Coast to Coast 2016 Dopey and Rebel Challenge+5K

GrandAdmiralStrife

DisDad #744
Title says it all, has anyone here done all 7 races last year? If so, how did your body deal with it, and how did you plan your flights?

I drove down from Michigan to WDW and arrived on Wednesday (open day for the expo), did my race per day at WDW, spent most of the time not racing in my hotel room battling sickness. Recovered and played in the parks on Monday and Tuesday (floating in the lazy river at Typhoon Lagoon with my Dopey medal was pretty sweet). I flew MCO to LAX first flight out the following Wednesday. Spent the balance of Wednesday and Thursday playing in the California parks, did the races and probably stayed up too late and ate too much food, and caught the Red Eye back to MCO on Sunday night. Met up with some friends that were carpooling with me and drove back to MI after landing in Orlando.

If I were able to switch things around, I would have flown down to Florida and then straight home from California, but work prevented me from doing that. I would most certainly fly back on Monday (or even Tuesday) instead of the Sunday Red Eye.

But the bling was worth it.

I haven't but I know I've read of someone who did pretty much every race last year except for the castaway cay challenge because they wanted to go run inaugural Star Wars.

Flight Plans:
In 2014, I took a daytime flight from CA to WDW on Tuesday, the day before the expo. I stayed in WDW until the following Thursday and then took an early flight to Disneyland Resort (Tinker Bell 5K, 10K, Half Expo day). I flew home Monday with two very full checked bags... and 9 medals in my carry on bag :)

In 2015, I took the red eye from CA to WDW, arriving the Saturday before race week. I stayed through the WDW race weekend and returned home late Tuesday night. I flew to the Star Wars races on Thursday morning (Expo day) and returned home Monday evening, with only a carry on ... and 11 medals :)

Health:
The only day I felt unwell was the day after taking the red eye. Even though I arrived five days before the first race, feeling poorly after the red eye 'ruined' the first day and was not worth it.

I trained well for all of the races and had no trouble. I walked all of the days before, between, and after the races. I felt good to great, and think the walking helped my recovery.

2016:
If I can save up enough vacation days, I will not come home between Dopey and Star Wars in 2016. It saves me money (only three flights instead of 2 round trips) and allows for true vacationing between races. Coming home between races felt rushed. However, with coming home between race weekends, I certainly enjoyed not having to bring two weeks worth of luggage to the second race weekend.

My ideal plan:
Be healthy
Train well
Arrive (at least) the day before the expo
Stay until (at least) the day following the last race
Keep to my usual sleep schedule (as much as possible).

Hope to see you at the races!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter