Cnd perspective on UG versus TGM

jeannief

Mouseketeer
Okay, I know there are a lot of threads on this topic over on the attractions forum, but I'm trying to look for more input.
I bought the Unofficial Guide ($28 cnd) and was planning on signing up on their website for the enhanced touring plans. We've kind of planned our days around the best/worst suggestions, but not entirely.
Last year we went to WDW for 3 1/2 days with NO planning whatsoever. the first I saw of what each park looked like was when we walked in and grabbed the park map. :blush:
Now that we realize how big the place is and how much there is to see, we've got some plans. Our ADRs are made (we're on the dining plan), I have each park day designated and now I'm thinking about actual touring plans. I really don't want to spend $23 US and $7 US for both the TGM and UG plans, especially since the TGM ones seem to be based on learning more. I'm not knocking it, I'm just wondering how much MORE work it will be and if it will make me re-think all my adrs, etc.
For anyone whose used the UG plans from the website, did you find them sufficient? My gut is telling me it is time of day more than park day that will impact our enjoyment, and we have 7 full days in the parks. The tgm $ could be spend on souveniers, snacks, beers, etc. :)
Am I crazy? We leave in 4 weeks, DH, 2 boys and me.
thanks!

jeannief said:
Okay, I know there are a lot of threads on this topic over on the attractions forum, but I'm trying to look for more input.
I bought the Unofficial Guide ($28 cnd) and was planning on signing up on their website for the enhanced touring plans. We've kind of planned our days around the best/worst suggestions, but not entirely.
Last year we went to WDW for 3 1/2 days with NO planning whatsoever. the first I saw of what each park looked like was when we walked in and grabbed the park map. :blush:
Now that we realize how big the place is and how much there is to see, we've got some plans. Our ADRs are made (we're on the dining plan), I have each park day designated and now I'm thinking about actual touring plans. I really don't want to spend $23 US and $7 US for both the TGM and UG plans, especially since the TGM ones seem to be based on learning more. I'm not knocking it, I'm just wondering how much MORE work it will be and if it will make me re-think all my adrs, etc.
For anyone whose used the UG plans from the website, did you find them sufficient? My gut is telling me it is time of day more than park day that will impact our enjoyment, and we have 7 full days in the parks. The tgm $ could be spend on souveniers, snacks, beers, etc. :)
Am I crazy? We leave in 4 weeks, DH, 2 boys and me.
thanks!

Personally, I am a type A vacation planner and rarely ,if ever, buy tour books or travel guides (for disney or any other vacation). I've found that info on mousesavers, allears.net, and disboards.com, are more valuable and up to date than any guide books. I'm sure others here can suggest more websites and touring plan info. I sometimes borrow some guidebook to take with me on my travels, but that's probably not needed by the time I'm done with the research anyway....

For Disney, I also found that time of day and common sense mean a lot more to our enjoyment, than following a strict ride-by-ride itinerary. Generally, go early, and tour counterclockwise around the park, and do what you can 'off peak', and don't forget to have fun :-)

I am a planner for Disney of OCD proportions. That means if I can plan it i do. It is almost so bad that I have lists of lists :blush:
I have used UG guide book but not the website. And toured commando style. That worked. They gave us a plan and we followed it. We stayed out of the crowds and did many of the rides that we wanted to but ......
I also found we were exhausted by the end of the trip.
With TGM, you get an understanding of the principles of WHY you are touring in a particular way.
You make up your own tour plans to suit your family and their needs and STILL stay away from the crowds and are not exhausted
You get up to the minute information so that you can change your plans accordingly.
Both are good resources but I like TGM best

I wish I would have signed up as soon as we decided to go to Disney for out 1st trip in Decemver 05... BUT I didn't think I needed it .
ANYWAY in September I decided to give it a try and LOVED :thumbsup2 it and it helped us alot ... we never waited in live for anything. It was a very relaxing vacation. :banana: :cheer2:

I got TGM for our upcoming trip at the end of the month and I wish I had known about him our first trip! I think it is worth the money.
A friend of mine used him a few months ago and said it was an awesome trip because they didn't have to wait in lines or under 5 minutes. She was very pleased!

thanks everyone, now I just need to figure out if I have the time to learn about TGM, we leave in 3 weeks!

dangler said:
I got TGM for our upcoming trip at the end of the month and I wish I had known about him our first trip! I think it is worth the money.
A friend of mine used him a few months ago and said it was an awesome trip because they didn't have to wait in lines or under 5 minutes. She was very pleased!

What does TGM stand for? :blush:

Last year I discovered Tour Guide Mike about 4 weeks before our summer trip. It was a lot of information to go through but soooooo worth it. I had read EVERY guidebook prior to this and I found his information to be simply the best (remember guidebooks are published months in advance whereas his info is update DAILY). In many cases his advice goes against much of what the guidebooks tell you and when you read why it completely makes sense. Also, he gives you tips on where to sit for the shows and parades (we had amazing seating for Wishes, Spectro and other seated attractions like Philharmagic etcc) and all kinds of other important tips to save you time and money. We never waited in line more than 10 min even though there were 90 min waits posted. When you think about how much your vacation costs spending an extra $20 is well worth the benefits. I would not go to WDW again without using TGM.

Pop Century Aug '06
Disney Wonder / Vero Beach March '06
POFQ Aug '05

Plus numerous trips to Disneyland 1972-1992

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter