, I'd have been far more annoyed otherwise and it did what we needed it to do, get us to lunch!

Soemtimes you've just got to fill your belly with what evers on offer. I'm sure a lot of mugs get dumped we don't take ours home with us for a start, but a recycling process for them would be good.

Finally. It was day 11 of our trip, the second to last day and at long last we were actually going to a park!

I'm not sure that sentence has ever been written in a TR before. Congratulations!

Ill be honest; I really hadn't made a touring plan but definitely had some ideas in mind. Jeff however had some DEFINITE ideas and there may or may not have been agreement or disagreement about strategy.

:rolleyes1

And apparently I really thought everyone would let me tell them what to do.

Nope. Definitely not.

If only everyone would just do as we say, it would all work out better!

Nothing like Souvenir god funds burning a hole in your pocket huh.

I know that feeling. That's why DW hides the cash.:rotfl2:

And a visit with a lovely lady

The rest of the gang was less enthralled, Im not sure why but they were booking ahead. Maybe thats why Devine decided it was time for a break?

I have to confess, I fall into the camp that doesn't really "get" Devine.:guilty:

Good job getting everyone going after they were so tired from the cruise and planning on sleeping in just 24 hours before.

I don't think I've ever been in that Chester & Hester's Dinosaur Treasures.

Soemtimes you've just got to fill your belly with what evers on offer. I'm sure a lot of mugs get dumped we don't take ours home with us for a start, but a recycling process for them would be good.

I've always found it surprising and disappointing there isn't a better recycling program at WDW in general. I imagine a lot of the mugs are dumped.

Yep, sometimes you just need sustenance

I'm not sure that sentence has ever been written in a TR before. Congratulations!

At least not on this board! Maybe the tag fairy will finally find me.

If only everyone would just do as we say, it would all work out better!

SO very very true. Although it did work out. I really thought we should grab Kali first as I worried that if we did it as our 2nd FP the time could be too late for K. Luckily it wasn't.

I know that feeling. That's why DW hides the cash.:rotfl2:

Someone needs to hide it from all of us. :rotfl2:

I have to confess, I fall into the camp that doesn't really "get" Devine.:guilty:

Probably not much into mimes or living statues either huh

Good job getting everyone going after they were so tired from the cruise and planning on sleeping in just 24 hours before.

They sure don't look tired, do they?

I don't think I've ever been in that Chester & Hester's Dinosaur Treasures.

I hadn't either or at least not that I can remember. It is a very cool shop!

When I took a backstage tour at MK, they told us that they go through every trash can to pull out all recyclables. I would hope the mugs would get recycled then.

Jill in CO

When I took a backstage tour at MK, they told us that they go through every trash can to pull out all recyclables. I would hope the mugs would get recycled then.

Jill in CO

Gosh, wouldn't it be easier to have cans out for guests to put it in? The whole recycling thing is quite interesting to see how different jurisdictions handle what is ok, versus what isn't, what can be mixed and what can't. It is actually expensive to recycle, more so than to not and I'd always wondered if b/c Reedy Creek "governs" WDW if they were opting out/minimizing somehow to save money...because they can. It has surprised me that no one has made a stink out of it but then again, I live in WA where you have to pay to get a bag at the store. :rotfl:

I found this, it's a very interesting way to measure it.

This is from the 2012 Disney Citizenship Summary Report

50% of the total garbage volume from 2006 is what they are looking to achieve as a recycled total. Makes no allowances at all for the growth in non recycled items.

By 2013, decrease Parks and Resorts’ annual solid waste to landfill to 50% of 2006 baseline level

The 2006 baseline level refers to the total waste generated in 2006. In practical terms, this means decreasing our waste sent to landfill to levels below 136,000 tons per year. From 2009 through 2011, WDP&R sent to landfill less than 136,000 tons per year. In 2012, WDP&R sent 147,000 tons to landfill (53.9% of the 2006 baseline level) due to operational growth throughout the segment, particularly at Disney Cruise Line, Hong Kong Disneyland, and Disney California Adventure.

WDP&R continues to divert a significant amount of waste from landfills. In 2012, WDP&R achieved a 53.4% diversion rate through extensive recycling and donation programs, as well as by utilizing waste-to-energy facilities and innovative waste minimization programs. Examples include:

Throughout the Disney California Expansion project at the Disneyland Resort, many efforts were taken to minimize waste sent to landfills and maximize charitable donations. For example, Lightning McQueen Power Wheel cars used in a promotional video for Cars Land were donated to local nonprofits that serve children and families. Walt Disney World Resort diverted material from landfills during five recent multiroom refurbishments at resort hotels. The refurbishments achieved “zero waste” status as defined by the Environmental Protection Agency and the Zero Waste Alliance.

At Disneyland Paris, food waste sorting and collection began in 2009 and was extended in 2012 to all major restaurants throughout the Resort. The diverted food waste is then used to generate electricity.
Hong Kong Disneyland (HKDL) recently launched a plastic bag recycling program to reuse the waste plastic bags generated from our daily operations. Unwanted plastic bags that are collected are recycled and reused for the production of new merchandise shopping bags. An environmental message has been printed on the bags to inspire our guests to support reuse and recycling.

I also found the last doc from Reedy Creek on the subject, which is old (2002) only shows 1% recycled!

What I know is this. What CAN be recycled today is vastly different than it was in 2006. If I look at just my household and the volume of what I was recycling then, versus now well, lets put it this way. In 2006 I had a very large garbage can (96 gallon) for regular garbage and a small one for recycling (32 gallon). Today, it is reversed entirely. So if I were to hit 50% of my 2006 landfill items as my goal, that would be a lot less than I'm actually doing.

I'd love to see the total volume numbers from 2006 to 2012 as only then could you really see what kind of improvement, or not it really is.

Off soapbox now. And I really don't want that job of garbage sorter. Ick.

:rotfl2:

Yay for making rope drop! :cool1:

I agree -- they should have more recycling in the park.

Dinosaur was our first ride of the day at AK too. And I guess I'd never looked up at the store afterwards. It's so cool inside!

I think I saved about $38 off the total cost versus buying 2 separate tickets for the 2 trips.
$38 is $38. Better than nothing. And you get to say you have an AP.

Barely but we made it! And then tossed our now empty refillable mugs. Irresponsible!
How wasteful. Now you're going to have to get new mugs on your next trip. :rotfl2::lmao:

And apparently I really thought everyone would let me tell them what to do.
That was your first mistake...

Fast pass in hand it was off to....Kendall's favorite ride! As she and Jeff would be gone in the afternoon, they basically got to call the early morning shots.
Not sure I'd want to make this my second stop... third maybe, but I don't think I could bypass Asia.

If memory serves, the pickings were slim and not everyone got their first choice.
Sounds wonderful. :faint:

The beverages were decent, I will say that and while it wasn't anything remotely special (and I'd have been truly annoyed had we spent $30 on it) it did what we needed it to do which was put a little something in our bellies to tide us over till lunch.
I'd be frustrated about spending $15 on it. There's not even any bacon in there. You basically bought flavored breads. :rotfl2::lmao:

SO very very true. Although it did work out. I really thought we should grab Kali first as I worried that if we did it as our 2nd FP the time could be too late for K. Luckily it wasn't.
I was way wrong... I thought you wanted to hit EE first. I'm not a KRR fan at all though. :rolleyes1

For example, Lightning McQueen Power Wheel cars used in a promotional video for Cars Land were donated to local nonprofits that serve children and families.
I'm sorry, but this kind of makes me a little bit concerned that not throwing away perfectly good Power Wheel cars is considered to be one of their recycling programs. That obviously means that at one point, throwing them away was considered, or as recently as 2006, they would have just done that. Now regardless of how waste is or isn't sorted once dumped in a trash can, throwing those away would be the definition of wasteful.

Off soapbox now. And I really don't want that job of garbage sorter. Ick.

:rotfl2:
I don't know what they get paid, but it isn't nearly enough. :rotfl2::lmao::rotfl:

We threw some pretty nasty diapers in those trash cans... and somebody has to sort through that... yuck.

Yay for making rope drop! :cool1:

I agree -- they should have more recycling in the park.

Dinosaur was our first ride of the day at AK too. And I guess I'd never looked up at the store afterwards. It's so cool inside!

Well the "cool" store isn't the Dinosaur dump shot but as you walk out it you do walk right by it. We've always skipped it in the past but I'm glad we went in, it's pretty neat in there!

$38 is $38. Better than nothing. And you get to say you have an AP.

Exactly! $38 buys a lot of.... something. Every little bit helps. I suppose technically it was a little more than that as I did get 2% rewards on the purchase too. :rotfl2:

How wasteful. Now you're going to have to get new mugs on your next trip. :rotfl2::lmao:

I'm sure the design will have changed by then but you never know. We do have 4 of them that came home, I think. What, you don't think the Aulani mugs will work? Assuming we buy them...

Not sure I'd want to make this my second stop... third maybe, but I don't think I could bypass Asia.

You know, we got burned on the last trip and that was a big driver for K. She'd missed some AK park time by sleeping in and hanging with her grandma and then when we had our dinner there and it was evening EMH, the assumption was, no problem. It had like a 45 minute wait! So she was paranoid and seriously it might well be her favorite ride of all. All. Go figure.

Sounds wonderful. :faint:

I'd be frustrated about spending $15 on it. There's not even any bacon in there. You basically bought flavored breads. :rotfl2::lmao:

Well yes, that's about all you can get at most "coffee" shops lol, pastries. No bacon. No egg. Just sugar and carbs.

I was way wrong... I thought you wanted to hit EE first. I'm not a KRR fan at all though. :rolleyes1

You weren't wrong. That might well be what I'd have done, and definitely is what the E's would have done. K is not an EE fan. At all. She will go on anything else but being outside and up that high freaks her out. So the plan was for EE after lunch while K & Jeff were on their tour. It did frustrate the heck out of the E's...who aren't exactly known for their patience. :rotfl:

I'm sorry, but this kind of makes me a little bit concerned that not throwing away perfectly good Power Wheel cars is considered to be one of their recycling programs. That obviously means that at one point, throwing them away was considered, or as recently as 2006, they would have just done that. Now regardless of how waste is or isn't sorted once dumped in a trash can, throwing those away would be the definition of wasteful.

Exactly my point. The whole thing is lame spin to make it appear they are doing well in this area. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of other ways Disney is being a good corporate citizen but I don't believe this is one of them. At least not in FL. I'd bet dollars to donuts CA has some stringent requirements they have to follow that they can bypass in FL thanks to Reedy Creek.

I don't know what they get paid, but it isn't nearly enough. :rotfl2::lmao::rotfl:

We threw some pretty nasty diapers in those trash cans... and somebody has to sort through that... yuck.

Seriously. And I'm quite sure there are a LOT of those. I find the whole thing a bit suspect.

It is sad you had to throw out your mugs. I know I might get flamed for this, but it would have been awesome if you could have just given them to someone. Oh well. Next time - Owner's Locker.

I have to agree with Kendall that Dinosaur is a great ride. I really love it! :thumbsup2

Great pictures of the three kids together. The pictures in front of Dinosaur are awesome!

I know what you mean about sometime you just have to buy food you rather not have simply to fill the hunger.

Fun morning so far!

It is sad you had to throw out your mugs. I know I might get flamed for this, but it would have been awesome if you could have just given them to someone. Oh well. Next time - Owner's Locker.

I have to agree with Kendall that Dinosaur is a great ride. I really love it! :thumbsup2

Great pictures of the three kids together. The pictures in front of Dinosaur are awesome!

I know what you mean about sometime you just have to buy food you rather not have simply to fill the hunger.

Fun morning so far!

Well I have to admit I'd be kind of grossed out by a random person offering me their resort mug to use, while at the park. Where I couldn't use it but would just be carrying around their dirty mug LOL! No flaming at all from me, heck one of the mugs we tossed was from our Flower and Garden Trip! and it had been used at...4 resorts? And the other one at 3 so.... Not in a position to flame lol. That said, both were primarily used for coffee that we brought and made ourselves, not the refillable soda. :thumbsup2

Conceptually I am totally fine with it but mugs seem well, personal, so unless you knew someone with a trip after you and coordinated the hand off in the park I'm not sure how it could be managed. IF the mugs haven't changed by next Dec you can be assured I'm packing the ones I have and yes...Owners Locker, we should discuss that sharing idea again after you get back from HH

Those pictures of the 3 of them in front of Dinosaur crack me up.

The savages needed their sugar and carbs. It could have gotten ugly and the food did what it ultimately needed to do. Sometimes that's good enough, and worth $15.

In looking at our AK day well...we took over 500 pictures. And, of those about 180 were of the safari.

4 cameras, 4 time stamps and :badpc:

SO crazy! Not even a PB issue. I'd already uploaded them, went to look at them and was SO confused what was what. :confused3

Instead I decided to go back and re-sort them and re-upload. Finished the sorting last night and will upload today and then, safari time!

:thumbsup2

Hope everyone is having a lovely morning

In looking at our AK day well...we took over 500 pictures. And, of those about 180 were of the safari.

4 cameras, 4 time stamps and :badpc:

SO crazy! Not even a PB issue. I'd already uploaded them, went to look at them and was SO confused what was what. :confused3

Instead I decided to go back and re-sort them and re-upload. Finished the sorting last night and will upload today and then, safari time!

:thumbsup2

Hope everyone is having a lovely morning

Tell me about mixed up photos on PB! We use three different cameras and all are on different time zones. :scared1:
My pics are/were in a hot mess. PB has now added a sort by filename option, which gets them in order again - at least for me it works. ;)

Tell me about mixed up photos on PB! We use three different cameras and all are on different time zones. :scared1:
My pics are/were in a hot mess. PB has now added a sort by filename option, which gets them in order again - at least for me it works. ;)

Yeah unfortunately the sort by file name really doesn't help as there are 4 different naming structures unless I rename. Not!

So it's really not a PB issue but I will be very glad when the drag and drop organizer comes back. Which they say will....

On the positive side I hadn't edited any of them either Sibiu was easier to start from scratch.

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The custom sort option is BACK on PB

:cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1:

SOOOOOOOOO happy!

Caught up again.

We do throw our mugs away every trip. No use for them at home.

I was told also they have sorters. I would not and could not do that.

Seems like a good day so far.

Looking forward to the safari pics.

It's about time! ;) :thumbsup2

No kidding!

While it doesn't fix the 4 cameras/time stamp issue it does help to be able to do a custom sort, tremendously.

Would help more if you could drag and drop (and delete) in bulk but I have hope.

Caught up again.

We do throw our mugs away every trip. No use for them at home.

I was told also they have sorters. I would not and could not do that.

Seems like a good day so far.

Looking forward to the safari pics.

That seems SO inefficient to have sorters, I really think they could do better.

We've brought them home each trip and in some ways it's silly as we have at least a dozen now around the house, many of which never get used. It will be interesting to see if they change the mug before our next trip, if they don't I will be glad I hauled them home. LOL! With what we've spent on those mugs and the DDP and what very very little soda or coffee we've gotten in them, I have no guilt whatsoever about using them again, especially as I do not think we will be doing the DDP on this trip unless we end up coming in one day early and having a cash night stay of some sort and in that case, we probably would do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter