Code discrimination, inequality, or whatever you want to call it.

I also received a 40% off code via email. We are unable to use the discount when we go in July due to the dates that it is good for but I am taking advantage of it in September for 3 days when I am going with 2 of my friends. In July I am using the nurses discount at the Swan and Dolphin Resort. We have never stayed there so hope it is as nice as people say it is.

:surfweb:

Well, here’s the way I look at it. You’re not being punished and being “charged more” if you don’t get a code. They are a bonus. A perk. Random. A lottery, if you will. I receive coupons (Gymboree, Children’s Store, GAP, Old Navy, Sears, Best Buy, even Macy’s) for stores all the time that are mailed to small segments. The code is just a coupon. Great if you get one, nothing to cry about if you don’t. We go every year, have a Disney Visa, and APs. Last year I received four different code offers (two via snail mail postcard, two email, three packages, one room only). Never when we could go though. I took an AP discount (not advertised) for our travel dates. I also have received a code or two almost every other year for the past five years.

This year, I haven’t received a code at all for WDW; I’ve received two for DL. I just couldn’t take advantage of the bounce-back offer when we were there because I couldn’t at that time confirm when we would be able to travel, even with the advance warning. There were too many things in the air at that time.

BTW, don’t the bounce-back offers negate the theory that they don’t care about people who are already staying onsite? And they have only x amount of rooms. Do you really think Disney cares who (repeat or new) guests are booking these rooms? All money spends the same. If all new guests stay onsite, the rooms won’t be available for repeat guests and they will be the ones staying off site. And they may find out they like off site and the new guests may just be once-in-a-lifetime visitors. That theory could work heavily against Disney.

When I booked last year, the CM booking my ressie told me that there is always a discount available; you just have to have the right CM who is (1) willing to look and (2) knows where to look.

If we were vacationing anywhere else, we won’t expect a discount code. We’d be shopping around. Therefore, we budget/book as though we were paying full price. And discounts we receive are just an extra.

Here is a truly viable theory. Although, as I previously posted, I have received several discount codes over the years, and we do go yearly, I have never received a discount code when I currently hold a ressie. Disney would be smart to exclude people who are holding a current ressies from a targeted code campaign. You are, after all, saying you will pay a higher price to go already. Why would Disney want to just give you a break on something you already intend to buy? Booking early guarantees you your exact dates and room, but it might exclude you from a discount. Just a thought. That might also add back some of the "fairness".

I know everyone on this thread seems to be under the impression that the more frequently you visit Disney the less likely you are to get a code. I have been to Disney 30 times in 23 years. The majority of those trips have been in the last 5 years, with 4 trips in 2006 and 2 trips in 2007. I and my parents have been Annual Passholders multiple times AND I've received discount codes for several of my last 5 trips, I've also utilized AP codes, general public codes and have even received upgrades after checking in.

As an example:
In 2003 we had booked the "Fairytale Package" which was an incredible general public code. We were able to get 8 nights at Coronado Springs (waterview) for 2 adults and 2 juniors with unlimited park hopper passes for $1900.

When we checked into Coronado (the 3rd week in Aug) we were informed that a MASSIVE convention was taking up over 85% of the hotel and that for the next few days the Dig Site pool was being closed for private functions for this convention. We were offered a complimentary upgrade to a deluxe. We chose the Yacht Club and decided to move the next day.

On Aug 21st we were moved. We checked in to the Yacht Club at 11 and were told to call for our room at 3. We went out and enjoyed our day. After calling at 3 we were informed there wasn't a room ready and to call back at 4. Ok. Called at 4, no room, call at 5. Called at 5, no room. At this point we are getting frustrated. We go directly to the Yacht Club and discuss this with the front desk. They inform us that there is only a standard view room available. We had previously determined that we'd be getting a waterview room because that is what we paid for at Coronado and we were being moved because of an inconvenience. So, now we've spent 2 and a half hours waiting for our room. My dad was unhappy and spoke to a general manager. We were upgraded to Waterview Concierge.

Is this unfair? Were there people still staying at Coronado paying more that $1900 for their week and unable to use the pool? Yes. Were we now staying 7 nights at Yacht Club Concierge for $1900 while others were paying $5000+ for their room right next door. Yes.

This is the same idea as a mail out promotion. One person gets a fantastic deal, another pays full price.

This being said....codes are RANDOM. There is no magical "list" there is no way to be sure to get one. It is luck of the draw.

EDITED TO ADD: If you look at the "code demographic" poll on this very same board, you will see that 20% of the people that receive codes have been to WDW more than 9 times, and *most* of the other categories are sitting at 10 to 3%. Keeping in mind the sample of this poll is slightly skewed. Members of the DISboards are more likely to be repeat WDW visitors than say a general public sample and this accounts for the higher % in repeat visitors receiving codes. It appears that everyone across the board from 0 visits to 9+ have good odds of getting an elusive email code.

Disney doesn't want me to save money....somehow they have figured out that my family and I love to come to WDW and have decided that I shall never get a break!!! It is frustrating when you see others get phenomenal deals while I can't get a 1% discount!!!! They need to spread the wealth a little, I mean some people have gotten codes more than once:scared1:

Exactly!

Here is a truly viable theory. Although, as I previously posted, I have received several discount codes over the years, and we do go yearly, I have never received a discount code when I currently hold a ressie. Disney would be smart to exclude people who are holding a current ressies from a targeted code campaign. You are, after all, saying you will pay a higher price to go already. Why would Disney want to just give you a break on something you already intend to buy? Booking early guarantees you your exact dates and room, but it might exclude you from a discount. Just a thought. That might also add back some of the "fairness".

Except I have read numerous posts on this site, where a poster with an existing ressie received a code and called to have it applied.

BTW, don’t the bounce-back offers negate the theory that they don’t care about people who are already staying onsite? And they have only x amount of rooms. Do you really think Disney cares who (repeat or new) guests are booking these rooms? All money spends the same. If all new guests stay onsite, the rooms won’t be available for repeat guests and they will be the ones staying off site. And they may find out they like off site and the new guests may just be once-in-a-lifetime visitors. That theory could work heavily against Disney.

To an extent, except my understanding was even the bounceback isnt offered to everyone staying onsite at any given time...I thought even that promotion was random as well. Or did I misunderstand?

Except I have read numerous posts on this site, where a poster with an existing ressie received a code and called to have it applied.

I have too. But many of those times the person receiving the code did have to do at least *some* adjustments to their dates (or hotel). Granted, not always, but still... I'd say the majority of people aren't in that category.

To an extent, except my understanding was even the bounce back isn’t offered to everyone staying onsite at any given time...I thought even that promotion was random as well. Or did I misunderstand?

From what I read on here, and from what the CM told me there, it was offered to everyone. Not everyone received the flyer (depends on how diligent the CM at check-in was at handing them out), but it was advertised on the Resort TV network so the offer and phone number was there--you just had to call. The offer may have had a code, but they really just checked if you were dialing in from a resort phone. I did make a call to check on a couple of things--I really wanted to take advantage of that offer.

It's NOT unfair. It's Marketing and Data Mining.

Frequent visitors prove to Disney that they will essentially keep paying, hence, no need for a code. Infrequent, or people who have never been, need a bit more enticement.

Being in IT & marketing myself, I want to believe there is some formula at work, but I still question the "frequent visitor = no code" theory. We've all read accounts of guests who visit annually and almost always get a code. While my family DOES visit frequently, we've flown under Disney's "radar" for years. We should look like people who need enticement.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, we haven't stayed at a WDW hotel in 9 years. My mom purchases our tix with her AAA discount on her credit card, so as far as Disney is concerned, all we've done is dine at some of their restaurants and gone to a P&P party in 9 years. They also know we rent off-site because they ask when we make the ADRs.

We're definitely in the system, and they know we've had interest in staying on-site because we've made ressies and cancelled them almost every visit - anything from FW campsites to the Poly. I've also gotten saved many online offers, but never follow through on them. I keep thinking if we "ping" them frequently they'll throw us a bone, but nothing seems to work.

We are the perfect "on the fence" customers -- all it would take would be a little push to get us in a deluxe room, but they just aren't pushing!

While it would be nice if Disney did have some sort of loyalty program, I sincerely doubt the Marketing Department are sitting in their offices, rubbing their hands together and laughing evilly that they are not sending a code out to the Debster family this year. :lmao:

I don't think anyone said that. Just arguing the point that some people think it's random. Clearly, it's not.

Being in IT & marketing myself, I want to believe there is some formula at work, but I still question the "frequent visitor = no code" theory.

This is a mystery, but we've been yearly WDW guests since 2000, and in 2002, while I had a reservation already booked at the BC, WITH a general public code, a month before we went I got a postcard with another code! I called, applied it, and saved another $52 off the already discounted price!

Since then, no postcards, no codes attached to my name, nothing, and we haven't gone since 2006. I would think NOW's the time to send me a code, to get me back, as I'd always been a yearly visitor, and then stopped.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter