Coach, question about hydration

robynslp

Mouseketeer
You posted around Marathon weekend time a brilliant explanation about knowing you have over hydrated and how to deal with it. I can't find it and would really like the info to share with my husband who is starting race training.

Thanks that helps, but what I'm really looking for was some information he gave about if you do over hydrate. What it feels like, what to do with sloshing stomach, etc. it was a great post.

After coming back to the hotel from the full Disney marathon this year I felt pretty bloated,after mile 5 or so I was getting water and powerade at every stop,add on about 5-6 Gu gels,2 Gu chomps,2 energy beans,bananas,bottles of water and powerade and the food box they give you at the finish line and I was not feeling like drinking or eating anything for several hours after.A question about the salt packets,that article posted mentioned eating a salt packet at the beginning of the race and another one towards the end of the race,another thread posted here a while back was saying the salt packets were not a good idea,I forgot why but would like to know for sure,salt packets,Yay or Nay?

Been hit and miss on the forum as I work through my move.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=47135409&highlight=sloshing#post47135409

Not sure if this is the post you referred to or not.

For a person setting off on their first endurance event, I highly suggest learning the proper hydration rate. The best method is to weigh before dressing pre-run and then track all liquid intake. Then after your run, disrobe, dry and reweigh. The difference in weight, if any, will tell you how well you are hydrating. Ideally, the run in which you weigh will be an hour run so you can lock into your ounce per hour rate (or at least the math is easier with an hour). If you weigh less post run, then you are not hydrating enough. On the other hand, if you weigh more, then you are taking in a little too much. Water weighs about 8 pounds per gallon or about a half pound per cup (8 oz). So if you are about a half pound off, then adjust your intake about 8 ounces per hour.

Personal hydration rates will vary with effort, temperature, humidity, dress, sunlight and illness. Trying this change of weight workup a few times per season will help focus you in on the proper rate.

With regard to salt packets... I am probably the one who wrote suggesting that one not use a simple salt packet. More than likely, the article is written from an old school perspective when it was not good form to ever walk in a race either. THere is enough science developed through studies suggesting that one really should ingest a variety of electrolytes, not just sodium chloride. Likewise, a shot of salt in a race may create a huge GI issue as the stomach tries to reject the 'substance' that is attempting to pull significant fluid from the body while the body is under stress. A better solution is to look to carrying a buffered electrolytic capsule like Endurolytes. These are well buffered and have a balanced electrolytic panel. THough NOTE, I would not take in a supplemental electrolyte unless I knew I was pouring out more than normal. Generally a quick test is to look at your running shorts after a long run. If they have a white crusty salt residue, then a supplemental cap may be in order. If not, then a sport drink and sport fuel will carry in more than enough electrolytes under normal race day conditions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter