Coaster freaks HELP!!

Motherfletcher

<font color=red>Proud Redhead<br><font color=peach
I'm giving my kids the gift of a Coaster Christmas this year. We will hit Montu, Kraken and Hulk in 3 days. The biggest deal for them is that I am going to ride one with them. The last/only coaster I've rode is Big Thunder Mt. Railroad. I hated it! That was several years ago and I still remember the horror. My question to the coaster crowd is which one should I do? My kids would be thrilled if I did Woody. What drugs (legal) do I take? Does any have a defibulator?:guilty: :upsidedow :scared1: :crazy2: :faint:

Most of the big coasters are a lot smoother than u think but if in doubt keep those eyes closed then 2 minutes later its over
:jester:

Hulk has a launch at the very beginning - not sure if you're going to like that!! Kraken is similar, but without the launch. No really big hills - just lots of loops :) Pretty tame, I think, for someone who hates coasters. The closer to the front you are, the less "wild" of a ride you will have. I've never been on Montu - maybe others have and can comment.

Good luck!! Your kids will be thrilled! This will be a memory that will last them a lifetime!! :)

As a great coaster and probably the smoothest around my recommendation would be Kracken. To get the most "balanced" ride you should sit in the middle of the car eg. row 4 or 5. Mind you my favorite is Montu especially the front or the back row! For a woody there is only Gwazi at Busch. Both tracks (if they are running) are good but woodies rattle and bang alot so be prepared!

Try and have fun anyway!

They have Dramamine, I think that's right, for motion sickness if that's your problem. Otherwise, there's ether.

Gwazi Lion is probably the tamest of the two woodies at BGT. Otherwise, I'd say Kraken is the most tolerable of the big steels.

Keep those eyes open and sit in the front row!!!!!!!! Being able to see where you are going decreases the amount of motion sickness you get. it is like sitting in the back seat of the car and not being able to watch the road ahead. If you leave an hour or so between rides you should be just fine. Don't let them talk you into riding the coasters in quick succession, just take your time. Half a dramamine taken about half an hour before the first coaster does help.

I thought i was being called out. At rideworld.com and coasterbuzz my nick is coaster-freak. Well on to your question.

I have ridden all three coasters several times, and they are made by the same company called B&M. For the most smoothest and fun i would head for Kraken, it is as smooth as glass. It is the most well balanced coaster of the three, plus most of the times the ride does not have a long ride (i got in 10 rides in one day).

Hulk on the other hand has a great beginning but the end fizzles. Montu is another great coaster, but for me i like kraken. Sit in the front because the illusion that your feet might tough the track is a great effect. Have Fun!!

I think DD would be better as it doesn't have the quick launch and it is really smooth. I would try that first and if you like it try the Hulk. Be careful with the dramamine though. I tried some last summer for a trip and it made me really tired and I got grumpy from being tired. I know that they have non drowsy kinds but I have never tried them. The newer coasters are much much smoother than the old ones like Big thunder mountain.

My kids would be thrilled if I did Woody.

I think MotherFletcher was talked about riding the Woody "kiddy" rollercoaster at Universal, not big wooden rollercoasters LOL!!

I guess it's unanimous - Kraken it is! Make sure you go to Seaworld early in your vacation so you're not panicking all week thinking about it..... :)

Let the kids pick...Make sure we get to see the picture!:scared1:

Single digits Jess!:Pinkbounc :bounce:

I would let the kids pick but they would definitely choose the one that would kill me and laugh all the way to ER as I clutch my chest.
2. We have never rode Kraken and it sounds like the ride of choice.
I have heard that tired thing about dramamine and I intend to do whatever I do the first thing in the morning. My doctor just gave me some diet pills and upped my wellbutrin. Maybe I can mix medications and get a fine buzz on for the trip to ER.
I have 19 days to sweat, fret and regret.
If I'm going to do it I think I should go whole hog and sit in the front. That way if I hurl I can share it with everyone.

It's time to tell the tale again!

How I Learned to Love Roller Coasters and Stop Worrying About the Beast

The TV news show "Inside Edition" reported that your chances of getting into a fatal roller coaster accident are 1 in 10 million. Yet, every time I thought about riding one, I thought that I would die.
I used to avoid riding roller coasters. I chickened out on Space Mountain at the Magic Kingdom. I avoided Busch Gardens Tampa for years. If I didn't ride the roller coasters, I didn’t think I could do much else at that theme park. I did ride Big Thunder Mountain at the Magic Kingdom and I was terrified. I swore to never do it again!

That all changed when I visited Islands of Adventure in May 1999. I initially planned to avoid riding the roller coasters. My main draw to the park was one ride – The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man. I passed by the Incredible Hulk Coaster many times thinking, "I'll save it for later." Finally, I decided to ride it.

I almost ran away from the entrance, but I thought of what my mom said when I wouldn't eat lima beans -- "How do you know if you don't like it if you haven't tried it?" I never ate my lima beans and I still haven’t put them in my mouth, but I figured I'd ride the roller coaster once and if I didn't like it, I'd ride something else. There are plenty of other things to do at the park!

I entered the queue and I felt my heart pounding, my skin crawling, and my breath becoming shorter. Finally, I entered the coaster and was strapped in. I felt more scared than any other time in my life. It was scarier than my first date! As the car rolled into the launch tube, I want to cry. Then guests seated in the back of the coaster started yelling, "Whoo!" I began to yell "Whoo!" too. Suddenly, my fear turned into excitement and I was launched out!

I yelled "Whoo!" so much that my voice was harsh after the ride. I don't remember much of what the track looked like because I kept my eyes closed (especially during the upside-down parts), but I was having so much fun that I didn’t really care. At the end of the ride, I said, "What a rush!" At that moment, a roller coaster enthusiast was born!

I had planned to ride the Hulk Coaster zero times, but I ended up riding it seven times. I finally conquered the Magic Kingdom’s Space Mountain. I visited Busch Gardens Tampa a few months after visiting Islands of Adventure and enjoyed the coasters there. I’ve visited Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio – the roller coaster mecca – several times as well as many other roller coaster parks around the United States. I’ve joined the American Coaster Enthusiasts and the Florida Coaster Club. Even though I’ve ridden the tallest and fastest coaster in the world – Cedar Point’s Top Thrill Dragster – as my 100th coaster, I haven’t found a roller coaster that gave me a rush like my first ride on the Incredible Hulk Coaster, but I find joy in each and every one that I ride.

Perhaps one day I will have the courage to eat lima beans

I say if you are going to do it, go all out. I would ride the Hulk, hands down!!!!.....or up actually.:p

I would much rather go on a smooth roller coaster that goes upside down with shoulder restraints than a coaster without the shoulder restraints that has the climb up the hill and gigantic drop. Lack of shoulder restraints really scare me--I feel like I am going to fall out and die! Not a good feeling. Therefore, I love Dueling Dragons and can repeat that lots of times in a row. The last time we were on Hulk it was very bumpy.

T&B

My SIL is a coaster-phobe,a nd I'm a recent convert (2001). This year I rode them all thinking "could she do this?" and decided Kraken would be the one, if any.

It depends on what you are scared of.

If it's the hanging precariously at the top - then do Hulk first as its all happening before you realize it. If it's the motion sickness, then definitely Kraken as it's so smooth. Montu is wonderful - feels like you are flying - but there's quite a lot of dropping. Fab if you like that sort of thing.

I found DD a bit wild and my head was rattling afterwards, but maybe that's because we rode 4x with no wait between :teeth: .

I don't do ones with no shoulder restraints - except the kiddy ones and the small drop ones like Space mountain and BTMRR. Been on Gwazi twice (the second time to make sure) and I really hated it.

BTW my SIL did Space Mountain, and Rock n Rollercoaster twice, but there was no getting her on the real big ones.

Oh, and don't close your eyes whatever you do - it makes it far too scary and nauseating.

Have fun! Scream lots - it really helps!

edie-
I was talking to an attendant at DD. He had to be 60 yo and he said that he rode it 12 times in a row. I am only going to do ONE. Unless I get the devine revelation from lima beans. I don't like any of the affects like dropping, spinning, going fast, being unrestrained, floorless, speed ... I'm getting naseaus.

I was thinking Kraken but that lasts for 3 minutes! That is twice as long as others!

Kraken has a pretty big drop a the beginning if that freaks you out. I would agree with doing the Hulk, but DS(coaster maniac) says Kraken, no doubt about it, for sure, it is so incredible, yadda, yadda, yadda. Personally, I liked Kraken but it is not on the top of my list. I like biiiiiiiiiiiiggggggggggg drops and don't really like going upside down. Apollo's Chariot, Millenium Force, etc. are my kind of coasters.

Motherfletcher, I had to laugh at your post--60 year old ride attendant? That's ancient! lol My sister is 60yo (I'm the baby in the family) and we rode DD quite a few times together last April. Not in a row, but over the course of several days. When at MGM a year or so before, we rode on Tower of Terror 13 times in the 2 days that we were there. We could have done it more and need to plan our next sans children trip. We dream about retiring and working at ToT. She's close to retirement and I'm nowhere near there, but it sure is a fun dream.

T&B

Originally posted by Motherfletcher
I was thinking Kraken but that lasts for 3 minutes! That is twice as long as others!
A good portion of that 3 minutes is the climb on the chain. Remember that. If you do Hulk, you wont have to worry, as there is no chain, and you only go up the launch tube about halfway before you go flying into the sky.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter