• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Coffee at resorts

madmar

Earning My Ears
Are there any Starbucks in or near any resorts. I don't care for disney coffee xcept for the cafe at contemporary

I could be wrong, but I think in the theme parks themselves, Starbucks has the sole proprietor lock on coffee.

At the resorts, you're stuck with Joffrey's save a few exceptions.

There is a Starbucks in each park, and one in Disney Springs.

One of the many reasons we love the Swan is that their in room coffee is Starbucks :)

In Disney's resorts (I don't know about Swan or Dolphin) there are no Starbucks. There is the Joffrey's that dispenses in the same place as the soda fountain. Although, the next option if you want to avoid Disney coffee is that in Value suites, and all Moderate and Deluxe rooms, there are coffee pots. So you could bring your own coffee and brew your own in your room. That's how we almost got our coffee intake on our last trip. We had our grounds just in case we couldn't stand the resort coffee.

I could be wrong, but I think in the theme parks themselves, Starbucks has the sole proprietor lock on coffee.

Nope. You're wrong. While there is a Starbucks in each of the parks, the coffee served in the rest of the park's restaurants (TS and CS) is Joffreys.

. Although, the next option if you want to avoid Disney coffee is that in Value suites, and all Moderate and Deluxe rooms, there are coffee pots. So you could bring your own coffee and brew your own in your room. That's how we almost got our coffee intake on our last trip. We had our grounds just in case we couldn't stand the resort coffee.

Except in the villas, the coffee makers are single cup Cuisinart's, which require the pod style coffee ground packs. (Not the Keurig cups). So bringing your own grounds and filters won't work.

You can google how to make your own paper coffee pods if you want to figure out how to brew your own coffee in the resort rooms. You just need some coffee, coffee filters and the bottom of a correctly sized drinking glass (to use to shape the filter and tamp down the coffee). It can get messy and I don't think its worth it.

The problem with the in-room coffee at Disney are the machines and not the paper pods. The paper pod format was invented primarily for single serve coffee machines that pump water through the pods under pressure (low pressure between 1 and 5 bars). While still popular in Europe, many of those machines are gone from the consumer/home market in North America (thanks to Keurig for killing them off). What remains are paper pod brewers designed like a regular drip machine. So, rather than pump water under pressure through a pod (which costs a lot of money to make), many cheaper machines (under $25) simply drip the water over the pod. The result of dripping the water over is very poor coffee extraction and weak and thin tasting coffee. The Cuisinart machines at Disney are designed for the hospitality industry and simply drip the water.

On my last trip to Disney (in November) I brought home about a half dozen Joffrey coffee pods left over in my room to brew in my pod brewer (which uses pressure). I have to say that it makes a pretty good cup of coffee when properly brewed.

I should add that I think starbucks has always been horrible coffee. I remember when United Airlines started pushing it when I was an employee and the bitter coffee is a bad memory.

Drove me nuts last trip not being able to get a decent latte at AKL (the only time I've ever thrown my morning coffee out!). I was referred to Kona cafe & it was ok. Not Starbucks, but far better than AKL's quick service.

You can google how to make your own paper coffee pods if you want to figure out how to brew your own coffee in the resort rooms. You just need some coffee, coffee filters and the bottom of a correctly sized drinking glass (to use to shape the filter and tamp down the coffee). It can get messy and I don't think its worth it.

The problem with the in-room coffee at Disney are the machines and not the paper pods. The paper pod format was invented primarily for single serve coffee machines that pump water through the pods under pressure (low pressure between 1 and 5 bars). While still popular in Europe, many of those machines are gone from the consumer/home market in North America (thanks to Keurig for killing them off). What remains are paper pod brewers designed like a regular drip machine. So, rather than pump water under pressure through a pod (which costs a lot of money to make), many cheaper machines (under $25) simply drip the water over the pod. The result of dripping the water over is very poor coffee extraction and weak and thin tasting coffee. The Cuisinart machines at Disney are designed for the hospitality industry and simply drip the water.

On my last trip to Disney (in November) I brought home about a half dozen Joffrey coffee pods left over in my room to brew in my pod brewer (which uses pressure). I have to say that it makes a pretty good cup of coffee when properly brewed.

This is really interesting, thanks for the info! I am always fascinated by different aspects of the coffee process.

Another portable alternative is an Aeropress. You can bring your own grounds and filters and use the pod brewer to make the hot water for it. It's cheap, and fits easily in a suitcase. It also has the advantage of not being breakable, unlike most French presses.

There's a coffee/snack counter inside the Shades of Green lobby that serves Starbucks. It's not somewhere I'd venture out of the way to go to though, especially if you're headed into a park where there's going to be a Starbucks anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter