CM innocently pranking guest? thoughts? not looking to start a debate.

I have no reason to lie. Perhaps you are looking to cause drama?

I thought it was funny and light-hearted, and the reaction surprised me. just wondering if anyone else has seen this in the parks and what they thought of it.
Ive seen this happen so i believe you. It wouldnt bother me but there are some uptight people out there. Im sure someone here will also chime in how the child could have had a water allergy. ;)

Back in 2004 we where waiting for the parade to start in the magic kingdom and a cast member was randomly walking along and spraying people with water, it was out of one of the bottles you fill with water but also has a fan bit on it, think you can buy them in the parks. No one cared though everyone was laughing and he wasn't hiding, he was openly spraying it. I guess it depends on the parent/person :)

Last June I got sprayed in the back of the head by a CM at AK near Flametree BBQ. It caught me off guard, so I jumped, but I was not mad. When I turned around and looked at him he just whistled and looked up at the sky. He was using one of those water misters that he apparently adjusted to spray straight like a water gun because I only got hit in one spot.

Do you think the parents overreacted? Yes.
Have you seen this before in the parks?No, but my DH told me he used to do this when he worked at Blizzard Beach. He said people loved it, but then, that was a water park.
Would this have annoyed you? No.
Are you surprised that Disney allows this? No, I am pleased they permit it.

I believe you!

We were waiting in line last year to get pictures with Pooh (Studios) and the CM there was doing the same thing. He had a little Toy Story watergun "thingy" and was squirting people while we were in line. It was awesome, so much fun! :rotfl:

Well, life lesson is that when you are around other people -- in public or even at home -- you can't control them and you never know what might happen. One time when dd was a tot and I was holding her, she suddenly got sick and I ended up covered with, let's just say, her lunch. One time, I was at an air show and the guy behind us got excited and jumped up with a full cup of soda in his hand and accidentally dumped it all over my boyfriend. We were at a wedding and someone tripped and the person next to me got champagne in her face. One day I was walking to the tennis court and a bird pooped on my head. Crap happens.

So if a parent went off on a CM for getting sprayed with a water gun, I'd kindly suggest that they need to stay home where their kid is "safe".

Yep, happened to me too. A CM was stalking me and kept squirting me on my exposed ankle. He would hide the squirt gun and act natural every time I turned around. For the life of me I couldn't figure where it was coming from and I didn't imagine to suspect a CM. I kept looking at the foliage to side of the path and thinking maybe their drip was going off.

I'd hope that any CMs doing this would use some common sense and

1. Avoid anything over the shoulders. I don't have any specific issues, but I'd be pretty angry about water in the face/ears. I think most people would react that way.

2. Avoid any food/merchandise. Again, I think most people would be pretty angry if their ice cream/pretzel/whatever got wet.

3. Avoid anything that could even remotely be considered "wet tshirt contest" territory.

Beyond that, I'd be fine with it. Now if it was one of the issues above ... I'd be mad. And consider going to guest services with the name of the CM.

Someone mentioned that one of the camels outside Aladdin's Flying Carpet ride spits on passers by outside, and that a CM controls that camel.

(Another camel spits on riders)

That is the first thing I thought of. This is no different than a water gun....

Well, now that most of us have established the OP is not a troll, I only have one thing to say:

I see the next class-action law suit coming when the wrong person gets sprayed.

Atty: Disney employees sprayed you with 5 micro-grams of water?!?!?! Let's SUE!!!!

Geez, nobody can have fun anymore.

I'm just curious...people come on here and call this person a liar. How is it when you post something we know you are telling the truth and not fibbing? Answer....we don't......there is no reason your answers are any more valid than anyone else. I know this is probably because of the low post count but I have seen acts similar to this in the parks. Not really that hard to believe. I think I would save the calling out lairs for posts that state Beastly Kingdom is a go and stuff like that.

What I'm getting from this thread is a FEW people could be harmed by a water spritzing. Next thing you know, Disney will stop doing this completely because the minority has complained loud and hard enough.

I have a broken neck and go to Disney World quite often. You would never know this by looking at me. However, if I get pushed down hard enough and land incorrectly, well, this would be one of my last posts.

Should I insist absolutely no one accidentally bump into me? Should I just put up signs saying "stay away"? Hell no - I'm going to enjoy Disney World the way it us and I don't want exceptions made for me.

Maybe we all need plastic bubbles around us so no one has to deal with anyone else.

And plastic bubbles, not the soapy ones because lord knows how that one turned out.

I'd hope that any CMs doing this would use some common sense and

1. Avoid anything over the shoulders. I don't have any specific issues, but I'd be pretty angry about water in the face/ears. I think most people would react that way.

2. Avoid any food/merchandise. Again, I think most people would be pretty angry if their ice cream/pretzel/whatever got wet.

3. Avoid anything that could even remotely be considered "wet tshirt contest" territory.

Beyond that, I'd be fine with it. Now if it was one of the issues above ... I'd be mad. And consider going to guest services with the name of the CM.

THank you! Common Sense!

I think I have seen CM's do this- if not WDW CM's, then definitely workers at other parks I've been to.

I think as a general policy, this is fine for CM's to do. Generally, this wouldn't bother me, and since we go in August, I would probably ask for more spray. Also, I think most people could reasonably assume that in a theme park in the summer, splashing/spraying water is pretty prevalent and unpredictable. But, again, common sense should prevail.

I think any CM doing this should know what is appropriate and what is not. Most guests will take it with a sense of humor, but some will not be in a mood to be fooled with. If I were a CM, I think I would try to make a pretty reasonable guess as to which guests look like they were in the mood for this and which didn't. In general, I would avoid small children. And as the mom of an adolescent girl, I think I would just avoid them and their moods all together.

I'm trying to figure out what the difference is between this and the spitting camel at MK and spitting Stich at DTD. :confused3 I loved setting my DS (21) up for a photo with the spitting camel last December. "Just back up a little bit....that's better!!" He was so clueless, it was hilarious!

I just don't understand anyone visiting WDW having a stick that far up their pa-tooties...usually we are a light-hearted bunch!!

Just saying - the camel and stich are voluntary or in the case of Scrappy with prior knowledge.

Well, life lesson is that when you are around other people -- in public or even at home -- you can't control them and you never know what might happen. One time when dd was a tot and I was holding her, she suddenly got sick and I ended up covered with, let's just say, her lunch. One time, I was at an air show and the guy behind us got excited and jumped up with a full cup of soda in his hand and accidentally dumped it all over my boyfriend. We were at a wedding and someone tripped and the person next to me got champagne in her face. One day I was walking to the tennis court and a bird pooped on my head. Crap happens.

So if a parent went off on a CM for getting sprayed with a water gun, I'd kindly suggest that they need to stay home where their kid is "safe".

Yes, you can't control what other people do, but you just listed a number of accidents: a tot throwing up, someone tripping, a bird pooping, etc. A CM intentionally shooting water at someone doesn't fit into that category.

I hope Disney is using some discretion with pranks like this. My son has autism and sensory processing issues and cannot stand having his clothes wet. I, of course, carry extra clothes with us, because, yes, you never know what will happen - rain, shirt getting wet after washing hands, etc. (all uncontrollable like the list above), but if we go to WDW and a CM intentionally squirts my son it could possibly turn a day that is going rather smoothly into a meltdown nightmare for all of us. Please don't squirt my son! This is one parent who will not think it's funny.

On another note - I was the victim of a sticker prank at BC! It must have happened when we checked in and I didn't notice for a few hours. Now THAT was funny! Love stickers, HATE water guns.

The squirt gun prank has been going on a very long time. In 2006 we were in the Gardens playing Mini Golf over the 4th weekend and beyond hot! My DD was 8 and one of the CM's shot her with a super soaker. She burst into tears. The heat? The poor CM felt so bad he gave her an ice cream.

We made sure to let him he know right away that it was funny and had no explanation for her cry-fest, not like her at all.

The squirt gun prank has been going on a very long time. In 2006 we were in the Gardens playing Mini Golf over the 4th weekend and beyond hot! My DD was 8 and one of the CM's shot her with a super soaker. She burst into tears. The heat? The poor CM felt so bad he gave her an ice cream.

We made sure to let him he know right away that it was funny and had no explanation for her cry-fest, not like her at all.

Not quite the same thing, but I took my eldest GD to WDW when she was 8y/o. One day, just as we walked past a CM, he sprayed us with one of those bubble machines that shoot out a whole bunch of bubbles at one time. My GD is allergic to bubble solution. She breaks out in big whelps. I know it was innocent on his part, but I was surprised so yelled 'No' and glared at him as I informed him she was allergic to bubble solution, and then immediately rushed into the nearest restroom to wash her off. Just a few minutes later, a female CM came rushing in, apologizing and asking if she was OK. Red whelps had already started forming on her hands, arms, legs, and face. Since I had washed her off immediately, they looked alot worse than they actually felt though. The female CM said the male CM who sprayed her with bubbles felt awful and just didn't realize some kids didn't like bubbles. Duh! It's not that she didn't like them, she is allergic to them.:rolleyes1 As we came out of the restroom the male CM was waiting and when he saw the red whelps, actually looked like he was going to cry. He just kept apologizing profusely, even though we assured him she was fine and we knew there was no way he could have known. I just couldn't believe they'd have someone blow a cloud of bubbles on a kid, when there are kids who are allergic to them. He felt bad and we felt bad for him. He didn't offer her an ice cream (or anything else though).:rotfl::rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter