Coca-Cola Freestyle Machine?

From the articles, it looks like they are still touch-screen although the articles say they had to modifiy them to comply with marine health environment codes. You will need to buy the soda package that comes with a special souvenir cup that contains a Radio Frequency Identification Device that will allow passengers to use the machines. I am not a big fan of multiple flavors anyway, but I imagine that RCCL is using this as a means to entice more people to buy the soda package. I always feel that the RCCL soda package is overpriced, but I have seen many purchase it on the first day of the cruise especially for the kids; even though most of the previous commenters on this thread seem to make more healthy choices for their kids with their drinks. If this succeeds in increasing revenue for RCCL, then it will continue and will probably be added to other cruise ships. Just how it all works in the cruise industry. Not sure how it would work on DCL as they have soda in their drink machines at no cost.

In regards to it being touch screen, not sure if there will be modifications to help with so many touching it and spreading germs. Maybe they will make everyone use the handi-wipes/sanitizer before touching. Just have to be mindful, same as everyone touching the the serving spoons in the buffet or touching the pepper and saltshakers on the tables. When I was on a Princess cruise that had an outbreak, they removed all the pepper and saltshakers from the tables. The waiters had to put it on for you and they did all the serving at the buffets. In addition, all the bedspreads were removed from all the rooms on the ship. Lots of things I had previously never thought of being germ-conscious about.

So if you are allergic or germ-conscious, this is probably something that you will not opt to purchase, but there will be plenty of others who will want to try it. I will be interested in seeing how it works when I go on the Explorer of the Seas next summer if it has been installed on that ship by then. Whether it is a novelty or here to stay, only time will tell.

I may be in the minority, but I hope they don't install them. I have used them in various restaurants (Firehouse Subs, Moe's, Salsarita's, etc.) The issue is only one customer can use it at a time. And everyplace I have seen the machines, it also was the only way to get ice. So I had to stand in a line of 4 or 5 people during a lunch time rush, while each person had to press a few buttons to get their drink. Then you get the person who doesn't understand the machine, and it takes them a bit to figure it out. It just takes too long, and all I wanted was ice for my tea. My fear on the ship is that there will always be a line to get a drink, even if they separate the ice to a different area.

We have them in our moes, and they have a second machine that does water and ice...:)

It should be fine as long as they install 4-6. Most of the time when I get a drink at the drink station there is only 2-3 other people there.

My concern with them goes along with those people who have mentioned being able to taste hints of other flavors. I am allergic to all things raspberry and any traces of it left over from a previous user would be a huge problem for me. The machine is a no go for me for that reason.

I am actually surpraised how well they work, never have gotten a hint of anything and if it really worried someone just run it a second or two before you put your cup in it.

No but the firehouse sub restaurants have them also.

No way! Our Firehouse Subs just has the traditional regular fountain!

Agree! And whoever designed it did NOT have a 5 it old!! That is a nightmare trying to get a 5 yr old to pick a drink!!

Yeah, like you said, there would be no choice. It would be A or B. Or if Little Suzy said she wanted cherry limeade, she would get Crystal Light, and she would like it. Lol, I am going to be such a bad parent.

I would like if they have more choices. I like the Mexican Coke made with real cane sugar rather than the highly processed corn sugar.

I am actually surpraised how well they work, never have gotten a hint of anything and if it really worried someone just run it a second or two before you put your cup in it.

Unfortunately from experience, that does NOT always work. So like I said before, the machine is a no go for me.

Unfortunately from experience, that does NOT always work. So like I said before, the machine is a no go for me.

In all the times I have used them....we have had it around for over a year now in our area and use to eat there almost weekly and never once had an issue and I don't like to have mixed flavors.

The machines are the best and are great because there is more caffeine options than normal which is great. I hope they end up everywhere. From what we have heard Coke is planning on switching pretty much all restarantes over to them in the coming years. They have been proven very sucessful.

The AMC in downtown disney has like 10 of them its crazy!

In all the times I have used them....we have had it around for over a year now in our area and use to eat there almost weekly and never once had an issue and I don't like to have mixed flavors.

The machines are the best and are great because there is more caffeine options than normal which is great. I hope they end up everywhere. From what we have heard Coke is planning on switching pretty much all restarantes over to them in the coming years. They have been proven very sucessful.

The AMC in downtown disney has like 10 of them its crazy!

That's great that you have never had an issue with them and I am not doubting what you you say, but nothing is 100% fail proof. I don't have to be able to taste the mixed flavors to have issues. The slightest amount of raspberry, and I am talking very small, whether I can taste it or not will cause me serious problems. For those of us who have to be ever aware if cross contamination issues, the machine is not worth the risk. If Coke plans on switching most restaurants over to them, that is their choice and I am fine with that. I will just choose a drink that isn't dispensed from the machine.

That's great that you have never had an issue with them and I am not doubting what you you say, but nothing is 100% fail proof. I don't have to be able to taste the mixed flavors to have issues. The slightest amount of raspberry, and I am talking very small, whether I can taste it or not will cause me serious problems. For those of us who have to be ever aware if cross contamination issues, the machine is not worth the risk. If Coke plans on switching most restaurants over to them, that is their choice and I am fine with that. I will just choose a drink that isn't dispensed from the machine.

Are you even sure that the rasperry syrup has actual raspberry in...most of the syrups are artifial flavored

I love these machines - first saw then in Duane Reede and Walgreens in NYC and now they are in more and more restaurants.

The best for me is the numerous caffeine free options that are available. In a typical fountain machine there are no caffeine free options, especially if looking for a diet one.

They also have a variety of Fanta options like Fanta grape zero which is now my favorite drink.

Have not had any cross-contamination issues so far that I have noticed. I do notice the first time people use them it takes them a bit longer than usual, but it is easy to learn.

I don't see these machines on the ships. Right now, you touch your own cup, but not the machine. With the freestyle machine, you have to touch the screen. I don't see them switching.

I guess some of the kids I have seen using the drink machines onboard haven't been on your cruises? They usually hold the cup around the top and their fingers get between the cup & the lever that has to be pressed to dispense the drink. :sad2:

Are you even sure that the rasperry syrup has actual raspberry in...most of the syrups are artifial flavored

Guess what...I can't have either artificial or natural raspberry flavor. I really don't feel the need to have to explain my allergy and have you question what I say any further so I am done discussing this with you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter