Code Orange - How's Security?

mship

Earning My Ears
We leave tomorrow for Orlando and I'm a bit nervous about what new security procedures are in place with the code orange alert. Can anyone who's been to airport and the Disney or Universal Studios parks this week speak to this?

Thanks...:(

we were there just before the war and during it. Security was there but not obtrusive. there are no guarantees in life but i would not worry to much about. be aware but don't let it disrupt your well earned vacation.

in fact when we were in the park you could completely forget about the outside world. it really wasn't until we got back to the hotel room and put on the tv on that you knew what was going on.

enjoy...the real world will be here when you get back

John

Ditto John's remarks. We were also there prior to and at the start of the war...For weeks before our departure I was concerned to the point of perhaps cancelling the trip. My husband talked me out of it with his opinion that we can't hide for the rest of our lives. And John is right...while we were there we had no hint of what was going on, until a woman mentioned "the war" as we were sitting on the launch puttering back to the Poly on a beautiful clear, warm evening. My husband and I don't normally hide from reality, but we were trying very hard to make this an enjoyable family trip and not worry our kids...hence we kept the television shut off!
I found out later that a no-fly-zone had been placed over Disney...that knowledge would have comforted me a bit more. I read today that it has been reinstated for both WDW and Disneyland i.e. a 3.3 mile no-fly-zone has been approved over both parks. As for security, it was a bit more pronounced, with long lines (although quick moving) for bag searches, members of the Fla. Sheriff's Department patrolling on weekend evenings, and noticeably more security personnel in France at Epcot.
Have a wonderful trip...enjoy every minute!

So you were the one! But seriously...it was good to see so many people relaxed and enjoying themselves and their families around the parks despite what was going on in the "real world". A little down time from reality never hurts!

Just back from 10 days at WDW, and did 1 day at Universal. Basically the bag checks haven't changed since we were there in Oct. They made a show of checking bags, but my DH always has a small knife in a holder on his belt-no one said anything about that. We also did the Sunrise Safari one morning-went in through the back door via Disney bus with 38 other AKL concierge guests. No one on the tour had their bags checked at all. After the tour, the park had opened and we were on our own, in the park. As annual passholders our tickets weren't even scanned. We didn't have anything not allowed, but they would never have known. That was a little concerning to me. I.m going to write Disney about some theings and will mention that to them.

When we went earlier this year we had to wait in a few long lines to get into the parks a few times due to security. If you have PS, you might want to allow a little extra time.

They have a lot of improvements to increase the flow of bag checks and security at WDW. One obvious observation, would be the presence of permenent bag checking stations. There is also a phisical no bags line @ Magic Kingdom too. I have not waited in any security line for more than 1 minute since January. There are other security measures that they have implemented, but you don't see those.

As for the Airports, I just flew out of Orlando International, and again there are lots of bag checks and ticket checks everywhere you look. They checked my ticket 4 times until i even got on the tram to the terminal.

I am currently unaware of what Universal is doing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter