• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cm's suppose to stop group chanting

Status
Not open for further replies.
how very politically correct of you.. but you sure gave your thesaurus a run for its money. (by the way, most writers realize the #1 rule in writing is "less is more") . anyway, most of these tour groups do NOT come from "grindingly (cool new word)-ordinary and infrequently-magical neighborhoods. " they are the creme de-la -creme(God help us) the upper echelon. mommy and daddy pay these tour guides BIG bucks to make sure these little darlings have a good time, at all costs.
ps are you related to lil~ grumpy?

I don't use a thesaurus. I do, however, wear out Spell Check, Delete keys and Edit buttons.

According to my dictionary, grindingly (the adverb) is not a new word at all. And I've never thought that either the rich or the poor had a lock on grindingly-ordinary and infrequently-magical neighborhoods. It seems to me that the dull edge of routine is the dull edge of routine, whatever its Zip Code.

I don't know a "lil".

And the fact that "most writers realize the #1 rule in writing is 'less is more'" is the #1 reason that I don't consider myself a writer.

Last edited:
We are often at WDW when the tour groups are there. Over the last couple of years I have seen many CM's ask groups to stop chanting, and the groups did as told. This past trip almost every time a chant started a cat member was right there stopping it. WDW used to be lax on this, but seems to be taking it much more seriously.

I don't use a thesaurus. I do, however, wear out Spell Check, Delete keys and Edit buttons.

According to my dictionary, grindingly (the adverb) is not a new word at all. And I've never thought that either the rich or the poor had a lock on grindingly-ordinary and infrequently-magical neighborhoods. It seems to me that the dull edge of routine is the dull edge of routine, whatever its Zip Code.

I don't know a "lil".

And the fact that "most writers realize the #1 rule in writing is 'less is more'" is the #1 reason that I don't consider myself a writer.

You sure got somebody's panties in a bunch didn't you! :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Is there a published rule anywhere on your ticket or at the park entrance that states that this behavior is specifically prohibited? I have not seen one. Maybe I have just missed it. And if there is no such rule, then the cheerleaders were "behaving" in a manner within the bounds of the rules. Just not in a manner that you personally approve of. No pushing. No shoving. No line cutting. No flash photography. No standing up on the ride. No selfie sticks. Nothing that could endanger anyone else. I know that many here would like to see teenagers behave like that they are in church, but I have never seen a rule demanding that this be the case. Again, maybe I have missed it. All I can find is "no profanity" and no illegal or disruptive behavior. Clearly, "disruptive" is a matter of opinion and very hard to enforce. I was not "disrupted" in line. Maybe you would have been.
Lots of undesirable behavior isn't explicitly printed on park tickets, but that doesn't mean that social contracts are invalidated at the gate.

how very politically correct of you.. but you sure gave your thesaurus a run for its money. (by the way, most writers realize the #1 rule in writing is "less is more") . anyway, most of these tour groups do NOT come from "grindingly (cool new word)-ordinary and infrequently-magical neighborhoods. " they are the creme de-la -creme(God help us) the upper echelon. mommy and daddy pay these tour guides BIG bucks to make sure these little darlings have a good time, at all costs.
ps are you related to lil~ grumpy?
Other than your obvious distaste for gilding the lily, what exactly did you disagree with in her post? I sense hostility, but no actual disagreement...

Last edited:
anyway, most of these tour groups do NOT come from "grindingly (cool new word)-ordinary and infrequently-magical neighborhoods. " they are the creme de-la -creme(God help us) the upper echelon. mommy and daddy pay these tour guides BIG bucks to make sure these little darlings have a good time, at all costs.

Just my observation,but I really think the groups are only comprised of about 50 % really Upper Class.

A LOT of the Groups really sacrifice and save up to be able to take their "Fifteen" trip.

If you see a group with New York Yankees hats for example,,that is a good indication of an "Upper Class" group that has added "side trips" to their itenerary.

So,just wanted to mention that A LOT of the groups really aren't Upper Class and really sacrifice to make the trip.:)

Just my observation,but I really think the groups are only comprised of about 50 % really Upper Class.

A LOT of the Groups really sacrifice and save up to be able to take their "Fifteen" trip.

If you see a group with New York Yankees hats for example,,that is a good indication of an "Upper Class" group that has added "side trips" to their itenerary.

So,just wanted to mention that A LOT of the groups really aren't Upper Class and really sacrifice to make the trip.:)

This is true. Brazil has a substantial middle class versus other countries in Central and South America. So they would have parents who had to save up for the trip just like middle-class parents here would have.

Is there a published rule anywhere on your ticket or at the park entrance that states that this behavior is specifically prohibited? I have not seen one. Maybe I have just missed it. And if there is no such rule, then the cheerleaders were "behaving" in a manner within the bounds of the rules. Just not in a manner that you personally approve of. No pushing. No shoving. No line cutting. No flash photography. No standing up on the ride. No selfie sticks. Nothing that could endanger anyone else. I know that many here would like to see teenagers behave like that they are in church, but I have never seen a rule demanding that this be the case. Again, maybe I have missed it. All I can find is "no profanity" and no illegal or disruptive behavior. Clearly, "disruptive" is a matter of opinion and very hard to enforce. I was not "disrupted" in line. Maybe you would have been.

I would like to walk through the parks singing sad Irish ballads, loud. Because this is what I want to do and it's not listed anywhere on the ticket. Do you think I would get away with that? :)

Fellow Disers I am seeing more arguing replies to each others posts. State your opinion and move on, please.This is my third warning on this thread. Yet you continue to quote and critique each others post,question each other in a way to simply provoke argumentative replies. No more will I say please to you in this thread. I will lock thread , you can consider that as my final resolution of this thread. Danny

We go to WDW every January, staying at Pop, so we have experienced the groups many times. I must say in their defence that they are usually quite respectful. I especially don't mind the Fifteens. I shudder when they show up en mass, but quickly get over it, when I note their curtesy. I'm usually pushing DD in her wheelchair, and they always hold doors for us and even step out of our way if we are moving faster then they wish to. I find if I smile, they smile back, and it makes up for a lack of communication. I remember one time, we were on a bus to DTD with only them. They of course exited the bus first, and the wheelchair and I were last off. I tend to walk fast when pushing the wheelchair, and as I reached this large group of girls, they stepped aside to let me pass, and called to the girls ahead and they in turn stepped aside and called to the group of girls ahead to move over. I assumed that's what they called. They could have been shouting a warning to the girls ahead that their was a lunatic with a wheelchair ready to bowl them over, but I don't think so, since they all smiled, as I thanked them. The only time there was a problem was at MK. We had watched the MSEP. Since we had seen Wishes the night before, we were heading back to our resort. However, Main Street U.S.A. was completely clogged at the hub with 15 year old girls who were waiting for the fireworks, but the fireworks were not scheduled for quite some time. They were sitting down on the street and no one could get through. Hundreds of people wanted to leave, but there was no way to exit and it could have been very dangerous. In behind this massive group of girls sitting on the road, it was all clear, but we couldn't even get to the stores and go through that way. I spoke to the CM to ask how to leave, and the poor kid was so frustrated. He said he had been dealing with them since 9:00 a.m. but they said they couldn't understand him, and he didn't speak spanish. So, I slowly went through with the wheelchair, and the girls moved over while still sitting down. They didn't want to get run over, and I didn't want to injure anyone either. Meanwhile, I don't know how many hundreds of people followed us out through the path we had just cleared. Yet the girls were very pleasant. They were tired, and wanted to sit while waiting for Wishes.

I find the BTGs the same. A smile goes a long way. It has to, because I don't speak portueguese either.

I enjoy the vitality of the cheerleading groups. Sometimes they are in the food court with curlers in their hair, sometimes practicing their routines in an out of the way part of the resort, but again usually courteous.

The food court at POP in the morning can be very stressful, especially when trying to find a table that is WC accessable, but that is not because of the groups, but because so many people are rushing , trying to get breakfast and start their day at a park. I understand. Lunch time and supper time at the food courts are much slower.

I don't think the financial problems in Brazil will effect the Fifteens, because they all seem to be from Argentina

What is happening here, (in the quoted post as well as many others), is changing the topic from "group chanting" to "potentially dangerous" conduct.

I think you may have misinterpreted. A PP (a former CM) said that CMs are instructed not to directly intervene in situations that are "potentially dangerous or difficult to manage." The implication being that stopping a large group or groups from chanting (in an enclosed queue or at a stage show, for intance) may be viewed by a CM as such a situation and prevent them from trying to moderate disruptive or undesirable behavior.

The post you quoted is simply pointing out that if having such large groups in the parks makes enforcement of rules (or management of unacceptable behavior, either written or not) a "potentially dangerous or difficult to manage" situation, then perhaps Disney should require groups to be smaller (and/or better managed by the chaperons) so that such situations are much less likely to be viewed that way, and therefore CMs can better address disruptive or undesirable behaviors.

I happen to agree with this.

We go to WDW every January, staying at Pop, so we have experienced the groups many times. I must say in their defence that they are usually quite respectful. I especially don't mind the Fifteens.
Thanks for posting this-the Groups are not inherently EVIL!lol:)

A lot of them REALLY like the USA and like learning about the USA.

I talk to them a lot on the buses,etc. and they are really fun to talk to.

It seems this past trip,their big word was "awesome"-"The US is AWESOME!","WDW is AWESOME!","You are AWESOME!"!lol:)

They're not perfect,but they're not all bad either.

my apologies. the behavior we encountered was so incredibly awful and the way the staff looked the other way so disheartening and then to have people excuse their behavior.. it brings back all those emotions again. sorry for getting irked. :)

I would like to walk through the parks singing sad Irish ballads, loud. Because this is what I want to do and it's not listed anywhere on the ticket. Do you think I would get away with that? :)
You'd get away with it for a while. And then Disney would do to you what it did to Off Kilter! :rotfl2:

I don't think I've seen anyone argue that chanting by tour groups is strictly prohibited. Instead what almost everyone agrees is that the behavior is completely rude and shows a lack of respect for fellow guests of the park. In society, there are many types of behavior which are technically are not prohibited but are nonetheless considered extremely rude. This is one of those examples. I'm not sure why you don't get that as you generally seem like a rationale person on most other threads.
I agree with all of this (except the last sentence). The post I was responding to specifically stated that the guests were not "behaving". I interpret "misbehaving" as failing to follow the rules. If that is not how you read "misbehaving", then we simply have a different jumping off point. As for your last sentence, as I stated earlier, what is "disruptive", or "loud" or "obnoxious" to some is none of that to someone else. There are no absolutes here. I am not put off by chanting and cheering. I don't understand why other people are insisting that I should join them in pulling my hair out over this issue. Bottom line: Some people are clearly upset by the behavior. Others are not. Is Disney supposed to take action in response to something that only some people find off-putting? It's a fair question. And if the answer is "yes", where is the line? Majority rules? Super majority rules? Sensitive minority rules? I think these are all rational thoughts in line with the rationality that you find I bring to other threads.

I think you may have misinterpreted. A PP (a former CM) said that CMs are instructed not to directly intervene in situations that are "potentially dangerous or difficult to manage." The implication being that stopping a large group or groups from chanting (in an enclosed queue or at a stage show, for intance) may be viewed by a CM as such a situation and prevent them from trying to moderate disruptive or undesirable behavior.

The post you quoted is simply pointing out that if having such large groups in the parks makes enforcement of rules (or management of unacceptable behavior, either written or not) a "potentially dangerous or difficult to manage" situation, then perhaps Disney should require groups to be smaller (and/or better managed by the chaperons) so that such situations are much less likely to be viewed that way, and therefore CMs can better address disruptive or undesirable behaviors.

I happen to agree with this.

Thank you for clarifying my post and the quote I used. The "quote" I used was from a CM. And the thread is about chanting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter