Cochlear Implant at WDW

hamm1207

Alaskan DIS Veteran
We'll be traveling to WDW with my father who has a cochlear implant. This will be his first visit to WDW since receiving the CI. What all do I need to know?! What have your experiences been?

1. What rides can he ride? It's my understanding that he can't ride rides that will jar his head, as this may damage he internal portion of the device.
2. Do we need to stop by guest relations at every park for a CC type device--as he still doesn't catch everything that's said and uses CC when he can, or do we simply talk to a CM at the entrance to shows?

I've done a little reading on the WDW website, but I'd like to hear from people who have experienced it firsthand. Thanks!

I use hearing aids would love to have CI as I think that would be easier to hear with but because they class one of my ears as acceptable hearing whilst the other is severe loss I don't qualify on the NHS.
I don't go till October but have been looking into things already.

There is a handheld devise that you can pick up each day at guest relations (25 dollars refundable deposit you can't transfer parks with the same device) that will give you real time scripts on the moving rides and activates the cc in rides with screens.
Reflective captioning in the theatre shows you apparently just speak to the cast member on the attraction so your seated in the right place.
The problem I've has so far is sorting out my Disney hotel room for hearing adaption but I think that because I'm in the UK so can't speak to the usual disability number so end up having 3 way conversations with Disney UK travel.

I'm pretty nervous about the airports, because of the noisy environment the overhead announcements and boarding calls are gobbledygook to me.

My son has a bone anchored hearing aid implant--it is made by cochlear but *not* a cochlear implant. It's a titanium peg and a magnet in his head. We were told that once osseointegration occurred, he's pretty much good to go for almost everything.

My advice would be to talk to his audiologist before you come to make sure the rides aren't a problem. They know that equipment well and know what it should be able to handle. My personal feeling is that pretty much everything at Disney is tame enough that it shouldn't be a problem, but I don't know a lot about the internal components of a cochlear implant. I'd worry the most about rock n roller coaster, as the shoulder bars come down around the head and he could potentially bang his head, possibly damaging something. Mission Space possibly as well.

How long has he had it? That might make a difference.

Some shows have reflective CC such as Muppets and Hall of Presidents so you just ask a CM when entering. Pick up a disability guide at Guest Services as it tells you which kind of CC is used. The devices can help with listening too, but I'm not how it works as I'm not familiar with that feature.

Use cash as deposit for the devices so you'll spend less time in GS. I wouldn't bother picking one up at Animal Kingdom as there's only two rides that it works for. Talk to a CM and demand the claw thing for the device at Star Tours and if they don't know what you're talking about, make them get their manager who should know. I had clueless CMs who kind of ruined the ride for me because they didn't know anything and only the guy at the exit knew about it after I told him that the CC didn't work.

Ymmv, I have a lot of friends with CIs who have no qualms about doing wild rides. Not sure if it's the best idea but... The rides should be fine at Disney as I haven't had my head hit anything yet on the wilder rides like rock n roll coaster. I'm on blood thinners so it's a concern for me too.

Just tell the hotel when you check in or pop by the concierge if you did online check in to tell them you need the hearing loss accessible devices. I got a knocker and visual alarm, passed on the TTY.

PM me for more info if you'd like. There's things that I would prefer to not post in public.

My daughter has one cochlear implant and one bone anchored hearing aid. We take her devices off before any of the big rides or rides with water. Unless it is a really rough ride our audiologist said roller coasters were OK.

We always tried to made sure to sit up front at the shows as Anna needs to be close to the sound and close to the performers so she could read lips and interpret body language. We didn't try the handheld device, but it might have been useful in some of the bigger shows as she couldn't always follow what was happening even being up front.

Thank you everyone for the replies!! As of right now, my dad is planning on avoiding the roller coasters, but he's going to look up all of the rides online and talk to his audiologist before we head out. He plans on asking the audiologists if he's okay to do the roller coasters.

My son (10) also has a cochlear implant - a Nucleus 5. What do you recommend doing on the water rides? I'm planning on keeping a plastic ziploc baggie with us so we can take off his cochlear and hearing aid (removable - not anchored) when he gets on a ride. Do you think that will be enough?

My son (10) also has a cochlear implant - a Nucleus 5. What do you recommend doing on the water rides? I'm planning on keeping a plastic ziploc baggie with us so we can take off his cochlear and hearing aid (removable - not anchored) when he gets on a ride. Do you think that will be enough?
I usually take a smaller Tupperware/Rubbermaid container for DH's. He would just stuff them in his pocket but I am paranoid and want a little more protection for expensive equipment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter