• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cochlear Implants at Disney?

JackOfHearts

Mouseketeer
Does anyone have advice for cochlear implant users at WDW? My two girls (ages 5 and 2) have bilateral CIs. It looks like they have ALDs for individuals with mild to moderate hearing loss for rent- would these work with CIs? Are they necessary for most attractions?

We have also booked appointments at the BBB. Is this something I should add to the reservation so the FGs are prepared? Usually when they get their hair cut we take one CI off and do that side and then switch so they can still hear with one side.

We are planning to have them wear headbands and Safe n' Sound straps to prevent loss but is there anything else I might not be thinking of?

There was recently an article on a travel blog about an implant coming loose on a coaster and the magnet clinging to the track. It might not be an issue at ages 5 & 2, but you might want to consider taking them off and storing them whenever necessary.

I would take them off if you are going on anything like Splash Mountain, so they don't get wet, and anything that they might ride that is rough or fast. At that age, it would be unlikely that they will ride crazy roller coasters, but I suppose there may be something. Mostly I would make sure they don't end up in the water on Splash Mountain!

The hair style used in BBB is a high tight ponytail. I am not sure what they do if they have short hair. If their hair is long, they will likely have to remove both CIs for the 2-3 minutes it takes them to pull the hair into the pony tail, but that would be it, and they could replace them right after.

Not sure if you saw but if you are staying onsite you can request visual and motion based aids. I can't imagine you'll be away from them in the event of an emergency but a bedshaker for them at night in case of a fire alarm going off may be something you want. It is a bookable category but also you can request it at check in.

I have a Baha 4 sound processor, and the only time it has come off on a roller coaster was at Camp Snoopy at Mall of America in Minnesota. Scared me half to death because it is my newest one. When it had popped off. I thought, "It's gone forever." When the ride had come back into the station. I found it on the floor of the car. Thank goodness. I also have a Baha Divino that I use as a backup. Definitely take it off on roller coasters, and any ride it can possibly get knocked off on. Especially ones that have a headrest, and can go fast.

Is the littlest one going to be 3 before the trip? If not, I'm not sure she can do BBB, the WDW site says that it is for guests between 3-12. Hopefully she will be old enough to enjoy what sounds like a wonderful trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter