Coffee? No, really...

T16

Earning My Ears
First, a disclaimer that we love WDW dearly, and for multiple visits each year for the last seven years are more than willing to offer up some of the everyday expectations and "comforts" of home in exchange for all the wonderful Magic.

That being said...

Where in the World does one find decent coffee? Stuff made from real beans, perhaps actually ground on the premises, and brewed frequently? Or is this somehow illegal at WDW?

We will typically hit the coffee bar in the lobby at CR when going to/coming from MK, or the kiosk outside AK, and that's about as passable as it gets. I drink simple black coffee, and even at these places, the best you'll get is some burned, acidy stuff brewed five hours ago.

The ersatz-instachem stuff served at most CS places and in resort food courts is not even worth discussion ( and what IS that maple-syrupy aftertaste about?) It's gotten to where I've fallen back on McDonald's near the All-Star Resorts.

So what's the deal? Any secrets or recommendations for a good, fresh, strong cup o quality joe?

http://allears.net/din/coffee.htm

This is a great page with all the 'real' coffee locations. I always have a hard time when traveling because I roast my own beans = real good coffee. I find that I have turned myself into a bit of a coffee snob. Oh well, life is short, so I drink darn good coffee.

I am pretty sure there is decent coffee at the coffee bar in the upstairs Poly lobby...I am willing to bet it's Kona coffee. The coffee they serve at Kona Cafe is a kona blend and they also have the coffee press which I have heard is much better.

Or you could do what my friends did...buy a mini Keurig and schlep it with you. I think some people take those little Starbucks Via instant brews and I have heard they are pretty good.

I am pretty sure there is decent coffee at the coffee bar in the upstairs Poly lobby...I am willing to bet it's Kona coffee. The coffee they serve at Kona Cafe is a kona blend and they also have the coffee press which I have heard is much better.

Or you could do what my friends did...buy a mini Keurig and schlep it with you. I think some people take those little Starbucks Via instant brews and I have heard they are pretty good.

You are correct about the Kona in the morning at the Poly. My DBF goes every morning and gets me a large Kona coffee, brings it back so I can sit on my balcony at the Poly and enjoy!

You are correct about the Kona in the morning at the Poly. My DBF goes every morning and gets me a large Kona coffee, brings it back so I can sit on my balcony at the Poly and enjoy!

Ah, so that's how you get decent coffee - book a room at the poly :laughing: I've been looking for an excuse to stay there and coffee sounds like it could justify just about anything :)

I asked the same thing before my trip---Poly for coffee right outside Kona- really good, and Starbucks at Dolphin's Picabu counter service.

We found the coffee kiosk right outside of Canada in Epcot, on the way to future world had fairly decent coffee. This next trip I'm seriously contemplating bringing some from home and and making a couple of pots in the room to get us going and not be subjected to the nescafe garbage until we make our way to the parks. Yuck.

When I printed off the touring plans for each of the parks, I added in the coffee spots from the allears list. That way I don't have to rely on my increasingly unreliable memory when the need for a caffiene fix kicks in.:lmao:

And we have been bringing our own coffee for years. I grind up enough to last for the trip and bring it, along with the 4 cup filters to use in our resort room, using the coffee maker in the room. It's the only way I have any hope of making RD!! Then midmorning we find a kiosk with the decent stuff for a booster shot.

I really, really miss the good ol' days when Disney had great full bodied coffee. Sigh.:surfweb:

We had a great stay at the Swan in April. It was great to get some good coffee at a resort. They have Starbucks for the single-serve in room machines, and also for the refillable mugs (good at Swan & Dolphin). They had a special at the Splash Grill-the mug was only around $11. Free Starbucks refills the entire 10 days!

I am not a real coffee drinker but there is a good spot in Hollywood Studios called the Writers stop. It is next to the Sci-Fi. I used to just walk right by not noticing it but they have muffins, cookies, coffee, tea, soda and nice comfortable relaxing chairs to sit in.

Decent coffee is a real problem if you are used to a morning Starbucks or better. Frankly, for me, the Joffreys is not that much better than the NastyCafe. We have found that the only decent cups have been at Earl of Sandwich (really) and WPE. Not sure what they use but I don't think it is Joffreys or NastyCafe.

For in the room, I bring my own coffee.

I usually bring Starbucks Via with me. It's not bad, and definitely better than disney coffee, plus the cost is much better. And it's really easy to pack the small packets. Hot water is free, and the packets are about $1 each. It's acceptable. Not wonderful, but acceptable. Sometimes I'll buy a cup of coffee at Disney, and add some of the Starbucks Via. I like strong coffee, lol. Oh, and you can add it to shakes and stuff, too. :)

The french press pot at Kona is quite good, BTW. Not an everyday thing, though. I wish Disney would step up and make better coffee, because there is definitely a market for coffee people, just like there is for wine people, KWIM?

funny how this subject always comes up.. disney does everything fantastic, you'd think they would figure a way how to do coffee.. must be a reason they choose not to fix it.

We store a Keurig in our owner's locker and bring our favorite K-cups and creamer. After reading the previous suggestion of bringing your own pre- ground and filters I think I can free up some space in the locker. :)

funny how this subject always comes up.. disney does everything fantastic, you'd think they would figure a way how to do coffee.. must be a reason they choose not to fix it.

Probably something to do with the sponsorship of Nestle products... sort of like coca cola for carbonated sodas & bottled water products. (As well as Club Cool).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter