CM's what happened?

If you pay a lower rate of pay you don't get the same quality of people to choose from for those positions as if you paid a higher rate. You get fewer people willing to take those jobs, so you can't be as fussy about who you hire. I'm kind of dealing with that at my job right now, so trust me, having a low rate of pay makes a difference.

I am a HR Mgr and working on budgets for next year. We are bumping up pay rates (which were well above minimum wage) because the qualified candidates are being lured away by other companies for more money.

You should never accept sub par worked because the job is low paid. That is bad for the long term prospects of the company and isn't helping the employee get ahead either. A minimum wage employee who works hard may be promoted but one who does the bare minimum is a self fulfilling prophecy.

However people flock to Florida to work at Disney. They have a much bigger pool of applicants and can be choosy.

I am a HR Mgr and working on budgets for next year. We are bumping up pay rates (which were well above minimum wage) because the qualified candidates are being lured away by other companies for more money.

You should never accept sub par worked because the job is low paid. That is bad for the long term prospects of the company and isn't helping the employee get ahead either. A minimum wage employee who works hard may be promoted but one who does the bare minimum is a self fulfilling prophecy.

However people flock to Florida to work at Disney. They have a much bigger pool of applicants and can be choosy.

Thats the way it used to be. Disney, like many other large corporations, have gone the way of preferring to hire part timers, while expanding the college program with temporary workers to save on benefits for a bigger return for the stock holders. Nothing wrong with that, but when you have part timers and temporary workers, you don't get the same loyal base of workers that go out of their way to make your business a top of the line experience for the customers.

There was only one example of a rude cast member that was posted in the first post.

The cell phones are how CM communicate with each other.

I still believe it is people who expect too much or the CM are just doing their job but people want the rules bent for them (the fast pass at Wishes) and when they aren't the CM's are now rude and uncaring.

There may be a rude CM here and there but it is not widespread and not the issue some people want everyone to believe it is.

But plenty more were posted by other people since.

I personally have mixed feelings about the use of cell phones to communicate, and would prefer to see them used in an emergency-only capacity (ie a lost child) rather than as on a regular basis for things that used to be managed without immediate and constant communication. But I can understand the just-in-time thinking behind their use. However, it shouldn't detract from customer service.

I really don't get the "Disney can do no wrong" mindset that always pops up in these discussions. If guests paying $400+/night for a hotel room or $100 for a park day get upset that cast members are too busy chatting with one another to notice the guest, or are short tempered/rude rather than polite when addressing an issue, why is the immediate argument that the guest is expecting too much? It is really expecting too much to think that for the amount of money Disney charges for their park/resort experience friendly and attentive service should be part of the package?

ETA: As you can see in my sig, we've done Disney lots of times and lots of ways. I'm generally positive about the experience but in recent years we have gotten better service at other, non-"magical" resorts and hotels for lower prices. And I do think there is a "you get what you pay for" effect on Disney's end - they pay below average in a low-wage industry and rely heavily on temps and part timers, none of which promotes good employee morale.

I can think of two CMs who I felt were exceptional, everyone else I would classify as "fine", and then there are four CM interactions that would fall into the respective categories of terrible, annoying, uncomfortable, and bizarre.

Terrible -- Our server at Narcoossee's. Not worth it to get into the details, but she was awful and our dinner that night ended up as the worst meal we've had on Disney property because of it. I worked in the restaurant industry for years so I'm well aware of what problems are within the server's control and what's not. Everything that went wrong that night was simply because she sucked at her job.

Annoying -- I walked up to two CMs at MK to ask for directions to the nearest restroom. They could not be bothered to take a break from their conversation to acknowledge me. I know they were aware that I was there waiting to be helped. I was standing so close I might as well have been a third party in their conversation. Nada. I waited so long I was about to walk away and find someone else by the time they wrapped it up. Not to mention, they were discussing company dress code, earning points, and other Disney disciplinary actions. Highly unprofessional.

Uncomfortable -- We were the only two people on a bus one night and were chatting with the very friendly bus driver. I asked how long he had worked for Disney. By the time we got to the resort he'd given us an earful about how crappy Disney treats its employees, declining wages, lost benefits, vanishing retirement funds, etc. Trust me, we were not steering the conversation -- he was. I understood his frustrations but I was shocked that he would think that was an appropriate conversation to have with guests.

Bizarre -- Our last trip was 8 nights. We ate at a Signature restaurant at least once a day, plus we visited a few lounges. We started to notice that no one ever asked us if we'd like another drink. The service was fine otherwise, they'd visit the table and ask about the food but no one ever took notice of the empty glass and said "Would you like another?" We always had to catch the server and ask for it. Not a big deal but it was just weird. Noticing empty drinks is Server 101. It happened everywhere, with such consistency, that I decided it must be due to a new Disney policy of not encouraging alcohol consumption to prevent over-indulgence. To test this theory, my boyfriend and I started to play a secret game of "How long can I sit here without a drink before someone notices?" No one ever did. We sat through three courses at Victoria & Albert's with an empty glass before we broke down and specifically asked for another drink. That's when I KNEW it was policy. On our last night we went to Cali Grill and the server saw I had finished my drink and asked if I wanted another. We reacted awkwardly because we weren't expecting it. I felt I needed to explain my reaction so I told her about our experiences and how we figured it must be due to a new policy. She said "No, there's no new policy about that." When she came back with the drink she said "I told my manager what you said about not having anyone offer you another drink. He was pretty upset and said it's embarrassing that Disney can't even provide basic service anymore." Yikes. So I guess to some extent, even the CMs think the service is slipping.

I can think of two CMs who I felt were exceptional, everyone else I would classify as "fine", and then there are four CM interactions that would fall into the respective categories of terrible, annoying, uncomfortable, and bizarre.

Terrible -- Our server at Narcoossee's. Not worth it to get into the details, but she was awful and our dinner that night ended up as the worst meal we've had on Disney property because of it. I worked in the restaurant industry for years so I'm well aware of what problems are within the server's control and what's not. Everything that went wrong that night was simply because she sucked at her job.

Annoying -- I walked up to two CMs at MK to ask for directions to the nearest restroom. They could not be bothered to take a break from their conversation to acknowledge me. I know they were aware that I was there waiting to be helped. I was standing so close I might as well have been a third party in their conversation. Nada. I waited so long I was about to walk away and find someone else by the time they wrapped it up. Not to mention, they were discussing company dress code, earning points, and other Disney disciplinary actions. Highly unprofessional.

Uncomfortable -- We were the only two people on a bus one night and were chatting with the very friendly bus driver. I asked how long he had worked for Disney. By the time we got to the resort he'd given us an earful about how crappy Disney treats its employees, declining wages, lost benefits, vanishing retirement funds, etc. Trust me, we were not steering the conversation -- he was. I understood his frustrations but I was shocked that he would think that was an appropriate conversation to have with guests.

Bizarre -- Our last trip was 8 nights. We ate at a Signature restaurant at least once a day, plus we visited a few lounges. We started to notice that no one ever asked us if we'd like another drink. The service was fine otherwise, they'd visit the table and ask about the food but no one ever took notice of the empty glass and said "Would you like another?" We always had to catch the server and ask for it. Not a big deal but it was just weird. Noticing empty drinks is Server 101. It happened everywhere, with such consistency, that I decided it must be due to a new Disney policy of not encouraging alcohol consumption to prevent over-indulgence. To test this theory, my boyfriend and I started to play a secret game of "How long can I sit here without a drink before someone notices?" No one ever did. We sat through three courses at Victoria & Albert's with an empty glass before we broke down and specifically asked for another drink. That's when I KNEW it was policy. On our last night we went to Cali Grill and the server saw I had finished my drink and asked if I wanted another. We reacted awkwardly because we weren't expecting it. I felt I needed to explain my reaction so I told her about our experiences and how we figured it must be due to a new policy. She said "No, there's no new policy about that." When she came back with the drink she said "I told my manager what you said about not having anyone offer you another drink. He was pretty upset and said it's embarrassing that Disney can't even provide basic service anymore." Yikes. So I guess to some extent, even the CMs think the service is slipping.

These are the things I am talking about. If one of those things happened on a trip, one could chalk it up to "they are having a bad day everyone has them".
You however ran into it over and over as did we.

We do not expect "PIXIE DUST" every minute of the day but why is it to much to expect CM's not to be discussing company or personal problems with guests or where we can hear them? Maybe I am wrong in holding a CM behind the counter at Casey's Corner up to the same standards as Cinderella. I always thought "show was show" and it didn't matter their job in the parks they all represent Disney and should be professional.

I searched for this thread because of an experience I had today. When I initially booked, as soon as I was allowed, too long ago to remember.
I booked at AoA. I talked with a cast member at the call center. I was assured (pressured)that if I booked a package deal that I could switch to anything I wanted later on.
We were only staying at this resort because this was affordable for my sister. Well, life happend and she is not coming. So, I wanted to switch. Initially I explained that I didn't feel the dining package was a great deal. Oh you can change that too!
Fast forward to present-
Well, actually no I can not.I was lied to. So while attempting to explain that I wanted to book my new room ressies BEFORE cancelling my old package. I was cut off and talked rudely to. Did I mention that I was on the phone for 45 minutes 20 of which I was on hold. Then I was told I would have to pay for all my dining, now. So I said okay, send me to dining. The man at dining was helpful and polite. I did not have to do this at all.
So I call back, and get another CM that was by far the rudest ever. I explained my situation. She kept asking me what I want to do with my package. I explained nothing until I have been able to book a room to replace the days I am modifying on the ressie. She kept saying what are you doing with the package. I gave her the dates, but again stated I wanted to book the rooms prior. She responded very rudely ,"I know you said that 3 times." She said there is a policy we have to follow. I responded "what do you need me to do, how can I help you follow policy?" What info do you want. Each time I tried to give the dates, and the resort I wanted,she would say but what are you modifying on the package. So ended up saying firmly forget the package, I want to make room reservations. Then I was put on hold for 15 minutes. I booked the one room she had looked up for me. Which she said I needed to pay in full rather than, just the first night. (We are 60 days out.) I stated this and was able to pay just the single and the rest on arrivial.
I stated her name and, said thank you for all her help. She said, "Are you going to finish booking?" Not, Is there anything else I can help you with today? or, I would be more than happy to assist you in finishing this reservation. I said politely (okay catty at this point). No (her name) you have helped enough today. I assume while I was on hold, you ran this by your supervisior. Could I please speak with them? I was put on hold for another 17 minutes and then disconnected.
I am not as experienced as many people on here, but we have been many times and always enjoyed it. I do not enjoy the intense planning it requires on my part. I have only EVER in all my trips had 3 or 4 CM'S be less than expected, and 1 really rude server at The Wave.
We are going from a 7,800 to a 10,000 vacation, Disney is getting much more money. I expect to have someone helpful, accurate, and polite. I have replayed both the conversation many times in my mind, to own my part, and I just do not feel like I was rude, or innapropriate.I had booked my fast passes the night prior and in a magical mood.
We enjoy disney, we do not ever expect pxie dust. We have been very blessed in our lives. We give away balloons, and have at least 2 magical giving ideas, before we go, to help spread the magic, at Disney.
I have heard this same story, often lately. I am feeling duped into the original package, and at this point stuck with it. I can not even believe that it happened.I am actually afraid to call back. Not because, someone may be rude, or unhelpful, but because a really special magical place has become less so. I am afraid a place so close to my heart, is not what it once was.

What am I missing that makes you insistent on booking a new reservation before cancelling the old? From everything I have heard, Disney won't knowingly let you have 2 reservations for the same time, no matter if you tell them you plan on cancelling one or not.

If you are trying to make the new reservation a package with dining, they you will have to pay in full, as close as you are to your travel. It is only a room only reservation that would allow you to pay for one night, and then pay for the rest upon arrival.

It sounds like there was some confusion, and then everyone got frustrated and irritated. Wait a bit, maybe ask some questions here if you need anything clarified, and call back later.

These disgruntled employees are all probably former DIS members who moved to FL to be part of the 'magic'. :lmao:

A few thoughts. I've been in the parks, with an off-duty CM. She is the absolute ideal that we all look for while at WDW. She even stopped doing what she was doing to help out guests.....as if she were in 'uniform, on duty'. It was really too funny. BUT...it was also kind of interesting to see what she noticed as 'off' as far as CM behaviour went. There were many instances of CMs not truly behaving in the manner one would expect. And that was from a young woman who intends to make Disney her career! If all CMs could emulate her, it would be terrific.

I know that CMs aren't being paid a ton of money. But, it's kind of sad to see that we allow people to have behavior that is tied to the money they make! That's really not a good thing. Sure a CM running TSM isn't making a ton of money...may even be in the DCP! But, that person should still maintain a level of professionalism. It used to be that we talked about the employees over at US/IoA having less than magical attitudes compared to WDW CMs. It would seem that we are now saying that's okay based on the money Disney is paying!

An example. My dd, a junior in college, is planning on applying to the DCP next year, hopefully to be accepted for right after graduation. She then wants to be at WDW for at least 5 years to see how it all shakes out. She fully realizes that she is going to be a minion for quite awhile. She knows she is going to work long hours, for basically a stipend! She knows this going in. But, she is hoping that if she does a good job, as a minion, something better will come along. She understands how the Disney system works, and is willing to go along with it to see if she wants to remain there. I would assume that others, accepting these low paying jobs, know, going in, what they are going to be paid. Either take the job and do it, or walk away and find something more suitable.

I don't think all CMs have attitudes......I have just noticed more of them. That could be because I go to WDW so often, a lot more than the average person. So, perhaps I notice more because I'm not overwhelmed by what's going on around me in the parks. But, I do know that I have still experienced some incredible CMs.....and when I do, I stop at Guest Services and mention the experience. I have made stops at GS many, many more times for good reports vs bad reports. Yes, I've had some minor issues but overall? Things have been fine.

I'll have to double check on the whole cell phone issue. DD has a friend who is doing DCP right now. Will have to ask her what they say about cell phone usage when in costume.

What am I missing that makes you insistent on booking a new reservation before cancelling the old? From everything I have heard, Disney won't knowingly let you have 2 reservations for the same time, no matter if you tell them you plan on cancelling one or not. If you are trying to make the new reservation a package with dining, they you will have to pay in full, as close as you are to your travel. It is only a room only reservation that would allow you to pay for one night, and then pay for the rest upon arrival. It sounds like there was some confusion, and then everyone got frustrated and irritated. Wait a bit, maybe ask some questions here if you need anything clarified, and call back later.

Packages need to be paid in full 45 days prior to check in, not 60.

I'm sorry for the PP, but that type of response has become SOP for the phone CM's. They are frequently wrong. If you have any questions, ask here on the Dis first and be firm but polite when you are given incorrect info on the phone.

While this is a problem, I think one of the biggest problems are also the senior citizens. The most rude ones I get are the seniors. I think they are ticked off that they have to keep working at that age. The younger ones are not blatantly rude, but have an I don't care attitude.

This was not what we saw at all, quite the opposite, all the rude ones were younger.

I always thought the DL CMs were much more positive and fun than the WDW CMs. I don't know why that would be, though. :confused3

The DL employees were wonderful!:thumbsup2

Who said anything about taking it out on the guests? It just appears that some people feel that if they don't get the so called "pixie dust" they feel slighted.

I have been many times, I dont need pixie dust everytime, I need employees who are polite and dont berate other employees onstage

Yes, but at a 5-star restaurant, you're getting exceptional service partly because those servers are making very good tips.

Your average front line Cast Member isn't being paid much more than a Taco Bell employee.

Did Disney just start paying crappy wages...no, they have never paid that well and yet the customer service in the past was top notch.

This past trip was over Christmas week and most of the CMs were great, we have never been with a birthday and they were all so sweet to wish my son a Happy Birthday.

But there were just a few that left you shaking your head....the one that stood out the most was the YOUNG CM at the FP kiosk at TSMM who was berating another CM for being late. He was going on and on, and was following the CM around and getting in his face. We were in the area for a few minutes as we waited for my son to use the restroom. It was such an unnecessary situation.

Why do people post the cost of their vacation like anyone gives a hoot? We all pay out the nose for our vacations. There's no cheap way to go to Disney.

People have been saying this for years, but I've never noticed it. I can't say every single CM we met was the greatest person who ever did a job, but I also didn't encounter anyone who wasn't professional.

Maybe some of you have bad luck.

Maybe some of you ask for too much.

Yes, I do think there is a difference. My dd who has done two CPs also thinks there is a difference that has become marked over the last few years. She actually saw the difference in training between her first and second CPs. The second had far less training devoted to the guest experience and learning about Disney World. It was much more "get out there and do your job asap."

When I finally spoke to a "higher up" guest service rep at Disney about our deplorable experience last fall BEFORE the trip (trying to buy tickets and make FP+ reservations that was made worse by the astonishing total lack of interest and effort expended by the 5 different CMs we dealt with), I was astonished at what she told me. She told me that she had worked there for "many years" and that while she trains her staff "the old way", she is in the minority and that most CMs are not given the kind of training that used to be called "the Disney Way". She apologized, but warned me that "training is not what it used to be." I was gobsmacked she admitted that.

Less training = lower quality guest experience.

We did see the difference when we went to the parks on that fall trip. Those stinking Magic Bands did not work properly and we never got one apology from any CM for the problems caused. We kept having to go back to Guest Services in the parks and at the hotel. At no point, did any CM apologize for the failure of the system that was affecting our ability to enjoy the vacation we'd paid for. Not even when one day it took Guest Services 30 minutes to fix them. Instead, they kept insisting that the Magic Bands weren't working because WE must have done something wrong. :mad: At that point, I felt like what we'd done wrong was expect a Disney vacation to go well and include CMs who gave a fig about the guest experience.

And no, I am not asking for pixie dust. I am asking for basic customer service -- when YOUR program screws up over and over, when your program costs my entire party 30 minutes out of our day, then I have a right to expect an apology. I expect that from ANY service provider.

Yesterday, when I went to McDonald's to get a hot drink, there was a problem with the machine and there was a delay getting it to me. The manager apologized several times and gave me the drink for free. (I wasn't asking nor did I expect a free drink and I wasn't complaining about the wait. It was no big deal.) If McDonald's can get basic customer service right during the lunch rush, then I don't think it's too much to ask that an expensive vacation site's guest services rep apologize. Nor is it too much to expect that when I call to try to spend money, that someone actually try and help me do so instead of being told, "Don't know what the problem is. Call back again tomorrow."

I shouldn't have to call back over and over in the hopes of getting a decent employee who is willing to help me navigate THEIR screwed up system. I shouldn't have to stand there and listen to employees tell me that I did something to their system (which, HOW?) And when I retort that, sorry, but you can stop blaming the guest since I couldn't make their system work and it was a CM who booked our tickets for us, I shouldn't get a shrug and a repeated insistence that, "Well, it still must be YOUR fault." Forget pixie dust, how about a decent, basic attitude?

Yes, I do think there is a difference. My dd who has done two CPs also thinks there is a difference that has become marked over the last few years. She actually saw the difference in training between her first and second CPs. The second had far less training devoted to the guest experience and learning about Disney World. It was much more "get out there and do your job asap."

When I finally spoke to a "higher up" guest service rep at Disney about our deplorable experience last fall BEFORE the trip (trying to buy tickets and make FP+ reservations that was made worse by the astonishing total lack of interest and effort expended by the 5 different CMs we dealt with), I was astonished at what she told me. She told me that she had worked there for "many years" and that while she trains her staff "the old way", she is in the minority and that most CMs are not given the kind of training that used to be called "the Disney Way". She apologized, but warned me that "training is not what it used to be." I was gobsmacked she admitted that.

Less training = lower quality guest experience.

We did see the difference when we went to the parks on that fall trip. Those stinking Magic Bands did not work properly and we never got one apology from any CM for the problems caused. We kept having to go back to Guest Services in the parks and at the hotel. At no point, did any CM apologize for the failure of the system that was affecting our ability to enjoy the vacation we'd paid for. Not even when one day it took Guest Services 30 minutes to fix them. Instead, they kept insisting that the Magic Bands weren't working because WE must have done something wrong. :mad: At that point, I felt like what we'd done wrong was expect a Disney vacation to go well and include CMs who gave a fig about the guest experience.

And no, I am not asking for pixie dust. I am asking for basic customer service -- when YOUR program screws up over and over, when your program costs my entire party 30 minutes out of our day, then I have a right to expect an apology. I expect that from ANY service provider.

Yesterday, when I went to McDonald's to get a hot drink, there was a problem with the machine and there was a delay getting it to me. The manager apologized several times and gave me the drink for free. (I wasn't asking nor did I expect a free drink and I wasn't complaining about the wait. It was no big deal.) If McDonald's can get basic customer service right during the lunch rush, then I don't think it's too much to ask that an expensive vacation site's guest services rep apologize. Nor is it too much to expect that when I call to try to spend money, that someone actually try and help me do so instead of being told, "Don't know what the problem is. Call back again tomorrow."

I shouldn't have to call back over and over in the hopes of getting a decent employee who is willing to help me navigate THEIR screwed up system. I shouldn't have to stand there and listen to employees tell me that I did something to their system (which, HOW?) And when I retort that, sorry, but you can stop blaming the guest since I couldn't make their system work and it was a CM who booked our tickets for us, I shouldn't get a shrug and a repeated insistence that, "Well, it still must be YOUR fault." Forget pixie dust, how about a decent, basic attitude?

I hope you sent off an e-mail once you were home. In my experience, that is what gets their attention. Should you have to? Nope. But unfortunately not every CM is stellar or has their act together. I still think the great ones greatly outnumber the not so great.

Having nothing whatsoever to do with Disney, but customer service pretty much is gone lots of places. I called our health insurance company yesterday to inquire about how they had processed a claim. I called several times, and the message I received each time (recorded) was "We are experiencing a high volume of calls. Call back later." Then the call disconnected. No option for transfer. Nothing.

Normal business hours, BTW. (tried between 10 and 2 my time, which would be 10 and 2 at the place of business).

Seriously, not even the option to wait on hold, or leave a call back number for them to call me when they weren't so busy.

LOL.

What a joke.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter