Coast Guard to Suspend Search For Missing Fl. Teens

It is very sad and heartbreaking. After all this time I don't think many believe they could still be alive.

The idea of 2 14 year old children taking a fishing trip from Florida to the Bahamas shocks me though. We arrest parents in this country for allowing their children to walk to a park down the street alone.

It is very sad and heartbreaking. After all this time I don't think many believe they could still be alive.

The idea of 2 14 year old children taking a fishing trip from Florida to the Bahamas shocks me though. We arrest parents in this country for allowing their children to walk to a park down the street alone.
I think, the Bahama trip was speculation. The boys weren't allowed to take the boat into the ocean.

I have been thinking about these families all day today knowing more than likely the search would be called off and it was outside of their own crowd funded search which will continue.I can't imagine being one of these parents. My DD flew home tonight from being out of town. Holding her close!!

They may not have been allowed, but they did anyway.

We all made stupid choices in our youth. Unfortunately it had horrifying results. My heart bleeds for the families, I can't even imagine the pain.

Hopefully the crowd funded search won't result in any further tragedy (I have visions of a scene like that below from the first "Jaws" film, where amateur sailors go out after a bounty and create a risky frenzy on the water).

601px-Jaws_114.jpg

Hopefully the crowd funded search won't result in any further tragedy (I have visions of a scene like that below from the first "Jaws" film, where amateur sailors go out after a bounty and create a risky frenzy on the water).

601px-Jaws_114.jpg

ITA it may not be the best thing but I can't blame the parents. I think I would sit on a boat looking until the end of the world if it was my child.

My cousin was lost at sea, off Grand Turk Island. He was fishing with friends when a storm popped up. A couple of the guys survived. My aunt never recovered from the loss. It haunted her, until the day she died.

They may not have been allowed, but they did anyway.

I live in Jupiter, and there is a lot of misinformation being spread through the news and Facebook. These kids fished the Intercoastal and Loxahatchee River practically from birth, and the rules their parent's set were they were not to go beyond the mouth of the inlet into open ocean. But, 14 year olds will be 14 year olds, and nobody really knows what their intentions were. There is no way those kids would have ever tried to take a 19 ft boat to the Bahamas though, not with their salty background, and especially with the daily storms that have been cropping up here for the past couple of weeks. They were too smart for that. A local fisherman saw them heading out of the inlet when he was coming in because of the approaching storms. I think the foolishness of youthful invincibility clouded their judgement. My heart breaks for their families, and my whole community. Our town has really come together over this, and it has raised a lot of awareness of how important PLBs are.

I live in Jupiter, and there is a lot of misinformation being spread through the news and Facebook. These kids fished the Intercoastal and Loxahatchee River practically from birth, and the rules their parent's set were they were not to go beyond the mouth of the inlet into open ocean. But, 14 year olds will be 14 year olds, and nobody really knows what their intentions were. There is no way those kids would have ever tried to take a 19 ft boat to the Bahamas though, not with their salty background, and especially with the daily storms that have been cropping up here for the past couple of weeks. They were too smart for that. A local fisherman saw them heading out of the inlet when he was coming in because of the approaching storms. I think the foolishness of youthful invincibility clouded their judgement. My heart breaks for their families, and my whole community. Our town has really come together over this, and it has raised a lot of awareness of how important PLBs are.
The boat was found 77 miles offshore. They were too smart to not take off for the Bahamas but not smart enough to heed all the marine warnings, as well as head into the open ocean right as a severe storm moved in?

I know I don't live near the water so maybe don't know what's typical. But I'm on my 3rd trip through raising a 14 year old, and I know that even the best of them are impulsive at times. I can't even imagine allowing them out in a boat alone, even with the limitations on how far they were supposed to go.

What a terrible tragedy.

Very sad. I can't imagine that even if they survived the capsizing & went into the water with vests that they had access to fresh water. :(

The boat was found 77 miles offshore. They were too smart to not take off for the Bahamas but not smart enough to heed all the marine warnings, as well as head into the open ocean right as a severe storm moved in?

That's what I meant about 14 year old lack of maturity. The gulf stream rips very strong off our coast. You would be shocked at how fast a disabled boat would fly right up the east coast of the United States in no time. They could have been dumped right offshore easily in that type of boat, and then all bets would be off for drifting. It's so heartbreaking for the parents, but there is a huge undertaking of privately funded searching going on by air/land and sea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter