CM death here in FL- Help pass a law in MD.

safetymom

dis veteran
There was a cast member killed on Route 27 near WDW 2 months ago. Her family has been working hard to get a bill passed in Maryland. Her death was from the truck driver alleged text messaging while driving the tractor trailer. The family is looking for support across the country not just in Maryland.

The Hurd Family would really appreciate if anyone would like to help. I am listing the email address below of the President of the State Senate in Maryland. You can drop him a short note asking for his support in a text messaging while driving ban in Maryland and help make " Heathers Law" a reality.

email- Thomas.V.Mike.Miller@senate.state.md.us

From the family- We are halfway there!! In a complete reversal the Maryland Senate voted for the cell phone-text messaging while driving ban which is being called Heathers Law. Google Heather Hurd text messaging ban to see all the stories on the news in Maryland.

We need to get the Maryland House of Delegates to now pass the bill and once again I am asking for your help.

Please write a short note to Delegate James Malone urging him to support Senate Bill #2 ( Heathers Law) .the vote will be extremely close and currently Delegate Malone does not support the bill. You can reach him at james.malone@house.state.md.us

Thanks to all for your help in making Heathers Law a reality.

Unbelievable. Whatever happened to common sense? :headache: What a shame. :sad2:

Is this a law only for Maryland? So people out-of-state wouldn't be much help?

How sad that common sense has to be legislated:confused3 But it appears that it must! Thank you, OP, for the opportunity to support this bill and my sincere condolences to Heather's family and friends.

I'm very sorry for the family's loss. I'm not a Maryland resident so I'm not sure it would be appropriate for me to get involved, but I hope the right decision is made.

Text messaging, as well as talking on cell phones, while driving should be banned ACROSS THE ENTIRE COUNTRY. A friend of my son's was killed by a woman on a cell phone while she was driving.

I just learned how to text:headache: it's not so friggin' easy - I can't imagine doing it while driving!

There are certain things that make my blood boil, and Texting While Driving is one of them. I remember over the years watching people READ THE NEWSPAPER while doing 70 on the highway!!!! That was a rarity, but these people who are texting are in the millions....Every time there is an accident on the news about texting and driving, I get all pissed off and take it out on my kids...IF YOU EVER....!!!!

When I started college, my teacher came to school late and when she arrived, she was in bad shape. She told us that she had looked down FOR JUST A SECOND to turn the knob on the radio (back in the '80's) and then BOOM!!!!
Ever since then, whenever I have the urge to take my eyes off the road, I Immediately think of her. To see her all banged up just minutes after a bad accident will never leave my mind.
You can blah blah blah to your kids all day long, but it's not until they actually experience something will they realize the result of their actions, in most cases, unfortunately.

I agree, Texting should be BANNED while driving. And if there is an accident, the cell phone should be immediately checked to see if there was any activity immediately prior to the accident, especially if the accident was serious.

A lot of people don't realize that eating while driving is also dangerous. Even drinking a bottle of water or a cup of coffee can be dangerous. Attempting to tend to your child while driving can be dangerous.

When you are behind the wheel, your attention should be on one thing - the road ahead of you.

Anyone remember the story from last summer about the teen who was texting while driving with a car full of her friends, in New York?

Texting while driving bans are starting to show up more, but not enough. And then, there is the enforcement issue. I have a feeling that enforcement will come only after an accident or 'near miss'.

Here is a very good article about this issue.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/11/AR2008011103419_pf.html

My heart goes out to Heather's family, and all others who have been affected so negatively by such technology. I urge all of you to set the good example while driving, and encourage your friends & family to do the same. We are all getting caught up in this 'hurry up' world and I, for one, liked it when it was a bit slower.

Best Wishes.

Everything that can distract a driver of a vehicle should be banned including radio, DVD, eating food, putting makeup on, talking to passengers etc. The only thing you should be allowed to do in a vehicle is drive. There have been countless accidents across the country from drivers distracted by the above.

Text messaging, as well as talking on cell phones, while driving should be banned ACROSS THE ENTIRE COUNTRY.

I agree. The only exception is if you have a bluetooth headset or in car bluetooth. Then it could be compared to talking to a passenger.

I agree. The only exception is if you have a bluetooth headset or in car bluetooth. Then it could be compared to talking to a passenger.

One of the news reports here in MA recently stated that having a conversation with a passenger is just as distracting as talking on the cell phone (the report was surrounding the fact that the legislature here is considering cell/text bans). Either way your attention is being taken away from the road by the conversation.

Then to your comment on the headset...I find that I am more likely to zone out when talking on my headset then actually holding the phone...I don't know maybe its just me, but hands-free talking scares me more than actually holding the phone to my ear.

Tragic story, but another law won't help. If someone is stupid enough to be that distracted while driving, a law will not deter them. I have been in law enforcement for 16 years, and there are more laws than we can enforce now. Besides, most states already have a reckless driving law which would already cover this type of behavior.

Everything that can distract a driver of a vehicle should be banned including radio, DVD, eating food, putting makeup on, talking to passengers etc. The only thing you should be allowed to do in a vehicle is drive. There have been countless accidents across the country from drivers distracted by the above.

As a driving instructor, I agree that distracted driving is a huge problem. In our state, it is illegal for driver's under 18 to use cell phones to call or text while driving. This includes hands free units. The reason the law was passed only for driver's under 18 was because of the combined problem of inexperience and distracted driving. We talk to the teens about cell phone issues, but also stress that other distractions (as listed above) are equally dangerous. You don't hear about them as often because if a person dies, you can check cell phone records-but can't tell if they were changing the station, dropped their coffee, etc.
Any work that is being done to improve safety on our roadways should be commended and supported.
Thanks Safetymom!

I sent one to the senator who was reluctant. I did this as a concerned tourist. He emailed me back and ask for my address. Is this normal?

Charleyann

One of the news reports here in MA recently stated that having a conversation with a passenger is just as distracting as talking on the cell phone (the report was surrounding the fact that the legislature here is considering cell/text bans). Either way your attention is being taken away from the road by the conversation.

I would bet some of this also stems from when you talk to a passenger, you tend to want to look at them as most people do when they talk to someone. Just a thought.

Then to your comment on the headset...I find that I am more likely to zone out when talking on my headset then actually holding the phone...I don't know maybe its just me, but hands-free talking scares me more than actually holding the phone to my ear.

You're right, in the purist form, anything that distracts from concentrating on driving makes it more dangerous. That includes phones, passengers, radio, singing and etc. What I am looking at is the physical part of holding a phone to your ear. Your peripheral (sp?) vision is blocked on one side, your physical motion is impeded due to the position of your arm holding a phone to your ear and you have one arm completely unavailable to use for driving. With a bluetooth head set or even wired headset, you at least have full range of motion of your head, no vision blocked and both hands free to drive.

Don't really want to get into a big debate, because I think the real solution to cell phones and driving is one society today would not accept. Just trying to look at ways to make cell phones safer while driving.:)

Done and Rt 27 is a nightmare WHEN YOU'RE PAYING ATTENTION....

I pull my Bass Boat down there a lot, and 27 scares the fool out of me:scared:

House Committee Rejects Cell Phone Driving Ban; Issue Likely Dead For The Year
Thursday, March 27, 2008
WBAL Radio as reported by Robert Lang

It appears Marylanders will be able to legally talk on a wireless phone, or send text messages while driving, at least for the next year.

This morning, the House Environmental Matters Committee defeated a Senate bill that would have banned the use of hand held phones, and text messaging devices while driving.

The 12-9 vote came without any debate in the committee...

This is quoted from WBAL Radio. www.wbal.com .

Here is a copy of the cell phone law in NYS. I don't know if I can actually post it, but if it doesn't work, I'm sorry... and if I'm not supposed to post it... let a mod let me know and I'll remove the link. http://www.nysgtsc.state.ny.us/phon-vt.htm

Even based on this information, they (the law enforcement agencies) in my area have been cracking down on anyone who has a cell phone in their hand. Therefore you cannot hold the phone in your hand and speak into the speark (speaker phone function), and cannot be texting (though seeing one text can be very hard).

I feel strongly that one should not be able to have a cell phone in their hand while operating a motor vehicle. I read studies about it when I was in college. And I will say when in Pennsylvania I have been known to take phone calls while driving (and making them for that matter - 911). I have a very hard time driving while talking on the phone. I will not lie. I was given a Bluetooth for Christmas a couple years ago and I love it.

I also feel more strongly about making texting illegal. I definately think (though I have not seen any studies) that it takes a lot more away from driving than talking does.

I do know that many states are moving for anti-cell phone laws. Pennsylvania is one of them.

I do also know that Maryland is a very hard state to pass laws in. I am in full support of anti-cell phone laws and I wish the best of luck to the families who have suffered because of such accidents.

What a shame that the leaders couldn't take a stance and save the lives of some people.

Heathers death was very tragic. She was on her way to her wedding planner when she was killed on 27. Talk about how quick your life can be taken away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter