• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

CMs unable to provide physical assistance to disabled

Status
Not open for further replies.
If safely boarding guests onto a ride after they’ve waited their turn “interferes with park operations” then they’re got something terribly bass-ackwards, because safely boarding guests onto rides after they’ve waited their turn is one of the most integral parts of park operations.

Having one group of guests who have to wait significantly longer instead of everybody waiting just a few seconds longer interferes with park operations. Guests falling interferes with park operations.

What's next? Sorry, kids, we're not going to turn any of the rides on today, because that would interfere with park operations.

If safely boarding guests onto a ride after they’ve waited their turn “interferes with park operations” then they’re got something terribly bass-ackwards, because safely boarding guests onto rides after they’ve waited their turn is one of the most integral parts of park operations. Having one group of guests who have to wait significantly longer instead of everybody waiting just a few seconds longer interferes with park operations. Guests falling interferes with park operations. What's next? Sorry, kids, we're not going to turn any of the rides on today, because that would interfere with park operations.

@_@ relax. There's obviously a reason, I was just offering a plausible one up. Because yes, stopping or slowing rides builds up over time. I have no idea how often it happens on a busy day, but 4 minutes added onto the wait every so many guests would affect park operations. I imagine it'd be pretty aggravating being stopped multiple times on one bypass for guests.

Like I said, they aren't going to do anything that would get themselves into legal trouble so they obviously know how and when they can implement that restriction. I imagine they tell people before waiting though, however, I've never had the experience.

Somewhere (either here, or in a book) I read that they might not like to completely stop walkways because when rides are stopped, people in vehicles may get out. For those of us with common sense, this makes no sense. But just within the last few days, Splash Mountain was shut down due to this very reason and posters on here actually the witnessed the mother and children jumping from the log.

No opinion on whether this is right or wrong, I just remember reading it and it does make sense regarding safety.

If safely boarding guests onto a ride after they’ve waited their turn “interferes with park operations” then they’re got something terribly bass-ackwards, because safely boarding guests onto rides after they’ve waited their turn is one of the most integral parts of park operations.

Having one group of guests who have to wait significantly longer instead of everybody waiting just a few seconds longer interferes with park operations. Guests falling interferes with park operations.

What's next? Sorry, kids, we're not going to turn any of the rides on today, because that would interfere with park operations.

I agree that Disney needs to make accommodations for boarding, even if that means stopping the ride for those that truly need it.

However, it needs to be done in such a way that it doesn't continuously interfere with the operation of the ride. Whether that means holding people and stopping it no more than every 5 or 7 minutes or something like that, I don't know.

On our last trip, the cm at haunted mansion had us wait until they were stopping to let someone off, the had my party and one other get on at the same time. I was perfectly happy to wait an extra minute in order to minimize the disruptions. But to refuse to slow or stop it at all?

But understand that slowing or stopping the walkway for a belt-driven attraction like HM disrupts the ride experience for ALL of the other visitors already on the ride at that time, it's not just a matter of how it impacts the wait time for those still in line. The story-telling aspect for however-many riders that ride has capacity for is interrupted. The guy in the graveyard scene, the family at the dining room sequence, the kids with the bride in the attic- the story hiccups for all of them if the walkway is stopped, and that erodes the magic a bit.

I would expect that this is a pretty big operational concern to the company, as it directly affects guest experience and satisfaction.

to WebmasterKathy what would ruin show more slow or stopping for short time to get guest off safely or stopping ride until EMTs arrive to help guest who has fallen and can not get up? if I fall getting off ride onto moving ramp or floor there is a good chance I am not getting up without EMT help. I have to stop and get a knee to work and yes it take a few seconds but I have to do it just a different way to see the problem.

But understand that slowing or stopping the walkway for a belt-driven attraction like HM disrupts the ride experience for ALL of the other visitors already on the ride at that time, it's not just a matter of how it impacts the wait time for those still in line. The story-telling aspect for however-many riders that ride has capacity for is interrupted. The guy in the graveyard scene, the family at the dining room sequence, the kids with the bride in the attic- the story hiccups for all of them if the walkway is stopped, and that erodes the magic a bit.

I would expect that this is a pretty big operational concern to the company, as it directly affects guest experience and satisfaction.

Agree 100%, there definitely needs to be some sort of balance as to how often the ride will be completely stopped. I consider this to be part of overall operations, i.e., how well all guests are being served.

On our last trip, the cm at haunted mansion had us wait until they were stopping to let someone off, the had my party and one other get on at the same time. I was perfectly happy to wait an extra minute in order to minimize the disruptions. But to refuse to slow or stop it at all?

During past visits my nephew and I were allowed to wait at the exit of the Haunted Mansion to enter and board with guests in wheel chairs. He is not in a wheelchair but has other issues affecting his balance n ability to access ride from moving walkway. As I mentioned in first post in thread, we were refused this option this visit and he fell on moving walkway. Finally able to ride again on last day of our visit I requested that we be able to use side entrance go Spaceship Earth EPCOT. Pines explained that he had already fallen on a moving walkway. We had a fast pass+ and the CM walked us thru fastpass line right up to the ride and made sure walkway was stopped for us!

Somewhere (either here, or in a book) I read that they might not like to completely stop walkways because when rides are stopped, people in vehicles may get out. For those of us with common sense, this makes no sense. But just within the last few days, Splash Mountain was shut down due to this very reason and posters on here actually the witnessed the mother and children jumping from the log.

No opinion on whether this is right or wrong, I just remember reading it and it does make sense regarding safety.
Yes.
That is one big reason. Not long ago, right on the a Theme Parks Board, there was a thread about some people who had gotten out of the Peoplemover when it was stopped for a technical problem. Whether people are doing it because their common sense is not working, misunderstanding or panic, stopping an attraction is a safety concern.

That is true to and WDW has tried different ways to address that issue.
At one point, they made people with disabilities wait until there was a 'batch' to load all at one time. They are still doing that at Spaceship Earth. I guess the idea is that one, possibly longer stop, is better than a bunch of smaller stops.

For those and other reasons, they usually just slow, not stop the moving walkway. Most guests don't actually need a full stop; most just need slowing of the moving walkway.
Then, there is an issue of where the boarding is taking place. My understanding is that CMs at the regular boarding area do not have as much control of the moving walkways as those at the unload area have - wheelchairs and other mobility devices are parked at the unload areas for those attractions, so the people during them need to get on and off at the same place.
So, it's important that people who think they might need to walkway stopped ask at the entrance to the line so they can be at the correct place for boarding. (And find out if it's not possible one, would it be if you come back later).

We also noticed something the last few years that might impact whether/how the walkway is stopped - a CM at the unload area has had a handheld remote control at some attractions. We specifically noticed it at Spaceship Earth and Buzz Lightyear. The CM at both attractions showed it to us and said they would slow the walkway, but could use the remote to stop if they needed to.
The one time that the belt was not even slowed at Buzz, we noticed the CM didn't have it (we noticed after the fact, when it wasn't stopped or even slowed stopped and that made a conversation we heard before we boarded make sense).

to WebmasterKathy what would ruin show more slow or stopping for short time to get guest off safely or stopping ride until EMTs arrive to help guest who has fallen and can not get up? if I fall getting off ride onto moving ramp or floor there is a good chance I am not getting up without EMT help. I have to stop and get a knee to work and yes it take a few seconds but I have to do it just a different way to see the problem.

If they stopped it for you to get on they'd stop it for you to get off.

Periods when they don't stop or slow they'd tell you first and you can make an informed decision about proceeding.

I have more problems getting off than I do getting on as I am moving before getting on. my problem is when I get up from sitting and start to walk after sitting. sometimes and it is not always I have to lock knee to walk after I stand up. if I do not get it locked knee does not hold and I go down and can not get up. so yes I can cause major delays

My nephew who is ASD, BiPolar, visual impairment, and 6'3" tall fell this afternoon getting of Doom Buggy in Haunted Mansion luckily for me a very kind gentleman immediately came to help me assist him to get back up off of floor. The CMs did stop the ride but did not provide me any assistance in helping him to stand up. I was a little surprised that they did not even check to see if we were ok. By the time we arrived back at the WL my nephew was in significant pain. I called front desk and was told to report incident to manager who did offer medical assistance and informed. Me that CMs are not allowed tp provide physical assistance on or off of rides.
I called our regular pharmacy at home for advice as I am concerned about his pain and possible inflammation and the compatibility of over counter meds with his large number prescription meds. I was advised to give him Tylenol and ice packs on back to relieve pain n possible swelling.

I am posting so that others realize that CMs are limited in the assistance they can provide to persons w/disabilities. Do not take for granted they will help with any lifting or guiding in or out of rides. Also ride such as Haunted. Mansion and Space Ship Earth who used to slow down moving walkways no longer do so. Nor do they allow you to access alternate entrances unless you are in a wheelchair.

We are here at the WL until Tuesday when we move to. Port Orleans Fremch Quarter for 2 nites before going home. Hopefully no further mishaps!

They have to allow alternate entrance use, if you need it. For example, those with panic attacks caused by the crowds could not do the standard entrance at HM.

Now, they absolutely should have asked if he was ok and insisted on calling first aid.

But I will also say that you probably should not have moved him and required first aid to come out. Actually, I suppose since it's at Disney World, so the paramedics would come out instead. Bottom line is by moving him yourself you assumed responsibility if you caused any further damage. If you waited for them to come out, they could at least ***** and determined if it was safe to move him or not. And then they have responsibility if they determined it was safe and moved him and that caused further injury.

Something that we have noticed that is a bit odd in this regard is that at DLR, CMs tend to offer more assistance (never lifting though, but willing to provide a steadying hand, even pulling if necessary) than they are at WDW. I am not sure what the reasoning behind this is, but it is a very obvious difference.

I have never been denied having a ride slowed or stopped at any park when necessary, except of course rides such as Peter Pan at WDW that cannot be stopped or slowed. And I would definitely be polite, but insistent if I needed that to be accommodated, as that it a reasonable accommodation to make at any time. I would not accept that I would need to come back later, as other guests who do not need assistances would not need to come back later to be able to ride (unless the come back later was simply equal to the length of the line and I would be getting right on the ride upon returning). Otherwise, it's not equal access to what those who don't need assistance can get.

They have to allow alternate entrance use, if you need it. For example, those with panic attacks caused by the crowds could not do the standard entrance at HM.

Now, they absolutely should have asked if he was ok and insisted on calling first aid.

But I will also say that you probably should not have moved him and required first aid to come out. Actually, I suppose since it's at Disney World, so the paramedics would come out instead. Bottom line is by moving him yourself you assumed responsibility if you caused any further damage. If you waited for them to come out, they could at least ***** and determined if it was safe to move him or not. And then they have responsibility if they determined it was safe and moved him and that caused further injury.

Something that we have noticed that is a bit odd in this regard is that at DLR, CMs tend to offer more assistance (never lifting though, but willing to provide a steadying hand, even pulling if necessary) than they are at WDW. I am not sure what the reasoning behind this is, but it is a very obvious difference.

I have never been denied having a ride slowed or stopped at any park when necessary, except of course rides such as Peter Pan at WDW that cannot be stopped or slowed. And I would definitely be polite, but insistent if I needed that to be accommodated, as that it a reasonable accommodation to make at any time. I would not accept that I would need to come back later, as other guests who do not need assistances would not need to come back later to be able to ride (unless the come back later was simply equal to the length of the line and I would be getting right on the ride upon returning). Otherwise, it's not equal access to what those who don't need assistance can get.

I disagree that it is a reasonable accommodation to stop or slow down a ride anytime someone requests it.

It is reasonable, IMO, to hold people and stop or slow down the ride every 5 - 10 minutes, allowing everyone that needs the accommodation to get on at the same time.

I disagree that it is a reasonable accommodation to stop or slow down a ride anytime someone requests it.

It is reasonable, IMO, to hold people and stop or slow down the ride every 5 - 10 minutes, allowing everyone that needs the accommodation to get on at the same time.

Ok, yes, that is reasonable. What I meant is that it is not reasonable for them to say they will not slow down or stop the ride say between the hours of 3-5 PM because the attraction is busy and that I would then have to come back after 5 if I need the ride slowed down or stopped, which is what it seems some of the previous posts were saying they were doing.

Ok, yes, that is reasonable. What I meant is that it is not reasonable for them to say they will not slow down or stop the ride say between the hours of 3-5 PM because the attraction is busy and that I would then have to come back after 5 if I need the ride slowed down or stopped, which is what it seems some of the previous posts were saying they were doing.

I actually don't find it unreasonable to tell people they have to come back, but I would be surprised to find that was being offered as an option.

I actually don't find it unreasonable to tell people they have to come back, but I would be surprised to find that was being offered as an option.

I do if the wait is longer than the standby line. Bottom line is equal access means equal and that includes wait times.

Not necessarily.

Yes necessarily, now there may occasionally be practical reasons that dictate otherwise, such as you cannot transfer and there are limited ADA vehicles available. But this is a case where accommodating you by slowing down the ride or stopping it at any time is physically possible, so wait times must remain equal.

Yes necessarily, now there may occasionally be practical reasons that dictate otherwise, such as you cannot transfer and there are limited ADA vehicles available. But this is a case where accommodating you by slowing down the ride or stopping it at any time is physically possible, so wait times must remain equal.

There is nothing, anywhere, that says wait times "must" remain equal. The DAS itself states that users may wait longer than standby.

So I hope you'll forgive me for putting little stock in what you claim "must" be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter